GM Inside News Forum banner

Heard: GM Cancels Next Generation Hybrid Trucks, SUVs

48K views 194 replies 103 participants last post by  TruckMan 
#1 ·
GM shakes up full-size truck program.
www.GMInsideNews.com
August 31, 2012
By: Nick Saporito

In recent weeks, news and speculation surrounding GM’s next generation full-size trucks and SUVs has been piqued. The increased speculation has stemmed from multiple rumors and spy shots that suggest the new full-size trucks and SUVs will not be as Earth shattering as originally speculated. GMI has now been told that GM has canceled almost all of the hybrid variants of the new trucks and SUVs.

GMI has confirmed with several sources—both external and internal at GM—that the hybrid program surrounding the full-size trucks and SUVs has been shutdown. It is unusual for GM to cancel programs that are so close to launch, but many insiders GMI has spoken with are not terribly surprised by the move.

The current batch of hybrid trucks and SUVs has historically not sold well. It has also been reported to GMI that the program has seen cost overruns and management does not feel like the hybrid trucks and SUVs are worth continued investment at this time.

Sources have indicated that the Escalade Hybrid may remain in the cards for the next generation. If true, GM likely feels the public relations aspect of having celebrities purchase the “green” Escalade deems the investment a worthwhile one. The 2014 Escalade is slated to be the last new SUV to launch in January 2014, meaning GM has more time to develop a hybrid version of the Escalade.

As it stands today GM offers their Two-Mode hybrid system in the Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Silverado and Tahoe and GMC Sierra and Yukon. The Two-Mode system utilizes two electric motors housed in the transmission case and a nickel-metal hydride battery pack to assist in powering the vehicle under specified conditions. In most applications the system is rated at 20 mpg city and 23 mpg highway.

The original plan called for the next generation trucks and SUVs to utilize an updated version of the current Two-Mode system. Updates to the powertrain were to include mating it to a smaller displacement V-8 engine, upgrading the battery storage to a more modern lithium ion pack and revised electric motors.

Collectively, it was also speculated that the new hybrids would technically have more than two modes, including possible plug-in functionality.

News of GM scrapping the hybrids comes on the heels of further reports from insiders that suggest a recent interior spy shot of the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and reaction to it led to a shakeup of the entire new truck program. Details of what exactly has changed are unclear, but nonetheless, development of GM’s latest trucks and SUVs continue to evolve – despite launching in just nine to 10 months from now.

See less See more
#12 ·
Re: GM Cancels Next Generation Hybrid Trucks, SUVs

Im glad to hear they are doing some last minute changes to the interior. Question remains as to what they can do with so little time left however.
I have this mental image of GM being so big of a company that it takes a long time to change anything. If the previous interior spy photos were truly 95% production intent, GM will have their work cut out for themselves if they plan to make a major change & keep the original launch schedule.

#6 ·

What they should do is put the BAS/alternator on ALL the Silvies. Making the two mode hybrid an expensive option is not the way to boost the CAFE numbers. So few are sold it has virtually no impact - but you still have all that expensive development cost and manufacturing capacity.

The BAS or 'eco' is a high 'bank for the buck' factor that more complex systems can't match.

Launches in 9 months? I thought it was going to be more like five or six months. I'm not an instrument panel/HVAC fetishist like apparently half the internet armchair experts who were aghast at the fact that it had *gasp* a center stack (?) Good job guys. Maybe you delayed the launch an extra four months.

#15 ·

What they should do is put the BAS/alternator on ALL the Silvies. Making the two mode hybrid an expensive option is not the way to boost the CAFE numbers. So few are sold it has virtually no impact - but you still have all that expensive development cost and manufacturing capacity.
The BAS or 'eco' is a high 'bank for the buck' factor that more complex systems can't match.
Launches in 9 months? I thought it was going to be more like five or six months. I'm not an instrument panel/HVAC fetishist like apparently half the internet armchair experts who were aghast at the fact that it had *gasp* a center stack (?) Good job guys. Maybe you delayed the launch an extra four months.
eAssist in the Malibu gives 5-7 mpg higher results, which exceeds what the 2 Mode was delivering, yet at a relatively low cost. Far better banG for the buck.
While I'm sure all us arm-chair engineering experts can do it better than GM, let's wait a few months to see what we actually get, rather than condemning what we haven't seen and don't know about?

#182 ·

No, what they should do is focus their hybrid efforts on small cars and leave the damn trucks alone.
I agree. I work for a Cadillac Dealer and we have sold I think 2 Hybrid Escalades. What a stupid idea in the first place. If you can afford such a vehicle why would you give a damn about the fuel economy? Every time I blink I see a Prius on the road.

#8 ·

Since we've waited this long, send the whole truck back to the drawing board. We don't need a class competitive truck, how about a class leading truck. I hope this doesn't turn into another Malibu fiasco, a half baked truck debuting with half the features. GM is in need of some serious management changes.

#10 ·

Even though sales of the Hybrid models are so miniscule anyway, I worry how this may be portrayed in the mainstream media. This could easily be taken as GM is taking a step backwards in the fuel efficiency of their large SUVs and trucks (not saying that I agree, just that's the way I see this playing out).

#31 ·

Even though sales of the Hybrid models are so miniscule anyway, I worry how this may be portrayed in the mainstream media. This could easily be taken as GM is taking a step backwards in the fuel efficiency of their large SUVs and trucks (not saying that I agree, just that's the way I see this playing out).
Agreed - the fact that almost no one bought the Hybrid version of the current model and the fact that the media keeps mocking the Volt for lower than projected sales wont stop them from leading all articles off with how the mean, vile GM killed the truck hybrid. This could blow up in GM's face....

#11 ·

So much for the conspiracy theorists who claimed GM got breaks in the new CAFE because they were the only ones with hybrid trucks.

#13 ·

News of GM scrapping the hybrids comes on the heels of further reports from insiders that suggest a recent interior spy shot of the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and reaction to it led to a shakeup of the entire new truck program. Details of what exactly has changed are unclear, but nonetheless, development of GM’s latest trucks and SUVs continue to evolve – despite launching in just nine to 10 months from now.
That is the most interesting piece of news in the entire article. If true, it leads me to believe that the "wrap around" in the interior shot going around earlier was production, not just a cover. I'm not sure what kind of changes they are going to make in nine to ten months though.

#21 ·

That is the most interesting piece of news in the entire article. If true, it leads me to believe that the "wrap around" in the interior shot going around earlier was production, not just a cover. I'm not sure what kind of changes they are going to make in nine to ten months though.
That's how rumors get started. But nevermind that it could have had anything to do with the 2013 Ram release.

#14 ·

This could be a big mistake!! With Ford's EcoBoost 3.5L V6 not doing much better then the opt 5.0L V8 in fuel economy the GM Hybrid system could and should be used much more! Offer it as a low cost opt on more then just the 6.0L V8 as packaged today. Its a great system that could BEAT the Ford EcoBoost hands down if given a proper chance with more availability on more engines then it is today!

#22 ·

This could be a big mistake!! With Ford's EcoBoost 3.5L V6 not doing much better then the opt 5.0L V8 in fuel economy the GM Hybrid system could and should be used much more! Offer it as a low cost opt on more then just the 6.0L V8 as packaged today. Its a great system that could BEAT the Ford EcoBoost hands down if given a proper chance with more availability on more engines then it is today!
most pickups sold haul only air in the bed 90% of the time and the ecoboost works great for that as far as MPG.

#18 ·

If they are going to offer an Escalade version at some point they should open it up to Tahoe buyers. That should cover both classes of 'rich and look green' and the potential economy buyer who needs a tahoe size/towing and would like a hybrid. No GMC offering.

I presume any powertain in an Escalade should bolt right into a Tahoe. Maybe make the Tahoes special order only - but give the option.

I also agree with a previous post - WTH are the 'car' hybrids from GM??????????

#20 ·

If they are going to offer an Escalade version at some point they should open it up to Tahoe buyers. That should cover both classes of 'rich and look green' and the potential economy buyer who needs a tahoe size/towing and would like a hybrid. No GMC offering.

I presume any powertain in an Escalade should bolt right into a Tahoe. Maybe make the Tahoes special order only - but give the option.

I also agree with a previous post - WTH are the 'car' hybrids from GM??????????
I thought they were built on the same assembly line so no big deal - then again, you would have save more in materials and manufacturing costs if you just canned the whole shebang.

#28 ·

Does the last minute interior rethink potentially explain why we didn't get to see these trucks at the Texas State Fair?
See? Now the rumor has suddenly become reality. All based on a suggestion.

#25 ·

I think this is another example of GM giving up on something a couple years before it becomes a big deal. Another company will start selling a two mode hybrid system in the future and it will be a big hit.

#72 ·
I think this is another example of GM giving up on something a couple years before it becomes a big deal. Another company will start selling a two mode hybrid system in the future and it will be a big hit.
How many years has GM been working on the 2-mode - and its so bad (cost/benifit), its not even worth selling?

Thus the reason, I'm sceptical about all the advancements that are all but certain by many with the VOLTEC system.

See? Now the rumor has suddenly become reality. All based on a suggestion.
But GM did back-out (the new trucks) from the Texas State Fair right?

Ignoring reality doesn't make a fact, a rumor........

Perception is reality...........

#64 · (Edited)

I wonder if some form of Voltec will ever end up in a truck?
- and to go with this - will an 'X mode' ( with a plug ) - ever end up in some kind of a Cadillac rwd / rwd - awd car ?

Would seem to be a natural in many ways ........

Meanwhile ...... often wonder about eAssist + a smaller TD........

Anyway,

Some nice new numbers for the 2013 Touareg - more than somewhat related

EPA Fuel Economy

Miles per Gallon

Diesel

23 Combined

20 City

29 Highway

#30 · (Edited)

So.....

perhaps......

other aspects of the PT programs are now more attractive - in terms of their results meaning both product results and financial results.

Or perhaps a better idea involving a battery is involved, but will necessarily come a little later.

( Maybe even more than one type )

It would not be surprising in the least, if the conventional gasser people have accomplished - with the prime mover more than was thought possible -

And there certainly is some kind of potential for diesels and CNG etc in light of all the tie ups - announced.

The point is this - it is not necessarily a 'bad' sign of 'anything' - and it could in fact, be a 'good' sign concerning a 'better' something else.

This is a long term story - of which we have so far only this very incomplete 'report'.

Come what may, it is also nice to see GM play heads up ball - and adjust on the fly as market conditions and everything else related continue to change at least somewhat unexpectedly.

Meanwhile, an eAssist definitely could be attractive - loved the onboard auxiliary power feature that the much earlier flywheel system provided and the xxx % gain in FE is just that.

#99 ·

So.....

perhaps......

And there certainly is some kind of potential for diesels and CNG etc in light of all the tie ups - announced.

The point is this - it is not necessarily a 'bad' sign of 'anything' - and it could in fact, be a 'good' sign concerning a 'better' something else. Yup!

This is a long term story - of which we have so far only this very incomplete 'report'. Yup!

Come what may, it is also nice to see GM play heads up ball - and adjust on the fly as market conditions and everything else related continue to change at least somewhat unexpectedly. Yup!

Meanwhile, an eAssist definitely could be attractive - loved the onboard auxiliary power feature that the much earlier flywheel system provided and the xxx % gain in FE is just that. ???!
Don't forget the EXTRA CAFE credits for CNG.

Unfortunately there are no special CAFE credits for fuel frugal diesel.

#32 ·

eAssist for $1,000-1500 that gives the same results as the $9,000 2 Mode is a bargain, relatively speaking. And I agree that GM should bring out the best and what works the best. When they are introduced next year we will have the actual information we need and want, but we'll get some leaks before then. Until then, speculate away ...........

#33 ·

About time they realized how useless hybrid trucks are.

#35 ·

Hybrid trucks are pointless anyway, so whatever. Whats more interesting (and sad) is news about the interior. This means the interior we saw may in fact been what they were going to go with.

What did they bench mark......a 1980 Dodge?

GM ...WTF are you doing??!

#37 ·

My first thought was to channel Andretti, and to rant and rave about how truly inept GM is. I think this could very well turn into a PR nightmare unless GM is doing what I believe they are. I believe that the next generation combustion system with E assist could very well be capable of matching the 2 mode hybrid system in many ways. Also the K2XX trucks will feature a V8 engine that should come fairly close to the highway mileage of the more expensive 2 mode hybrid. Personally I would like to see HFE K2XX variants with tall gearing, and E assist along with AFM that is very aggressive in it's operation, and envelope.

Marketing could definitely benefit from advertising this new HFE lineup as being less expensive, and less complex then the last gen hybrids yet offering quite similar fuel economy.

#38 ·

Two Mode / 'Four Mode / 'whatever' Mode is a superlative system - the only meaningful negatives are cost and complexity.

If you're going to try and cover these big kinds of vehicles - and their towing capabilities - you cannot get there from here while using a big battery effort - with anything else.

You can perhaps get an attractive lower cost and complexity - but also lesser vehicle result with some others - but the more common ones in the market place as we speak are not included.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.