Regal to Come With 8-Speed and 9-Speed Transmissions

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Regal to Come With 8-Speed and 9-Speed Transmissions

News Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,777 Times in 706 Posts

Regal to Come With 8-Speed and 9-Speed Transmissions

GMI News Editor

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Editor
    Thanks

Re: Regal to Come With 8-Speed and 9-Speed Transmissions

GMI News Editor

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Accardi For This Useful Post:

FactChecker90803 (03-16-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Just wondering if anybody would buy the 2018 Buick Regal now that it is not owned by GM anymore?
    Would like to hear your thoughts?

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GM View Post
    Just wondering if anybody would buy the 2018 Buick Regal now that it is not owned by GM anymore?
    Assuming it isn't made in China, no problem. PSA and GM still have lots of links...
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan, 30K miles
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual, 225K miles
    Next ride: Maybe a 2018 Cruze hatch, manual tranny, no Start/Stop yay!
    Cars I learned to drive in: 1972 Plymouth Scamp, 225ci Slant 6 -- 1972 Chevy Townsman station wagon, 350ci V8 -- 1970 AMC Gremlin 3sp manual with Hurst shifter, 232ci I6

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    Assuming it isn't made in China, no problem. PSA and GM still have lots of links...
    I have been hearing that the Regal is going to come out of Germany. It will come down the same line as Opel Insignia and the Holden version also.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. GM For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-16-2017),dannyg (03-16-2017)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,467 Times in 999 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    And if it is, then what? At first I was miffed about GM and making things in China and bringing them here. But from what I've seen on the lots in the Envision, I can't complain. Some of these aren't expected to be major sellers in the anyway. To each his own and if it was something I really wanted and could afford I would buy it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

dannyg (03-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,353 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Imported from Germany doesn't sound promising. Sounds like the Chevy SS - will be to expensive resulting in very low volume and a high level of "GM is stupid" on GMI.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Onyx Black Yukon Denali

Hello, stupid question here, if the Regal, Holden "what ever they decide to call it" and Chevy Malibu are all based on the same E2XX platform, ahh why GM doesn't build it in there Kansas City Plant along side the Malibu is beyond common sence, after all the plant is under capacity. Why not build the Regal and Holden there, cut out the middleman and cost, since it's cheaper to build it yourself then pay some other entity too then factor in difference in the Dollar and Euro, but I guess common sense is lacking in the halls of the once mighty GM.

And WHY offer both an 8 and 9 speed automatic. Makes no sense, and to top it off, the 8 speed is an Aisin unit ( a vendor item), where as the 9 speed is a GM build item, Made in Mexico!!!. Ohh and get this while Honda builds their new generation 10 speed front/Awd transaxle in Tallapoosa, Georgia and Toyota their new 8 speed front/Awd will be made in Buffalo, West Virginia, so you all tell me who is making America Great and providing Americans Jobs.
    Last edited by FactChecker90803; 03-17-2017 at 01:48 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FactChecker90803 For This Useful Post:

377Z (03-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,793 Times in 4,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Accardi View Post
    What does Evaporative Family mean, why are there three different ones, and why is there no apparent pattern behind them?

(apparently it's an EPA thing)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GM View Post
    If it means GM no longer has much oversight over quality assurance, it would probably make me more likely to consider it.

News Editor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    What does Evaporative Family mean, why are there three different ones, and why is there no apparent pattern behind them?

(apparently it's an EPA thing)

If it means GM no longer has much oversight over quality assurance, it would probably make me more likely to consider it.
    https://www.epa.gov/vehicle-and-engi...es-and-engines

The different ending letters could represent different states of tune. C is shared with Regal, Malibu, ATS, B is shared by CTS and Camaro while I'm wondering if the totally different code for the CT6 is indicating the PHEV.

But it's late and I'm only guessing.

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cer..._2d0_u3-70.pdf
    GMI News Editor

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Neither GM or Ford has announced an application linking the 9T50 with a V6 engine.
    Ahem... Holden Insigniadore/Buick Regal V6 AWD => LGX/9T50/GKN AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by FactChecker90803 View Post
    Hello, stupid question here, if the Regal, Holden "what ever they decide to call it" and Chevy Malibu are all based on the same 2EXX platform, ahh why GM doesn't build it in there Kansas City Plant along side the Malibu is beyond common sence, after all the plant is under capacity. Why not build the Regal and Holden there, cut out the middleman and cost, since it's cheaper to build it yourself then pay some other entity too then factor in difference in the Dollar and Euro, but I guess common sense is lacking in the halls of the once mighty GM.

And WHY offer both an 8 and 9 speed automatic. Makes no sense, and to top it off, the 8 speed is an Aisin unit ( a vendor item), where as the 9 speed is a GM build item, Made in Mexico!!!. Ohh and get this while Honda builds there new generation 10 speed front/Awd transaxle in Tallapoosa, Georgia and Toyota there new 8 speed front/Awd will be made in Buffalo, West Virginia, so you all tell me who is making America Great and providing Americans Jobs.
    It's perplexing indeed, but has to do with FWD/AWD availability. 9T50 doesn't have a GM AWD variant yet. All Holden models will feature the 9T50. The 3.6l V6 AWD gets LGX, 9T50, & GKN torque vectoring AWD. Holden won't get the 2.0l I4T AWD. It seems Regal will get the same AF50-8FWD/AWD that Insignia gets for 2.0l I4T models.

Given E2xx & Insignia development thus far, I'd guess only the Opel re-engineered V6 Insignias can accommodate the GKN setup...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to steen For This Useful Post:

Michael Accardi (03-17-2017)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '05 300C - '09 G8

Why does the vehicle have a DCT outside of America?
    RedSkyBlackDream

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RedSkyBlackDream For This Useful Post:

91fairladyZ (03-17-2017)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    And if it is, then what? At first I was miffed about GM and making things in China and bringing them here. But from what I've seen on the lots in the Envision, I can't complain. Some of these aren't expected to be major sellers in the anyway. To each his own and if it was something I really wanted and could afford I would buy it.
    If you think the stink raised over the Chinese Buick Invasion on GMI was only because we're a bunch of GM fanatics and domestic car loyalists, think again.

Every time Buick posts the Invasion on their Facebook page, they get absolutely destroyed. It's not even close, the last thread I saw had about 90% of posts complaining that it was made in China, and how terrible GM was after the USA bailed them out to do this. And unlike myself where I'll simply buy something else from GM, many of those people have stated they won't buy ANY GM vehicle.

I really think it's doing more damage to GM's bottom line than we realize.

Think of the positive publicity if GM moved production back home for 2018.
    Current rides:
    2016 Chevrolet Equinox LT
    2014 Chevrolet Volt
    2011 Saab 9-3 Convertible Aero
    1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale

Past rides:
    2013 Chevrolet Cruze LS M6, 2013 Buick Encore, 2007 Buick Rendezvous CXL, 2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 2005 Pontiac GTO M6, 1999 Ford Contour SVT, 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible, 1989 Buick Regal, 1983 Buick Regal

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to briandors For This Useful Post:

'Vette Dude (03-17-2017),377Z (03-19-2017),ponchoman49 (03-20-2017),SierraGS (03-18-2017)

Walking
    Thanks

the 2018 lacrosse gets the 9 speed. The post says no pairings of the 9 speed and a V6 have been announced. Not true.

As for the Envision, people are buying it and the fact that a small group of anti China people are posting on Buick's FB page really doesn't mean much. The Envision's price is a bigger factor in its sales than it's origin. I guess people didn't know GM was already importing several compact models from Korea and has been doing so for years. Buick's best seller comes from Korea, not from Michigan. And please don't tell me that is different because S. Korea is democratic.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,793 Times in 4,766 Posts

https://www.epa.gov/vehicle-and-engi...es-and-engines

The different ending letters could represent different states of tune. C is shared with Regal, Malibu, ATS, B is shared by CTS and Camaro while I'm wondering if the totally different code for the CT6 is indicating the PHEV.

But it's late and I'm only guessing.

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cer..._2d0_u3-70.pdf
    I was wondering that too. I don't think that's the case, though.

TUNE might be one thing, but output another? ATS/CTS/CT6/Camaro and Malibu all have different outputs in the one group with a roughly 10hp spread, with the Malibu a total outlier.

Quote Originally Posted by FactChecker90803 View Post
    Hello, stupid question here, if the Regal, Holden "what ever they decide to call it" and Chevy Malibu are all based on the same E2XX platform, ahh why GM doesn't build it in there Kansas City Plant along side the Malibu is beyond common sence, after all the plant is under capacity. Why not build the Regal and Holden there, cut out the middleman and cost, since it's cheaper to build it yourself then pay some other entity too then factor in difference in the Dollar and Euro, but I guess common sense is lacking in the halls of the once mighty GM.

And WHY offer both an 8 and 9 speed automatic. Makes no sense, and to top it off, the 8 speed is an Aisin unit ( a vendor item), where as the 9 speed is a GM build item, Made in Mexico!!!. Ohh and get this while Honda builds their new generation 10 speed front/Awd transaxle in Tallapoosa, Georgia and Toyota their new 8 speed front/Awd will be made in Buffalo, West Virginia, so you all tell me who is making America Great and providing Americans Jobs.
    Good question. PSA still needs to build the Insignia for Opel. China still requires local production to be competitive.

Many more Opel/Vauxhalls will sell than will US Regals or Commodores, and I don't know how much of a problem trade barriers between the US and EU are, but beyond them those Opel factories are no doubt now PSA ones.

Would it have made sense for them to negotiate a move to Fairfax, or to just make it part of the move to start with? Maybe. Is Fairfax some probably close to 150,000 units under capacity? I doubt it.

Looking at Malibu and GUESSING LaX sales and future XT4 sales, I don't think Fairfax looks under capacity at all. It'll be close as hell to 300,000 units.

Quote Originally Posted by briandors View Post
    If you think the stink raised over the Chinese Buick Invasion on GMI was only because we're a bunch of GM fanatics and domestic car loyalists, think again.

Every time Buick posts the Invasion on their Facebook page, they get absolutely destroyed. It's not even close, the last thread I saw had about 90% of posts complaining that it was made in China, and how terrible GM was after the USA bailed them out to do this. And unlike myself where I'll simply buy something else from GM, many of those people have stated they won't buy ANY GM vehicle.

I really think it's doing more damage to GM's bottom line than we realize.

Think of the positive publicity if GM moved production back home for 2018.
    I don't disagree with them, but how many of the peanut gallery actually purchased a GM vehicle in the first place?

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information