GM Inside News Forum banner

This Map Shows Where the Cleanest Cars Live

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Jesda 
#1 ·
This map reveals the cleanest vehicles based on location
Autoblog
John Beltz Snyder

Naysayers love to point out how dirty the electricity grid mix is when it comes to charging electric vehicles. Curmudgeons are eager to jump into any conversation about EVs to enlighten the lucky listeners about how plug-in cars contribute to pollution, sometimes even throwing in a dash of climate-change denial for good measure. (Thanks, buddy. Pray, tell me more about the plight of oppressed SUV owners.)

Unless someone buys an EV just because they think they're cool (which, yeah, they often are), they probably have at least a passable understanding of their environmental pros and cons. As many EV owners are already aware, location has a lot to do with any particular plug-in car's carbon footprint. Still, there's always more to know, and knowledge is not a bad thing, especially if one uses it to do the right thing. That's why this handy-dandy map from Carnegie Mellon University is so interesting.
continued at link above

See less See more
#9 ·
This map is totally flawed anyway.

takes into account the grid mix based on county, as well as ambient temperature and driving patterns in terms of miles traveled on the highway or in the city.
The grid isn't divided into counties and some area's of the country import a lot of power from others. Basically your local coal plant may or may not supply power to the area directly around it, so dividing up by counties is essentially meaningless. In this study they used NERC regions and sub regions to roughly divide emissions by county but it still doesn't account for the distribution of generation resources.

#6 ·
The French government just ordered Renault, Nissan, FCA, PSA, Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, Opel and Ford to develop plans to cut emission levels for all models that failed testing. Environment Minister Segolene Royal warned that manufacturer sales could be suspended if improvements aren't adequate.

Europe is fighting mad at the lackadaisical attitude of auto manufacturers and are forcing them to comply or "get the hell out of Dodge" (so to speak).

This tough stance could mushroom overnight. It's only a matter of time before the US follows suit as well.

Clean car; or clean air...take your pick.

#8 · (Edited)
Yes. No journalists, nor reporters remain. Typists.

"Deniers." "Carbon footprint." Those are two very twisted and ignorant terms.

One more thing...most of the maps I've seen have what is known as a "key." I didn't see one here. Is red good? Like the red who wrote this tripe? Or is blue good? Like the blue states?

Missing such basics does not lend credibility.

#11 ·
What I don't understand is how poorly the volt did; worse than the leaf and the standard Prius.

The volt gets 98mpgE and the leaf gets 99mpgE. That is just a hair different; I'm not sure what their testing parameters were; but from my understanding the VAST majority of of volt owners spend nearly all of their miles on electricity. Not sure if this study counted miles beyond the volt's electric range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.