Dealership Interview Questions - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealership Interview Questions

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC macars's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dealership Interview Questions

Welcome to the world of automotive sales.

Dealerships typically look at their basic sales people much like Civil War generals looked at their infantry soldiers - expendable cannon fodder.

Seriously, most sales managers are looking for a person who is self-motivated, able to follow directions, and most of all, has good communication skills. That's the type of salesman who will tell the customer what the SM wants him to, and will follow the "road to the sale" as set out by the dealership.

This is not necessarily the guy who is going to succeed in this business, though. As some of the responses before indicate, these jobs are long on hours, heavy on internal competition, and mostly short on training. I've found, over the years, that the long-term, successful salesman is an independent, self-reliant businessman who can readily evaluate his customer, succinctly communicate the terms of a transaction, and who will motivate that customer to make a purchase decision in his favor. This person looks at his sales job somewhat as a separate "dealership" unto himself, and takes that responsibility seriously.

These folks don't require a lot of supervison, and normally will either train themselves, or let you know exactly what training they need. Unfortunately, a lot of sales managers (and often, dealers) don't really like to deal with these types - mainly because this salesman is so independent in his sales approach, and doesn't fit into the "company" profile for their sales staff. There aren't a lot of them around, either - sometimes one or two per dealership.

It usually takes a while to get to this point in a sales career. Talk to these guys, and you will find they almost all earned their stripes on the asphalt, and spent years building their own book of business. They usually find one dealership and stay there, and seldom will you find them walking the lot or standing guard over the main entrance to the store. They'll be in their offices prospecting their own customers and delivering vehicles. They almost always will be earning six-figure incomes.

Automobile sales is not for everybody. You won't get much training, support, or patience, much less sympathy from your managers, and very little comradeship from your colleagues. In most stores this is a "dog eat dog" proposition, and commissions are usually hard to come by.

Good luck on trying this business out. I was in your shoes fifteen years ago asking the same questions. If you really have it in you, you will be hard pressed to find a more rewarding career.

GM Certified Commercial Manager

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redlipp
    do you mind working 60-70hrs per week?
    if your working that much you may need to consider something else, I work average 30-45hrs a week and do quite well, manage your time better.....
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 mini1's Avatar
    Thanks

Questions you will be asked:

1.) Do you smoke at least 3 packs per day?

2.) Are you at least 300 pounds?

3.) Do you use gel in your hair at least twice per day?

4.) Do you have at least three black leather jackets?

If you can answer these questions correctly I'm sure they will hire you!
    Current Ride
    -All-New 2007 GMC Sierra SLE RCLB

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 MOOSTOPHA's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mini1

i know you are joking. right???
    moostopha

Toyota sales person since 08-01-08

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuMaxxSS
    if your working that much you may need to consider something else, I work average 30-45hrs a week and do quite well, manage your time better.....
    i did not say i was working 60-70hrs a week, if you would have read the original post i was responding to what type of questions someone might be asked on an interview for employment for a dealership, of course no one in management would ever tell you that you could be working that type of hrs starting out, but it is not uncommon for someone starting out to put in that type of hrs to try and put beans on the table. alright MalibuMaxxSS, i am just curious what type of pay does a experienced car salesperson like yourself consider to be doing quite well working 30-45 hrs per week in the car business?
    Last edited by redlipp; 08-07-2007 at 09:00 AM.

Thanks

^^where do you work?? that's fewer hours than i've ever heard of at any dealership.
    moostopha

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSTOPHA
    ^^where do you work?? that's fewer hours than i've ever heard of at any dealership.
    i guess he must be related to the owner!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC code blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Nissan GT-R

Watch every episode of A&E's King of Cars.

But seriously, as with any job, research the dealership, be able to express why you want work there, and why they should hire you rather than someone else. That is, what unique quality/skill do you possess. In other words, prove your salesmanship by selling yourself.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 espo19047's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mini1

This is the guy we deal with everyday. Get used to rude behavior.Demand respect because you will be a professional.
    Visit the Biggest Showroom on Planet Earth:
    http://www.reedmantoll.com/index.htm

Visit me: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3ttrj/s...rgerchevrolet/

See a one minute tour of Reedman-Toll:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l8BVMygDZ8

Thanks

^^^amen!!!
    moostopha

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

Quote Originally Posted by mini1 View Post

Lets see
    1. no I don't smoke
    2. no I am under that.
    3. No I dont use hair gel.
    4. I have a nice brown leather jacket but I don't wear it to work.

My store hours are 8 am to 5:30 pm and I work 2 Saturdays a month from 8 am to 12 pm. My place is great because I have coached my kids soccer teams. I can take my kids to school and be involved with there life. Remember you are doing this as a job if it turns into your life why have the job.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSTOPHA View Post
    In BC Canada, at a Wheaton store, the 30 should have been 40-45 but ye I do 8 hours a day, take my Thursday off, and dont take calls from work, as this is my day with my brats, and get Sundays off...

Some weeks are worse, and do require more hours, but I value my time to much to spend it all day till 7-8pm at work...

as for what is 'ok' I make enought to pay my Ex wife $1385 bucks a month in child support, which is BS considering I have the kids 4 days a week.... courts... cant win..

So for those who want to figure it out, you hvae to do some googleing... of for those who pay child support maybe you know....
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

GMI Staff Member Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

for me it was general questions/background check over at the dealership I'm at. You should wear Sunday clothes to all of your meetings with the dealer until you are hired (I wore a full suit). That will make you look professional and tell the boss that you are serious about getting the job
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information