GM Inside News Forum banner

New Lawsuit Alleges GM Lied About Cruze Diesel Emissions

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  knightfan26917 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Smells of Lawyers trying to pull a fast one for some low hanging fruit. I would hedge all automakers have done this deed as well. However I think the owners in question of the Cruze Diesels are smoking something. They probably did not take care of the vehicle as the owner manual states or service centers recommend or common sense. I have a 2011 1.4t cruze LTZ w/ 18" alloys and summer tires that has developed a small right tire leak and instead of replacing one tire I will replace all in a few months, but just due to 3-10 psi difference my average mpg city/hwy dropped by 3-5 mpg. Also I believe you are supposed to replace the urea injection system every oil change or rather every 3,000-5,000 miles. Then add in driver habits, lead foot, speedster on the hwy etc which increases drag and lowers mpg etc. There are so many variables to this that 5-6 owners probably are the exception not the rule. I know my argument is not adressing the issue of carbon emission except the urea injection system fluid changing but I think GM will be okay and make it through this non-sense. They SAE certify every vehicle for hp torque and emissions. If GM were to lose and not because of faulty cheat box rather a EPA, CARB, NHTSA or whatever governing body inspected this is to blame. Who watches the watchers and their pockets? I assume a human can be bribed or a whole governing body if the price is right. I mean people are suffering to survive which degrades our moral equity/humanity and causes us to behave like animals so anything is possible.

#5 ·
I doubt that GM has actually installed a defeat procedure in the code.
But in Europe the Opel Astra and Zafira are under investigation for using extremely narrow scopes in which the emission control software actually works. Under the guise of protecting the engine (which is allowed in Europe), the actual emission control only works under a defined set of circumstances. Not above a certain height above sea level (800m?) within a certain temperature range and not above a certain speed.
Opel has said that they don't use a defeat device and that the software code was misinterpreted. But they don't deny that in certain circumstances, the emission control does shut off.
I suspect this case is far more nuanced than the VW case. The discussion could be how acceptable the narrow scope in which the emission control software actually works are.

#9 ·
And the lawyers' little portable device won't carry any real weight compared to the EPA tests. Of course, the court won't require EPA input nor will the EPA suddenly get to emission testing every single vehicle released this year. Hopefully, these whiners won't get anything.

#16 · (Edited)
These lawyers bugged me endlessly by email and phone to join their class action in April and May 2016.I'm not sure how they got my data, but they were relentless in trying to get me to sign on. While I had some issues with the Cruze Diesel, GM treated me fairly and bought the car back because of the issues. I have no reason to suspect the car had some secret cycle like VW has from my experience with the vehicle.

The Cruze Diesel was in use by me from the in service date of May 2014 until it was repurchased by GM in June 2016. The car had seven check engine lights in a ten month period that took it out of service for 53 days (free replacement vehicles covered all days out of service) at vehicle mileages from 7K to 21K. The particulate trap would fill too quick and not be able to burn particles off correctly, Nox sensors (dual system with failures on both sides) malfunctioned, and the DEF system and sensors malfunctioned multiple times each. In early September 2015 a revised software was put on the car that solved the issue for the last 13K miles of usage. The car averaged 38.4 mpg before the software update and 36.2 mpg after, but seasonal temperature fluctuations and driving pattern changes could have been at fault as much as the new software that detuned the engine slightly at certain rpm from what I was told by the service manager. In 93 fill ups over 34K miles as tracked on Fuelly, the car averaged 36.8 mpg with a best tank of 50.2 mpg and a best 50 mile average of 58.1 mpg per the on board computer. All numbers meet or exceed GM's representations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.