GM Inside News Forum banner

Idled Plants to Reopen Monday May 9th

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Bigbee60 
#1 ·
GM workers in Spring Hill go back to work Monday
Columbia Daily Herald
James Bennett

UAW Local 1853’s chairman told workers Tuesday they will be going back to their jobs Monday as scheduled.

Assembly lines at General Motors plant in Spring Hill have been idle since April 25. They were closed because of a parts shortage after earthquakes in Japan.

“I just got out of a meeting with the senior leadership of General Motors,” Mike Herron wrote on his Facebook page, “and we will be starting the plant up as planned on Monday, May 9.

“The electronic components that were unavailable due to impact to suppliers from earthquakes in Japan have been secured. Please plan on returning to work May 9 as you were scheduled prior to this part interruption. I will continue to update you on any additional information as it becomes available.”

Three other plants closed because of the parts shortage — in Oshawa, Ontario; Lordstown, Ohio; and Fairfax, Kan. — were expected to reopen as well, GM Communications Manager Tom W. Wickham told The Daily Herald.

- See more at: http://columbiadailyherald.com/news...hill-go-back-work-monday#sthash.oPKFQbYE.dpuf

See less See more
#2 ·
I think this is one of the reasons for Cadillacs slow showing recently. XT5 is a very important product and production was stopped due to this parts thing right at the point when dealers were running out of SRX's.

#5 ·
The plant idled on the 25th of April...........

How many XT5's do you think were not sold in April because the plant didn't build XT5's on the 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th and 29th of April?

Isn't transit usually weeks, not days? (not to mention, these are probably all going through an extra Post-Production QC process)

#4 ·
Exactly.

Not to change the subject, but as dismal as Cadillac sedan sales are, so are other brands. (Lincolns good showing last month was entirely crossovers. Their only viable sedan saw sales drop significantly). And for the time being, the XT5 is Cadillacs only crossover.

#7 ·
Hmmm, interesting Ed, so we're back to Cadillac not having an effing clue how to manage the SRX runout and XT5 runup. Someone had mentioned 3 weeks of stopped production, but if we're talking one week at the end of the month, that blip won't show until at least May. And here I was ready to believe it was out of their hands!

#10 ·
Getting some new information in as we speak..................

"Appears" there is a lot of XT5's out there, "somewhere in the pipeline"...............

Good, lets get that pipeline filled and product on the lots.
I suspect post-production fixes are the bug-a-boo, too many resources were needed up in Lordstown, must have dropped the ball in Spring Hill.

Pipeline (see visual) to aid in understand the hurdle..........

#9 ·
Yes, you either cry over spilled milk or get cracking on building today's products.
I wouldn't be critical of Cadillac's "missteps" just yet with Continental set to bow in late Q3.
Ford better get this baby away clean or the critics will pounce on it like they did with MKZ launch.

#11 ·
Fairfax won't be building Malibu's originally scheduled for the week of 4/25 until the week of 5/16 now, so not all production will be back online on 5/9. (source: GM Production office)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.