GM Inside News Forum banner

What Have Holden and Opel Told us About the 2018 Buick Regal?

4K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  briandors 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Finally, a V6...now just need a coupe and I'll take one!

#3 ·
I'm still confused as to the relationship between the Regal and the LaCrosse. They seem to be built on the same wheelbase version of the same platform. Both have fastback styling; one with a hatchback, one without. Both will offer similar AWD systems and the same 3.6L V6. How is Buick going to sell two variants of similar-sized sedans in a shrinking sedan market? Is the Regal going to be the performance-oriented one? In which case, where's the big-power motors? I'm confused.

#13 ·
All the talk of getting a V6 isn't very impressive as the information points to LGX. While I haven't driven one, I have driven an LFX and I much prefer the characteristics of my LTG. I respect that each person retains their preference, so maybe someone can enlighten me on why an LGX is that much better than the 2.0t. I would happily pay more money for a nearly identical vehicle as my 15 Regal with the 18's weight loss and 9-speed. Those 2 items with its current driving ability should be enough for quite a bit of conquest buyers.

#14 ·
I drove an LTG ATS (pre-uprate) and an LHU Regal GS before buying an ATS 3.6 with the LFX. The 2.0T ATS had marginally more torque (barely noticeable) between 2500 and 4000 RPM, but severely lacked the top end verve, had not near as good low end throttle response, control and power due to torque converter activity and turbo lag/boost threshold, as well as general lack of refinement compared to the LFX (omitting the LFX's idle studder). It was a difficult car to drive precisely when you weren't in the top half of the power band, didn't sound good, plus the thirst for premium is a very real 60-70 cent per gallon more where I live. The Regal GS seemed to be slightly better in those deficient ways, also the increase in mid-range torque was very noticeable, but still lacked the delicate responsive throttle and power delivery of the LFX. I have not driven the LGX yet, but the consensus as well as design differences seem to put refinement even higher along with noticeable increases in low and mid-range torque (where the LFX generally fell behind it's premium fuel competitors and where it could feel softer than the LTG under certain conditions) and throttle response. So yeah the LTG gets you big time turbo torque, but you lose out in throttle response, clipped powerband, refinement and linearity that the LGX will give you. I cross shopped the GTI at the same time, the VAG 2.0T was miles better than the LTG in everything but peak torque and power, plus the DSG just shamed the 6L45 - if the LTG gets a redo on par with that of the LFX to LGX transition, maybe I will change my tune but I prefer the V6.

#16 ·
Oh sure that's what the buyers are looking for, a large mid size car which is close to the Lacrosse and too long to fit comfortably in many garages. At the same time, cancel their biggest volume car (Verano) after only one try (and a very good one) at the near luxury compact market. All this makes a world of sense to someone, but not me.

#17 ·
It is true that the Verano outsells the Regal and by a rather substantial amount. However, it is also true that the Verano has dropped in volume each year after its peak in 2013. Discounting its spectacular sales in 2011, the Regal has experienced only so-so declines since 2012.

With the Regal set to go 4-cylinder exclusively, Buick decided that it offers too many sedans in this CUV-crazy world. It is consolidating its sub-Lacrosse offerings in the Regal.

#20 ·
This new Regal looks promising and let's hope that under that camo there really is the liftback version coming to the US. I still think Buick is missing the boat so to speak and losing out when it comes to their decision to ax the Verano. I hope there is a replacement in the works in the form of a hatch version.

#22 · (Edited)
Agree.

Think a Regal Hatch would sell much better than most think as many new car buyers (young and old) want more functionality in their new vehicle and a hatch provides it.

Buick should bring back the the Verano as the Verano Sports Tourer (Wagon) imported from Europe, IIRC the Astra Sports Tourer is quite popular in Europe and many Young buyers really Want to buy wagons.

The Regal TourX (Wagon) is going to create a lot of demand for a smaller Buick Wagon and the Astra Wagon is already available and Buick is the perfect GM brand to offer it.

Wouldn't hurt if the Verano also offered a Hatch.

#21 ·
I,m 50, been a GM fan and purchased many new GM vehicles in the last 30 years, but recently all the new GM sedan designs are going with a hatchback profile, Malibu, Impala, Cruze, this new Buick all have very little small decklid, At least make it a hatchback if your going the hatchback profile for the sake of easier access to the trunk, pretty soon there will me a mail slot back there to get into the trunk.
Sorry If i seem picky, but I prefer usability over style. It's not even there for MPG help, there's other cars that have the same or better fuel mileage that actually have easy access to the trunk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.