GM Inside News Forum banner

Meet the Apex Eating 2017 CAmaro 1LE

4K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  john1168 
#1 ·

You’re in luck sports fans, for 2017 Chevy plans to offer the 1LE track pack on both SS and RS Camaros. Yes, you can now get a V6 with wider wheels, sticky summer rubber, track-ready suspension, aero aids and super cooling. There have even been rumbles Chevy might treat the turbo four to the same love.

Press release and pics on the homepage

See less See more
#2 ·
Please bring it to the 4 untouched. I will then have my first experience with ordering a new ride. Cobalt will be gone.

#10 · (Edited)
Gotta spend the money for the v8 1LE...

Glad the v6 1le but the v8 would be the only engine option I'd purchase...

That 455 hp 455 tq v8 has got to be a beast for the 6th gen...

I really don't see the BMW m4, Audi s5 or Mercedes c 63 as having any performance lead over the camaro 1ss 1LE....

I do like DCT s but I got a feeling the 1LE would offer too much to pass up on.....

Wow and I'm digging the front splitter and rear duck tail spoiler big time too..

I'd just go after thar blackout rear tail light area option...I've seen on a few cars....or just get a black 1LE...

Dam that car looks hot!

Who would order a BMW m2 coupe over this new similarly priced camaro v8 1LE?

I'm sorry but I bet this new 1LE crushes the BMW in road and track performance...

Big win for American enthusiasts...

#11 ·
Who would order a BMW m2 coupe over this new similarly priced camaro v8 1LE?

I'm sorry but I bet this new 1LE crushes the BMW in road and track performance...
Who would order it? Someone who has priorities other than raw road and track performance, as most buyers do?

You need to get into the minds of the average car buyer, even the average buyer of "fast" cars. "The Camaro and BMW perform about the same for how I'm going to drive them (occasional bursts of speed on the highway, and occasional speedy jaunts through curvy roads), but if I buy the BMW, people will be more impressed with me."

Reactions: Live001
#16 · (Edited)
Best quote from the press release:

“The result delivers better performance in all measures,” said Oppenheiser. “In our development tests, the V-6 Camaro 1LE delivers lap times comparable with the previous-gen V-8 model. The 2016 Camaro SS 1LE sets the new benchmark for the segment, lapping the Big Willow track at Willow Springs three seconds faster than the standard Camaro SS.
Just imagine what ZL1 and/or Z/28 hold in store... :dro: :dro: :dro:

#18 ·
I agree with you as a DCT would be awesome. I'd buy one in a minute with a DCT...but gms just not going there..

From a road course track perspective I think the manual m6 1LE will rape any DCT sports couoe in the market under 100 grand...

DCT is cool for consistent launches but on a road course it has little value...

I was surprised to see MRC shocks in the 1lE but they must make the car a better track star...

I wonder if cooling capability kept the 8L90 out or was it just a track focused only vehicle...

For the 1LE I'd give up the automatic since it's not available...

I bet magazine tests show the DCT sport coupes from amg, and BMW m division will accelerate from zero to 60 faster but in a road course and from a roll the manual 1 LE will set best track times,,,,

#20 · (Edited)
I was just kidding...the sales volume without the automatic or a DCT transmission will be low...

Most Americans don't drive manuals any more.

(Look at the take rate on the c7 z06 automatic) had it been a DCT gm s take rate on the automatic DCT c7 z06 would have been 95 percent)

Even a computerized non torque convertor A8 8L90 would have done the trick and still fit...

Maybe one day camaro and corvette will offer these DCT or similar non torque convertor automatics..

Till then....the manual transmission is the way to go even if sales volume is limited..

#22 ·
I believe and it's just an opinion we will see the corvette z51 morph into a grand sport model just as it did in 2010 c6.

Wider body work, wider wheels, and hopefully at least 36 more hp as occurred with the transformation from the LS2 into the LS3...

That should take the engine from 460 to 496 hp where as the ls2 @400hp went to 436 hp in the LS3..

Some would expect that in either 2017 or 2018 model year. Depending on continued sales some suggest 2019...

Both great cars...the camaro and the corvette.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.