GM Inside News Forum banner

Man Claims His Chevy Bolt Has a Mind of its Own

7K views 49 replies 27 participants last post by  Neanderthal 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Looks like the Bolt is one-upping Tesla already. All of the claimed unintended acceleration cases in Teslas at least had a driver in the car.

arrangements are being made for GM’s engineers to fly out and inspect the Bolt’s black box data
Really? They need to physically fly out for this in this day and age? Doesn't the Bolt have a cellular connection (i thought it did)? Or, at the very least, have someone from the dealer go out and get the data and send it over?

#6 ·
Looks like the Bolt is one-upping Tesla already. All of the claimed unintended acceleration cases in Teslas at least had a driver in the car.

Really? They need to physically fly out for this in this day and age? Doesn't the Bolt have a cellular connection (i thought it did)? Or, at the very least, have someone from the dealer go out and get the data and send it over?
Bolt is GM's baby right now. Anything like this will warrant that kind of response.

#14 · (Edited)
Have you read the first sentence in that owners statement

I did not press the P (parking brake) button on the left side of the shifter.
/ quote

There will always be a dummy blaming others for his own stupidity
Just like there wil always be lazy bums blaming others usualy the rich for their poor status

#15 ·
P for PARK is on the top of the shifter. EPD is on the side of the shifter. Sorry, not having the parking brake on doesn't explain why a car, parked in PARK, would roll away. It's ok for people across the country to not use the parking brake, but when this guy does it he's a dummy?

Or are you saying the Bolt needs to have it's parking brake engaged to not roll away, because that's pretty not smart...

#21 ·
Three possibilities:

1. Self-driving car didn't like work bench.
2. Wife or other juvenile delinquent was playing and lied about event.
3. He did it and lied about it to get all the PR that he's now getting. Colon Copernik Syndrome.

Poll, anyone?

Reactions: TruckMan
#24 ·
Typically a garage is slanted toward the street, so it's unlikely that it simply rolled (as in being in Neutral).

If it has an Electronic Parking Brake, why not just automatically apply it when the transmission is shifted into Park?

Put me into the category of never using my Parking Brake except for when changing a tire.

#25 ·
I don't know about this. So the Bolt has to start itself, and then put itself into reverse, and then accelerate itself into the wall........too many different functions.

All because the "P" button was not pushed? ...... so it sounds like maybe the thing was left running in reverse......but it looks like a lot of damage for that.

How about......came home drunk and backed into garage and didn't want to admit it?

Or, just stepped on accelerator instead of brake?

Is this the only Bolt that did this? Boy could I rewrite this story.....once upon a time, a Bolt started itself, put itself in gear, drove itself into and over a prius, 2 teslas , came to a stop on top of a leaf.......no wait, that would be "fake news"....LOL

#27 ·
Garage floors typically are leveled. Flat. Unless you had your "Mr. Fix-It" neighbor pour the concrete.:hyper:

So the car should not "roll" of its own volition.:fall:

I do not doubt a "smart" car will not have computer malfunctions. That's a double negative meaning, computers can and will screw up.

My wife was telling me she read about some Elantra owner who C/O his car steering for him. I assume it had the lane-maintain system. That or he was on his phone LOL-ing with his BFF.:(

I am not comfortable having a car that will start steering for me.:drive: Nor one that can slam the brakes on when it "decides" to. Ask CD writer John Phillips about that.

Regarding the parking/emergency brake discussion, such as it is, hey, do what you like. I'm in the habit of putting the hand brake on whenever I paahk th' caah. If you have to waste your mental energy calling me dumb for doing that, fine, you don't have much to spare though.
The auto trannie parking pawl can be damaged by inappropriate use.

Parking pawl
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A parking pawl is a device fitted to a motor vehicle's automatic transmission in order for it to lock up the transmission. It is engaged when the transmission shift lever selector is placed in the Park position,

Recommendations
Most vehicle manufacturers[3] and auto mechanics[4] do not recommend using the transmission's parking pawl as the sole means of securing a parked vehicle, instead recommending it should only be engaged after first applying the vehicle's parking brake. Constant use of only the parking pawl, especially when parking on a steep incline, means that driveline components, and transmission internals, are kept constantly under stress, and can cause wear and eventual failure of the parking pawl or transmission linkage. The pawl might also fail or break if the vehicle is pushed with sufficient force, if the parking brake is not firmly engaged. Replacement can be an expensive operation since it not only requires removing the transmission from the vehicle, it's usually the first component to be installed in the gearbox case during a complete overhaul rebuild.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_pawl

Reactions: SRFCTY
#33 ·
Rutt-row!

#37 ·
purely a THOUGHT

GM pushes a Firmware update "OTA"
the car is in powered down "standby" state

the first step of the OTA update is to WAKE ALL the computers and place them in a "service update" mode

I assume the tranny is a permanent drive type and does NOT have a NEUTRAL position

it would be possible for the car to MOVE as the brakes are NOT set and if there was a glitch in the coding / power up sequence that NORMALLY is done with the service brakes applied
but as the car is UNMANNED the brakes are released and a QUiCK pulse would move the car into the bench

IMHO it is the RISK like this that MOST makers will NOT PUSH OTA updates

#38 ·
One would think that there would be a fail-safe mode of preventing vehicle movement whenever car is booted up and updates are sent.

They don't offer OEM remote start with a manual trans car for this reason to prevent roll-away should parking brake not be set, but an electric car should have an electronic lock-out to prevent any motion from taking place should the download be corrupted.

If they don't, that is a HUGE liability waiting to happen.

#39 · (Edited)
I was going to post ... shhh, keep quiet in case the Chief Telsla Fanboy-in-residence over at Electreck gets hold of the story and twists it.

Alas, too late..... his last paragraph of the article covering: "The owner will be asking for the full diagnostic and it wouldn’t be safe to make any assumption until then. Hopefully, people don’t start associating electric cars to sudden acceleration events after the recent allegations against Tesla and now apparently the Chevy Bolt EV. "

No Fred... no apparentlys about it... you weren't there and you don't know, if it wasn't put in park and rolled, or if it was a sudden or a slow creep reverse. Let's not try to tarnish the Bolt with the Model X issues (and law suit).

#43 ·
Firing squad or electrocution?

#45 ·
^^ Wow you watched that whole thing?

What's with his eyes? Is he trying to hypnotize his audience?

#46 ·
More like listened, the video started automatically after I watched something else.

After researching what creep is, I'd want it on so the Bolt would emulate an auto transmission and remind me I was not in park before I exited the vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.