GM Inside News Forum banner

LA: Chevrolet Reveals 2015 Colorado

48K views 214 replies 109 participants last post by  mavsfan25 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Chevy's trifecta truck lineup is now complete.
www.GMInsideNews.com
November 19, 2013
By: Nick Saporito

LOS ANGELES – Today, Chevrolet revealed the 2015 Chevrolet Colorado midsize pickup. After a several year hiatus, the new Colorado marks General Motors’ return to the compact truck market with a vehicle the company says will bring real capability and versatility to customers who don’t need a full-size pickup.

Chevrolet says it expects the 2015 Colorado to achieve class-leading power, payload and trailering ratings when it goes on sale in fall of 2014. Those metrics will be achieved thanks to two available engines at launch and another one coming a year later.

At launch, the Colorado will offer a 2.5-liter four-cylinder and GM’s 3.6-liter V-6. Both engines feature direct fuel injection, variable valve timing and will be available exclusively with a six-speed automatic transmission. The 2.5-liter is projected to deliver 193 horsepower and 184 foot-pounds of torque, while the V-6 is good for 302 horsepower and 270 foot-pounds. SAE certification for both engines is still pending. Chevrolet has also announced that it will add the Duramax 2.8-liter diesel engine from global markets for the 2016 model year.

Unlike the previous Colorado, the 2015 model will be available only in extended and crew cab configurations. Both configurations will offer WT, LT and Z71 trim levels. The Z71 trim will include a new gunmetal grille surround, versus the standard chrome, projector headlamps and specific 17-inch wheels.

Naturally, the Colorado offers rear and four-wheel-drive. Z71 trim will also come standard with GM’s famous G80 locking rear differential, which is optional on WT and LT trims.

When properly equipped, Chevy claims the Colorado will have a maximum payload and trailering ability of about 6,700 pounds.

Inside, the Colorado follows its Silverado brother closely with an upright dash panel and lots of storage compartments. A center console with room for a tablet is standard, while under-seat storage will be available for the rear. Colorado also features an upper glove box, as in Silverado. Perhaps one of the most interesting interior tidbits is that Chevrolet will offer a floor-mounted shifter in the Colorado.

Colorado Z71 will also gain unique interior colors, including embossed seatbacks and contrast stitching.

Like the Silverado, the Colorado will offer all of the company’s latest features. Among the list are forward collision alert, lane departure warning and Chevrolet’s MyLink. Additionally, Colorado will offer an optional 3.4-inch color driver’s information system. LT and LTZ also come standard with an eight-inch color touchscreen and multiple USB ports. A navigation system will be optional.

Aside from the fun stuff, Colorado will also have six standard airbags and a standard rear-view camera. Z71 trucks will also come with hill descent control, a feature that debuted on the 2014 Silverado Z71 as well.

Production of the new Colorado will commence in fall 2014 at GM’s Wentzville, Mo. assembly plant.

Press Release said:
LOS ANGELES – Chevrolet today unveiled the all-new 2015 Chevrolet Colorado, which will redefine the midsize truck and offer real truck capability and versatility to customers who don’t require a full-size truck.

The new Colorado is built with the DNA of a true Chevy truck, expected to deliver class-leading power, payload and trailering ratings. Colorado goes on sale in fall 2014 as a 2015 model.

“Our strategy is simple: meet the needs of the broadest possible customer base, and let them choose precisely the right truck to meet their needs,” said Mark Reuss, GM president of North America. “The all-new Colorado benefits from the solid foundation established by the Silverado, and it reinvents the midsize truck, while reinvigorating the segment at the same time.”

The new Colorado was developed for the North American truck customer, with distinctive design, comfort and connectivity features, including segment firsts such as available forward collision alert and lane departure warning.

Chevrolet expects Colorado to be the most powerful truck in the segment, allowing owners to haul and tow more. A 2.5L I-4 is standard, and a 3.6L V-6 is available. Each engine is tuned, tested and validated for truck use, and each features direct injection and variable valve timing to optimize power and efficiency. Each is matched with a six-speed automatic transmission.

When properly equipped, the Colorado is expected to offer class leading payload capacity and trailering capacity of more than 6,700 pounds (3,039 kg). That’s more than enough capability to throw a weekend’s worth of camping gear in the bed and tow a boat to a favorite lake.

Colorado will also offer the segment’s only diesel engine in its second year – a DURAMAX 2.8L I-4 turbodiesel that’s already been proven in tough global markets. The diesel engine will expand Colorado’s powertrain lineup to cover the broadest range of needs, taking Colorado’s capability and efficiency to higher levels.
“We designed the Colorado to be the most versatile and most capable in its segment, bar none,” said Jeff Luke, executive engineer, GM Trucks. “Not everyone needs full-size capability, but they still deserve the strength and true-truck

attributes that come in larger models. The Colorado delivers capability with confidence – and a fun-to-drive spirit that complements active lifestyles.”

Designed with a zeal for adventure

The Colorado’s North American design is unique, with a confident stance and a sporty demeanor. Taller bedsides, for example, are exclusive to North America and match the aggressive, raked belt line of the cab, creating a distinctive proportion that reinforces the truck’s athleticism, while also offering greater security to items stored in the bed.

Three configurations of the 2015 Colorado are offered – an extended cab model with a 6-foot bed, a crew cab with a 5-foot bed and a crew cab with a 6-foot bed. With the tailgate down, the 6-foot bed allows 8-foot-long items to be hauled within the vehicle.

“The new Colorado’s design brings a youthful breath of fresh air to the midsize truck segment and puts a progressive spin on Chevrolet’s true-truck styling,” said Ken Parkinson, executive director of Chevrolet Design. “It’s like the younger, more eager brother of the Silverado – a Chevy truck through and through, with great zeal and a spirit of adventure.”

WT, LT and Z71 trims are available, all in 2WD or 4WD. The off-road-inspired Z71 is the brawniest of the bunch. It also features a gunmetal grille surround – a change from the chrome standard on the other models – projector headlamps and unique 17-inch aluminum wheels.

The Colorado features triple-sealed doors inlaid in the body sides, like the 2014 Silverado, for improved aerodynamic performance and a quieter interior.
To help keep overall mass down and improve the front-to-rear weight balance, the Colorado features a segment-first aluminum hood. It also features the segment’s only active aero grille shutters, which close at certain highway speeds to enhance aerodynamics.

And because it’s a true Chevy truck, the Colorado leaves nothing on the table when it comes to innovative solutions for hauling and accessing cargo:

 Standard CornerStep rear bumper design pioneered on the 2014 Silverado
 Available EZ Lift-and-Lower tailgate that uses an internal torsion bar to make
raising the tailgate easier with one hand, and a damper for more-controlled
lowering
 Standard two-tier loading that allows a platform to effectively split the bed
into upper and lower sections, making it easier to haul, store and conceal
items such as tools
 Thirteen standard tie-down locations throughout the bed for use with
available, movable cargo tie-down rings
 Standard bed rail and tailgate protectors
 Available factory-installed spray-in bed liner.

An interior for work, recreation and everyday comfort

Blending cues from its bigger brother Silverado with a style all its own, the interior of the 2015 Colorado is comfortable, cleverly equipped and well connected. A bold, upright instrument panel with large instruments and a central driver information center is similar to Silverado, while features including a center console with a floor- mounted shifter are similar to those found in midsize cars and crossovers.

The Colorado’s cabin is also distinguished with exceptional attention to detail and premium appointments, including a sculpted headliner that enhances headroom, halo lighting on key controls for easier view and an open area at the front of the center console for easier phone charging. The Z71 model features exclusive color and trim details, including embossed seatbacks and contrast stitching.

“We took the best attributes of full-size trucks and midsize cars to develop a passenger space that delivers a balance of functionality and comfort that’s unmatched,” said Parkinson. “It’s also designed to be as useful as possible, with storage compartments and clever features throughout, for owners who will use the Colorado as their daily driver and for weekend getaways.”

Interior details include:

 Sculpted door panels that make it easier to enter/exit the vehicle
 Upper-instrument panel storage bin (when not equipped with the uplevel
audio system) and large glove box volume
 Standard center console with room to store a tablet
 Rear under-seat storage.

Colorado’s seats are designed for long-haul comfort and wear, too, with dual- firmness foam, for greater comfort on long drives, and high-wear, stain-resistant cloth seating trim. Leather appointed seating is available.

Connectivity, control and safety technologies enhance Colorado’s driving experience

The new Colorado’s technologies are aimed at complementing owners’ lifestyles with connectivity and other features that support their daily and recreational lives – and help keep them safe, including:

 Eight-inch diagonal color touch screen (LT, Z71) and multiple USB drives
 3.4-inch diagonal driver information screen in the instrument cluster
 Available next-generation OnStar and MyLink enhancements with gesture
recognition and natural language voice recognition
 Available navigation.
Standard and available features designed to keep the Colorado’s occupants safe before, during and after a crash, including:
 Six standard air bags, including head side curtain air bags designed for occupant ejection mitigation
 Large rearview mirrors and standard rear-vision camera system for greater visibility
 Segment-first application of forward collision alert (available)
 Segment-first application of lane departure warning (available)
 Standard StabiliTrak stability control system with rollover mitigation
technology, trailer sway control, hill start assist and hill descent control (Z71).

Chevy truck DNA supports leading capabilities

The Colorado delivers the capability expected of a Chevy truck – including segment- leading payload and trailering. Like the Silverado, the Colorado is built on a fully boxed perimeter frame, which provides the strength to support its capabilities, as well as a confident, smooth and quiet ride.

A coil-over-type front suspension features aluminum knuckles that are low in mass and high in strength, contributing to a more responsive, immediate feel to driver inputs, as well as efficiency. It also features the segment’s first application of electric power steering, which enhances efficiency by eliminating the consumption of a feature conventionally driven by the engine.

And speaking of steering, the Colorado has a short turning radius of only about 41 feet (12.5 meters), enabling it to turn around easier in tighter areas such as on city streets or backing a trailer into a camping spot.

Four-wheel disc brakes, with four-piston front calipers, are standard and feature DuralifeTM brake rotors – also pioneered on the 2014 Silverado. They offer up to double the service life, which can save money on maintenance.

Another Chevy truck feature offered on the Colorado is the G80 automatic locking rear differential. Introduced by Chevy more than 40 years ago, it gives drivers a traction advantage when it’s needed. It is standard on Z71 and available on WT and LT.

Truck-tuned powertrains are designed for work, efficiency

The 2.5L and 3.6L engines offered in the Colorado are based on proven designs found in other Chevrolet vehicles, but tuned uniquely for truck duty – including more torque at lower rpm – for a more confident feeling of power when the Colorado is loaded or pulling a trailer.

The 2.5L four is estimated at 193 horsepower (146 kW) and 184 lb.-ft. of torque (253 Nm), with approximately 90 percent of the peak torque available from 2,000 rpm to 6,200 rpm. The 3.6L engine is estimated at 302 horsepower (224 kW) and 270 lb.-ft. of torque (366 Nm). SAE certification of the power ratings is pending.
Aluminum blocks and forged-steel crankshafts, along with dual-overhead camshafts with variable valve timing, direct injection and jet-spray piston cooling are features shared on both engines. A number of extended-life components are designed to reduce maintenance intervals, which can help reduce the cost of ownership.
All models are matched with a six-speed automatic that complements the truck- tuned engines with features that make hauling and trailering easier and more comfortable, including auto grade braking and a tow/haul mode.

Colorado’s powertrain options will expand in 2016 with an all-new diesel engine that will offer exceptional levels of torque and efficiency for the segment – greatly expanding the capabilities of Chevy’s all-new midsize truck.

Chevrolet will continue to work on and develop the Colorado until the start of production in 2014. The content of this release is based on current GM testing and is subject to change.

See less See more
#9 ·
The press release posted above states the following:

Three configurations of the 2015 Colorado are offered – an extended cab model with a 6-foot bed, a crew cab with a 5-foot bed and a crew cab with a 6-foot bed. With the tailgate down, the 6-foot bed allows 8-foot-long items to be hauled within the vehicle.
No mention of a regular cab.

#3 ·
The one interior picture... the side mirrors look extremely low. Just me? Needs a 5.3L V8 option.

#5 ·
Very disappointing - same awful interior from the Silverdodo and this is nothing more than some old asian Government Motors pickup with a few tweaks - this thing is not modern or fresh - it is a bloated huge midsize truck.

I was so hoping for something great - this will not sell well, will not steal sales from the Silverdodo, and most importantly, won't impress other brands' owners to trade.

I'm beginning to think that Government Motors is intentionally trying to build garbage - they do it so frequently.

#6 ·
Very disappointing - same awful interior from the Silverdodo and this is nothing more than some old asian Government Motors pickup with a few tweaks - this thing is not modern or fresh - it is a bloated huge midsize truck.

I was so hoping for something great - this will not sell well, will not steal sales from the Silverdodo, and most importantly, won't impress other brands' owners to trade.

I'm beginning to think that Government Motors is intentionally trying to build garbage - they do it so frequently.

#8 ·
Surprised I'm not seeing any LTZ 4.3 or Z71 4.3 type action. Sorta expected that as a top engine
looks like they actually used the Silvy's tails on this thing
also like the side step on the rear bumper, happy its proliferating to these models

#81 ·
4.3L, that engine is only for trucks, oh wait a minute............ :blink:

The Colorado absolutely destroys the Tacoma in the looks department........................
As well as the Silverado.......................

Why didn't they make the Silverado look more like this? The Colorado has a much fresher design and an all around cooler vibe. It also looks like it could be a worthy off-road rig!
I'm with you 100%, maybe now some people will realize why I pooh-poohed the look of the K2XX Trucks. This only further PMO, proving that GM can make something attractive.

#11 ·
So disappointed there's no regular cab, no manual transmission, and no ZQ8 suspension.
I would have replaced my ZQ8 with a new one but now I don't know what will replace it. <sigh>

#15 ·
This looks great! Hopefully the MPGs make it a knock out. This also has me really excited to see the new Canyon. I wonder how they'll differentiate it other than the front end? Maybe slap a turbo on that diesel for the Denali trim? Drool. Maybe even bring back the four-wheel steering they had some years back.

#20 ·
Doing the conversion on the diesel from overseas directly correlates to about 29mpg on their cycles.. could the NA colorado with this configuration crack 30?
if i was incorrect with my conversions i apologize, did it by hand

#23 ·
The problem with the regular cab is it would either have to have an 8 foot bed if they used the available frame (like the overseas version), or they would have to develop a shorter wheelbase for a 6 foot bed. The crew cab long bed required a new longer frame, and since that should easily be more profitable than a regular cab I'm sure that's why it got the go-ahead.

BTW, where are the pics of the crew cab long bed?

#25 ·
BTW, where are the pics of the crew cab long bed?
Agreed. I'd like to see that too; being the configuration I'd be most likely to buy.

I also like the bike rack in the video. So simple it's stupid.

#26 ·
Damn, I was hoping for a 4.3L option. I want to see it more widely used. I guess I'll wait for the diesel if I were to get one.

And why does GM say the 2014 Silverado 'pioneered' the bumper step? Did marketing forget about the feature on the Avalanche back in 2001? Just annoys me that they are bragging about their new feature they introduced 12 years ago and forgot about. /rant

#27 ·
Very nice. But Fall of 2014! Mercy, that's a long lead!

#28 ·
BEat me to the posting of pics. I will be buying a Black Z71 Crew Cab long bed with the 2.8. Hopefully it will achieve the magical 30 MPGs but I'm skeptical as I imagine this is going to be a heavy truck in this setup

#41 ·
Very good styling job on the front of this truck, not so sure about the wheel arches though.
Q: do you guys get trucks in cab chassis and cab flat tray configurations? I never seem to see any in articles ?

One GM ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.