GM Inside News Forum banner

Should GM Sell the Trailblazer in America Again?

14K views 70 replies 43 participants last post by  Ruperts Trooper 
#1 ·
There's A New Chevy Trailblazer But GM Won't Sell It To Us
Jalopnik
Raphael Orlove

The Chevy Trailblazer is not dead. Seriously, Chevrolet builds it today, an SUV version of the current Colorado. Remind me why we can’t buy it in America?

The new Trailblazer is basically a seven-seat tin-topped version of the Colorado, the main difference being that the SUV version ditches the pickup’s rear leaf springs in favor of a five-link set-up with coil springs.

Somewhat cultured as it may seem, this is still a body-on-frame, live-rear-axle truck under the skin.
More Here

#4 ·
The Acadia Should have stayed right where it was in the market. GM should have called the new version the Envoy or Jimmy. That would have brought a whole lot of people that know EXACTLY what they are getting to GM.

With moving the Acadia down market, you have a Name that has market cache that people are going to turn away from that in droves that had an Acadia once. Bad move GM. Give the people what they want, a smaller version of the Yukon that can't afford a $60k SUV, that is a PURE 4X4 not AWD Soccer Mom mobile. Let's be honest the current Acadia/Lambda does that already and pretty successfully.

#10 ·
Right on man. Only my brain is unsure for the reason that I believe GM doesn't have enough sense to be able to fight its way out of a wet cardboard box when it comes to certain " no-brainers" like this. It would sell and I think sell in enough numbers to justify itself. But they cant see through the fog to realize it.

#12 ·
#1) Easily avoided. Contract full size van production out of Wentzville and build it alongside the trucks.
#2) The Colorado is already here. Just use lessons learned from that development.
#3) Did you miss the fact that Colorado Diesel is the most fuel efficient pickup on the market...?

#13 ·
I saw a version of this as a Holden Colorado 7 a couple of years back at the Sydney International Motor Show. I thought the interior was awful - it had the cheapest, nastiest plastics I had seen in a vehicle since 1985. Hopefully by now they have improved the quality! It was a great pity, too, because otherwise I thought the vehicle had a lot to recommend it.

#14 ·
I would like to see a midsize SUV from GM with real transfer case 4x4 as the TrailBlazer however I know GM would just make me sad by not having the 4.3L and I typically don't buy new vehicles anyway, so I'd be just another one of the fans saying I want it, but when the time comes, not actually ponying up for it.

#16 ·
My guess is that not only is the Trailblazer coming back, but also the Envoy AND a Cadillac version as a large but not full size SUV.
I heard from a Chevrolet dealer who manages 20 stores that it was coming back in two years, so expect a Trailblazer, probably an Envoy, and I speculate the delay is to get a Cadillac version ready as well.
A Cadillac version could well include the 4.2 V8, or could use the 2.0, 3.6, 4.3 and 5.3 like the others, but time will tell.
I personally believe that GM not having a Trailblazer size SUV borders on stupidity, as it will sell great and print money. GM, get off your arse and Dare Greatly!!!!!!!

#26 ·
Add me to the list of buyers. Recently sold my Acadia while there were things l liked about it was as others pointed out a car based SUV. I have driven the new Colorado and it blends the best of both......drivability like a car but the ability of a truck. If I could get that in a SUV and 7 passenger then I would buy it.

#34 ·
There is not enough market volume for the Trailblazer alone and buyers will squeeze out margins, only way it works is with a GMC Envoy to share the platform and make the real money with Denali, H-3 and H-3 Alpha Luxury versions.

GM refuses to give GMC anything so GM can leave the Trailblazer in Thailand.

#48 ·
I vote yes.
My wife loves her TrailBlazer SS. It is like the 3 bears. She likes the size - she says it's just right. She loves gardening and can haul stuff and she loves the acceleration. She lets me borrow it occasionally to haul a trailer.
So GM please come out with with another one because my miles are piling up.

#49 ·
I was looking at 1980's chevy truck brochures. Funny thing. When they showed a 4wd usually it was hanging off the side of a mountain.

Do they even show Tahoes going off road anymore?

SUVs are not for off road anymore. They're just luxury cars that are good in the snow.

Saying that, they could much more cheaply make a 'Blazer' out of a Tahoe and the gas mileage would not even differ much.

#51 ·
styling wise it would not work here. they would have to use the front end of the colorado. the styling works in asia, just not here.

the major feature that would lead to success would be offering the colorado diesel as an option. otherwise it will not stand out as an option to buyers who have many options

#53 ·
Gm is foolish not to compete with wrangler at gmc.
4 door cuv off canyon platform.
Similar to hummer h4 concept.
The Canyon is a truck, body on frame. It wouldn't be a cuv, but rather, an SUV.
And yes, GM is foolish to not do this immediately.
The overseas Trailblazer/Colorado 7 looks like an old Equinox, would look much better based off the Colorado/Canyon!

#62 ·
A new Colorado-based BoF Trailblazer sounds a bit sexy, but - in reality - they won't sell too many of them in the US. Not to mention, GM would have to put some silly little engine in it to get fairly descent fuel ratings as well. So even if it were offered in the US, the overall packaging would kill any kind of excitement for it before a full year of sales. Unless it could "perform" like a Wrangler/Wrangler Unlimited & be priced similarly - which would be impossible - then it could be a mild success. But I seriously doubt it.

Pie-in-the-sky dreams of the return of a V8 or TTV6 version of a BoF Trailblazer won't ever (never say never) happen. Ford would have to offer a rugged Bronco. Toyota would have to bring back the FJ. Hummer would need to bring back the H2 (and be wildly successful). And average US fuel prices would need to be at the $1.00/gal level. All would need to be successful before Chevy would ever consider ever bringing back the Trailblazer badge let alone that particular BoF version.

#63 · (Edited)
Yes and no. Just as the Escalade is essentially a Silverado/Sieraa underneath, Cadillac needs a true luxury off-road performer as an alternative to the Land Rover Discovery or lower trim Range Rovers. This can be the base to create from. Will it be taken off-road? Probably not, but at least it will add substance and credibility to the luxury marquee which is something the SRX/XT5 lacks.SRX/XT5 aren't true SUV's but tall cars that are just posing in my opinion.

45 degree approach angles and can travel under 3 feet of water while treading over boulders in style. We already have a "Cadillac" of towing vehicles, why not a "Cadillac" of off-roading?

#64 ·
Yes! I'd love to see an SUV from Chevrolet for a change instead of lame crossover after lame crossover.

A Trailblazer built off the Colorado chassis would definitely interest me, but since Ford is likely bringing some version of the Everest to the US, I'll probably just become a Ford person instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.