GM Working on More Hardcore Active Aero Technology

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GM Working on More Hardcore Active Aero Technology

GMI Staff Writer
    Thanks

GM Working on More Hardcore Active Aero Technology

General Motors is cooking up a new way to make its fastest cars even quicker around a racetrack.

AutoGuide.com has uncovered eight separate patents filed by GM for a slew of new active aerodynamic systems, most of them dealing with the control of different subsystems. For instance, there is a patent for a 'method and apparatus for controlling vehicle tractive effort,' while other patents are for verifying downforce readings from a force sensor.

No specific vehicles are mentioned by the patents, and although a picture of a Camaro does appear in five of the filings, it appears to be a fifth-generation model, which may be simply acting as a test mule for the new active aero.

In the patent for 'vehicle, system, and method for controlling active aerodynamic elements,' the active aerodynamic system is described as using movable spoilers, wings and air dams that can vary the airflow around the vehicle. The patent also says that active aerodynamic systems can be used to aid in braking, along with redirecting air to help with cooling.
    Read more about GM Working on More Hardcore Active Aero Technology at AutoGuide.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,054 Times in 1,508 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Re: GM Working on More Hardcore Active Aero Technology

If you thought anyone dominates Sports car than Chevrolet, this is going to be epic.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    If you thought anyone dominates Sports car than Chevrolet, this is going to be epic.
    I don't mean this negatively, but you are the biggest Chevy fan boy that I have ever seen.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillz View Post
    I don't mean this negatively, but you are the biggest Chevy fan boy that I have ever seen.
    Man, When a Z06 virtually destroys everything short of a 918, or a Camaro, simply puts a Porsche Carrera S in its place, that is insane..

Wait until you see the Camaro ZL1 1LE numbers.. numbers.. people will complain about the leather, but the numbers will speak for themselves...

There is still the ZL1 which in itself is a formidable beast!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

roadkillz (04-07-2017)

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillz View Post
    At least he's in the right place, unlike some the hardcore fans of non-GM brands hanging out on GMI
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

dannyg (04-07-2017),roadkillz (04-07-2017)

Thanks

Maybe it's just me, but I don't ever see me driving a car with a wing.
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, and lots more (garage queen)
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (hooked up to 220v right now)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Man, When a Z06 virtually destroys everything short of a 918, or a Camaro, simply puts a Porsche Carrera S in its place, that is insane..

Wait until you see the Camaro ZL1 1LE numbers.. numbers.. people will complain about the leather, but the numbers will speak for themselves...

Can't really argue with that, the numbers check out on it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    The great thing is, GM currently makes performance cars that cater to many different tastes/needs.... options for everyone is a great thing

News Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,777 Times in 706 Posts

Oy, this is the real story. AG's piece is just a riff on my theory.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/articles...e-aero-things/
    Last edited by Michael Accardi; 04-07-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    GMI News Editor

Thanks
    My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Not only that, you really need to be close to a real race car driver to generate the speeds necessary create enough air to utilize aero, The ZO6 generates enough aero to get race car like downforce, but, most people complain it gets loose in turns becouse they are going too slow.

You also need bolls the size of melons to risk your life like that without the skill set.

In the hands of a true driver like Garcia of Corvette racing, the Z06 will easily lay down laps similar to a race car once the tires get to temp.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Chassis Guy (04-09-2017)

News Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,777 Times in 706 Posts

Not only that, you really need to be close to a real race car driver to generate the speeds necessary create enough air to utilize aero, The ZO6 generates enough aero to get race car like downforce, but, most people complain it gets loose in turns becouse they are going too slow.

You also need bolls the size of melons to risk your life like that without the skill set.

In the hands of a true driver like Garcia of Corvette racing, the Z06 will easily lay down laps similar to a race car once the tires get to temp.
    No it won't. Stop.
    GMI News Editor

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Accardi For This Useful Post:

CJH (04-07-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Not so fast on similar lap times to a race car, lets look at both the GT3 spec and GTe spec and compare those two specs to the C7 Z06/Z07.

GT3 spec cars can run from 500-600BHP (some exceptions allow some cars to run as high as 630BHP) while having a regular weight range of 1200-1300KG (2,645-2,866 pounds). They ran racing slicks, not road legal R tires but actual racing tires (they run wet when it is wet). Group GTe has a similar weight range however they seem to have a hard cap at about 500BHP. So lets take a 2,900 pound C7R making 500BHP that gives you 5.8 pounds per horsepower, now the road going C7 Z06 at 650BHP and 3,500 pounds does have a slightly better power to weight ratio at 5.3 pounds per horsepower. GT3 spec cars coming in at lets say the same 2,900 pounds and 600BHP comes in at 4.8 pounds per horsepower. So the pure power to weight ratio split is puts that at GT3-Z06-GTe as far as power to weight ratios go. The race cars run a race prep sequential manual gear box while the road car runs either a manual or a fast self shifting automatic transmission. Not to mention that the race cars get gearing that caters to the race track that they will be running at while the road car is set to whatever it is set to (maybe someone will put a CVT in the diff one day). While the C7 Z06 does produce a lot of down force for a road car, it doesn't make the amount of down force as either the GTe or GT3 spec race cars and doesn't have nearly the level of aerodynamic sculpting as the GTe spec car which have better aero then the GT3 spec cars.

The C7 Z06 ran a 1:33.05 at Laguna Seca (though conditions weren't the best for it per Motor Trend) while the C7R last year ran a 1:23.385 at the same track in qualifying some 10 seconds faster. The GTD cars that are limited to 450BHP ran a 1:25 there and that is with much more drag from the wing and an inferior power to weight ratio. There is a BIG difference in lap times between even the fastest road car and these GT3/GTe race cars, and GT3/GTe race cars are heavy cars in the world of GT racing as the GT1 class when it was last around was as low as 2,200 pounds and packing 600BHP and they ran around a 1:20.000 there. Also the 6.0L GT2 spec C6R ran a faster lap time then the 2016 C7R which is interesting.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roadkillz For This Useful Post:

CJH (04-07-2017),Michael Accardi (04-07-2017)

CJH
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar CJH's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Audi A6 4.2, QX80

The crazy Lambo that apparently set the new 'Ring record has active aero. Cool feature completely irrelevant outside of the ultra performance/race niche.
    Past Rides:
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

So, who else is winning GTLM these days, without intervention? Stats check, please.

They almost got screwed at Long Beach, but the 4 got through.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information