GM Inside News Forum banner

Trailblazer Returns: Chevrolet Announces Global SUV

36K views 297 replies 115 participants last post by  DenaliHD66 
#1 · (Edited)
Trailblazer Returns: Chevrolet Announces Global SUV
Rumors of a new Chevrolet SUV become fact.
www.GMInsideNews.com
October 12, 2011
By: Nick Saporito

GM-released teaser of the 2013 Trailblazer

This morning Chevrolet formally announced plans to produce a new global midsize SUV. According to the release, the new SUV will bring back a historical name to the bow-tie brand, the Trailblazer.

Chevrolet states that the all-new Trailblazer will be revealed at the Dubai International Motor Show next month. Thailand will be the first market that the Trailblazer is sold in, starting early next year.

The Trailblazer is based on the same platform as the all-new Chevrolet Colorado, which was developed by GM do Brasil.

Chevrolet conveniently left out whether or not the Trailblazer will ultimately end up in North America, but GMI is fairly confident the new SUV will be blazing trails in the U.S. sometime in 2013.

See less See more
#89 ·
It seems that GM learned its lessons well to handle the Consumer Reports clowns. The Japanese used their own people as guinea pigs to debug new models for a year, before introducing them here to improve "quality" ratings.

They did this so "first year glitches" would not be seen by the qumquats at Consumer Reports, and it worked.

#3 ·
Good news. I don't know much about the Colorado, but it is BOF RWD correct?

#5 ·
Ok, last I read the N/A market is GMs cash cow even though it is not 1st in sales anymore. The Asian markets sell more but with much lower profit. I for one don't buy this whole release to the other markets first and then to the N/A market and lastly the US market to "iron out" the product. GM axes US product because low volume/low profit but keeps pouring cash into the others?

That said I'd like too see the TrailBlazer brought here with a 4cyl Diesel option and 28-30mpg highway like the CRD Liberty.

#9 ·
Agree with the first part of sapposedly ironing out bits for vehicles, doesn't really make to much sense. And DEFINATLY agree on the diesel, made for economy, not for towing ability, well maybe 2 diesels? 1 eco 1 tow and then a 2.5L 4 banger? or the returned 3.6L? :D

#8 ·
So, I assume this would be an ADDITION to the line-up and not a replacement to the Traverse since the new Colorado is BOF RWD? GM really does need to get back in this segment as Toyota is killing us with the new 4-Runner (there are hundreds of them around here).

#27 ·
Not quite sure why RWD has anything to do with Dignity. I have owned and driven in many FWD based crossovers/SUV's in the past few years...plus 2 friends that have trailblazers (one SS and one regular.) Other than for heavy towing (which no one I know does), the FWD based crossovers have, for the most part, gotten better mileage, been more comfortable, and even had less mechanical problems than both Trailblazers (not to mention a relative that has a 2006 Ford Explorer that cannot stay out of the shop, another RWD SUV/Crossover)

#16 ·
Great news! I can't wait to see it! I do wonder how this will fit in with the Captiva tha is in so many world markets. Will Trailblazer be 5 or 7 pasengers? It looks too short to be 7 in the teaser photo above. Shame on GM for making us wait to find out if it is coming to the US! Though I can not imagine it not coming especially since we now know that Colorado will be coming.

#18 ·
Damn, Chevy has been busy lately.

#24 ·
In 2009, GM ground to a halt, stopping everything except the Volt, as bk loomed and came. From that full stop, GM has re-started the machinery, plans, R&D, tooling and production, all of which takes time. I think in another year we will be amazed with how GM has recovered, has moved into a higher gear, on its way to "Full Speed Ahead."
More products, smarter planning, better in every way.
GM has gotten "religion" and understands this is their time to re-gain its preeminence in auto design, engineering, production and customer service.

#49 ·
Excellent post.:) Couldnt have said it better meself.

I wonder where mbukukanyau is? He will be ecstatic about this good news. You see, Toyota and Nissan have been cleaning up with their BOF mid sized RWD SUVs worldwide. Ask any one of our Australian members how their roads are littered with 4Runners Surfs or Fortuners. Chevrolet is taking on Toyota worldwide, and im loving it!:yup:

#28 ·
GM learned from the ATS concept pic to fill the the blacked out areas of the teaser photo with actual black instead of darkening the image! :D
I can't get any details out of this pic in Photoshop.

#40 ·
I am pleased to hear this, and can't wait to see it. I loved my family's '97 Bravada--I see this as a spiritual successor. I wonder if it will be a 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, or both. If there is a 6, I wonder if it will be the rumored LS based OHV unit (here's hoping...).

Holy cow, I was beginning to think you weren't here anymore. Good to see a post.

#37 ·
If they can get the pricing and profitability right I think this is a great move. Rumors had indicated that both GM and Ford were considering bringing over their Ranger/Colorado based suv's as a possible way to make selling the mid-sized pickups themselves a more profitable venture within the US market. (obviously, the suv's sell at higher margins than do the pickups which means you can afford to make less on the pickup and the product still be viable)

If Toyota can manage it GM should be able to as well.

#39 ·
I'm sure if they bring back the Canyon/Sonoma also, they will bring back the Envoy or Jimmy.;)

#57 ·
WishIhadatruck: With that wagon, why don't you join us here:
http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/index.php
(Lots of B-body guys..)

Back on topic......

I like that teaser image. Very nice detail with the upswept beltline on therear door. Like the taillamps, too, but maybe they can incorporate the 'double lamp' look of the new Malibu into it somehow....

Size-wise, it appears to be about the same as the last Trailblazer, maybe a bit smaller. Don't think they should drop it down in size too much. At least they won't need the 'extended' TB anymore, with the Traverse filling that slot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.