GM Inside News Forum banner

Next Aveo To Sport New Name

28K views 204 replies 121 participants last post by  nsap 
#1 · (Edited)
Next Aveo To Sport New Name
Following the footsteps of the Cruze, Aveo will get a new, global name.
www.GMInsideNews.com
December 7, 2010
By: Nick Saporito

General Motors has elected to rename Chevrolet's global subcompact sedan when the all-new model arrives next year. The current Chevrolet Aveo has been on the North American market since 2004 and has lost any luster it had when the car first arrived to American shores from South Korea.

The lackluster image of the current Aveo has left GM's new marketing chief, Joel Ewanick, to conclude that the car needs to be renamed. Although GM has not formally announced the new name, GMI sources are stating that GM has signed off on the name "Chevrolet Sonic."

According to U.S. Trademark records General Motors LLC filed for a trademark on the name "Chevrolet Sonic" on October 5th.

The new Sonic will follow the footsteps of the recently-launched Chevrolet Cruze compact sedan in that the Sonic will be a global name- further unifying Chevrolet's global lineup.

GM has struggled with the Aveo's name for the last two years. According to sources former U.S. marketing chief Mark LaNeve originally wanted to rename the Aveo to "Viva." Then--following GM's bankruptcy filing last year--Bob Lutz ordered the Aveo name to stay put.

The replacement for the Aveo is expected to be revealed during the 2011 auto show circuit, perhaps as early as next month. The Holden variant of the Aveo is expected to retain its "Barina" name.

See less See more
#27 ·
I don't think they were saying it wasn't. I think the point was that the new name would, indeed, be global.

#9 ·
It's not the name that is the issue it is the fact that cars are allowed to grow old and stale. This is the new GM but until they change the culture it will always be "OLD GM". Change the name all you want but if we still keep getting crap cars then who cares. I know someone will say that the Cruze is a great car but because it was released in Europe first the competition was ready. The Cruze already looks outdated, just another GMism.

#174 ·
Definatly gotta agree on that, well not sure about the Cruze thing entirely. But if you change the name it just means your calling another hunk of junk another different name. and of all things calling it Sonic? when you have names like Volt, Spark, and Cruze for the other small cars. why not something like Chevrolet Atom or Chevrolet Watt just something to go with the rest of them come on GM, change your ways.

#13 ·
Well, at least they didn't go with Spectrum or Nova. Nova was desecrated with the former Aveo type Korean built car decades ago.

#15 ·
I would have no problem with the name if it were unique. I can't believe they'd use a name that's already the name of a nationwide restaurant chain.

Terrible idea.

I don't think Spectrum is too badly damaged by it's prior use, as I think that car wasn't really around all that long or in huge volumes. It's probably been pretty much forgotten.

What about Prism? Those cars had good reputations.

#20 ·
It really is pointless to do this. Did renaming the Cruze get away from all the media making comparisons to the now dead Cobalt and Cavaliar? No. They continue to discuss GM's struggle with the compact car class and the failures of the past.

Will renaming the Aveo get away from the references to Aveo? No. The first couple of sentences are going to read "GM introduced the new "Sonic....(please no)" as their subcompact vehicle to replace the Aveo, which was terrible, blah blah blah. So readers get the sense that its simple a new car that potentially follows in the same steps of the Aveo, just with a different name.

Idiots.

#37 ·
Did renaming the Cruze get away from all the media making comparisons to the now dead Cobalt and Cavaliar?
Maybe the point is not the media, but the consumers making comparisons to the old models. You know, the ones who actually go to the dealerships and buy the car?

We all heard the same arguments about the Cruze name, and how is that working out now? Give it a chance.

#42 ·
Besides the restaurant people may have somthing else to say about it. GM really doesn't need a court battle right now.
The Sonic burger lawyers must be thrilled.
Unless the restaurant chain is planning to get into the automotive industry I doubt they are too concerned about their identity being devalued. The context is entirely different.

And given past debacles (re: Beretta), I suspect GM that consulted with any parties that they thought may take issue with the name.

#25 ·
or "Beretta?"

#30 ·
New year, new name...

The Sonic burger lawyers must be thrilled.

Nothing wrong with the Aveo name. It's a good global name that works in many languages. Sonic doesn't. Oh well, this name will only last till the next model and name comes out.

Does GM realize that the solution to their pseudo-problem of names is not to change the name every couple of years but makes cars that are not embarrassing?

#31 ·
Stupid move. Should have kept the name. I dont mind Aveo, its a nice name IMO.

#32 ·
Some of the suggestions being mentioned here are so beyond stupid.... they need to be framed. Almost as stupid as naming a car after my favorite franchised burger joint.

It's good to see it's not just the Americans with an absurdly deluded recollection of past GM small car names.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.