GM Inside News Forum banner

I Just Saw Spy Photos of the Mid Engine Vette

11K views 68 replies 33 participants last post by  GM Insider News 
#1 ·
Our Autoguide office homies just got their hands on spyshots of the alleged Mid-Engine Corvette.

They were snapped from almost a mile away so details aren't terrible forthcoming.

It certainly seems like the greenhouse has been altered and what looks like a recessed air intake. No profile shots unfortunately.

More to come...

#12 ·
Anybody else find these two images odd? In the first the mid-engined car is closest to the camera, yet appears to be quite a bit smaller than both the Vette and Caddy, yet in the second it's further away and appears to dwarf the Caddy. In the first the Corvette appears humongous in relation to the Caddy, just really odd images. Almost feels like a bad photoshop.

#22 ·
I know it's only speculation, but Autoblog is guessing at a $400k price for this mid-engined Vette. I think it's safe to assume that it will be significantly more expensive at it's base than today's C7, thus it's my opinion that this will debut beside the C7 Vette, not in place of it. Even if it ran $150k base the volume is going to be a fraction of what C7 sells so it cannot possibly be a C8 Vette. At least not in the sense that C7 replaced C6, a $150k plus mid-engine C8 cannot replace C7 in the market.

#26 ·
Ok, Ok lets play speculate:

We see a presumed Corvette/Cadillac mule chaperoned by one Corvette, and a Cadillac armada.

Could these be powertrain mules for a new hi-po TTV6 to be shared by all involved?

Is a Corvette with a TTV6 too much of an odd-dity?

But then the quip about it never coming out during the day would be quite odd indeed...

#29 ·
If GM is planning to take this thing racing, a la the Ford GT, then I could see the possibility of a TTV6. It would be undesirable IMO, but it is what it is.

More realistically from a road car point of view, and still a desirable engine for racing, is a TT Cadillac V8. But beyond that, I really have no idea what to expect. Will it be a hybrid like the NSX? Will it be an affordable carbon tub like the 4C? Will there be one variant or will there be a Caddy as well? Fun times, regardless.

#30 ·
Given how stupid fast the C7 Z06 is on a track, virtually tying or beating the 918's and la Ferraris on some tracks, I do not see why Chevrolet would go for a Mid Engined version, it makes no sense since Chevrolet is not exactly a prestige brand though they do sell lots of expensive cars.

Chevrolet has always been an everyman's car with a racing blood in it.. Its never been a prestige look at me brand...

#34 · (Edited)
Will you guys think less of me if I just can't get excited about this? Setting aside all the arguments about the Corvette lineage, I can conceive of no scenario where I'd dish out over $100K for a car.

#37 ·
Considering the performance of the LT4 I would want that motor in the mid engine corvette.

Let Cadillac have the twin turbo v6 or v8 DOHC engine.

I believe the central structure of the c7 can be used for the upcoming mid engine model.

Sure would like a dual clutch transmission even though the resale values of the manual transmission ferraris are 4 times the dct versions...

Originally I wasn't that thrilled about the mid engine corvette but now that it's almost here...I'm very interested.

#40 ·
Honestly it looks just like another version of the C7 Corvette instead of a completely different car, if you use something to compare size between the prototype and the C7 they are the same height. Also some of the details that you can see are essentially the same as the C7. It could just be a MCE C7 after all 2017 will be model year number 4.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.