GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Trademarks Riviera Name For Vehicle Use

37K views 118 replies 66 participants last post by  fakeout 
#1 · (Edited)
Let the speculation begin as to what Buick is up to with this heritage name.
www.GMInsideNews.com
May 9, 2012
By: Nick Saporito

Leveraging historical nameplate for new products has been a highly debated issue for several automakers, but perhaps even more so with Buick. The brand's rich history of nameplates leaves a smorgasbord of monikers to bring back for new products; of which, Buick has plenty of to put the names to use with. One such historical nameplate at Buick that has already been talked about and even utilized in the recent past is Riviera. The name was leveraged for the 2007 Buick Riviera concept vehicle that debuted in China; a car that garnered much fanfare, but never was granted the green-light for production, leaving the stunning concept and the legendary name with no certain future, perhaps until now. GMI has learned that General Motors has filed for the trademark of the Riviera name, citing it for use on automobiles.

Before the speculation enters, it's worth noting that automakers fairly regularly trademark all kinds of names. In fact, Ford Motor Company has trademarked nearly every alphabetical "MK" name for their Lincoln brand, even though they will likely never utilize all of them. On the flip side, GM has been more conservative with their trademarks; with the Chevrolet Sonic trademark providing a means of validating the car's name way before GM announced it. Nonetheless, GM did file for the trademark on May 3rd.

At this point it is really anyone's guess as to which Buick product would wear the nameplate. GMI was told nearly a year ago that the brand was soliciting GM management for authorization to produce a sporty coupe, possibly based on the rear-wheel drive Alpha platform. In fact, one GM executive dropped strong hints to GMI at last year's North American International Auto Show of the potential of a return of the Riviera in rear-wheel drive form. At this time no such product is within the product plans, though most of GM's product plans beyond 2015 are still preliminary and not set in stone. If this car were to happen, it would most certainly be after the 2015 model year.

Another option is for Buick to produce the Riviera concept from 2007. That car was a coupe based on the Epsilon front-wheel drive platform. With such mainstream underpinnings, the car would likely be very feasible to produce and is one scenario that could likely end up on the market before 2015.

It's also possible the name will just be used to tease Riv fans with another Riviera concept car, like in 2007. A concept or other one-time use could also explain why the trademark was filed now versus several years from now, when a production vehicle is more likely to launch.

Regardless of what GM is up to, it appears the Riviera name is at least important enough to Buick to continue to have the trademark there in case they decide to use it. GMI will continue to work this story to fine-tune the moniker's potential use on a future Buick.

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, sooner or later Buick has to actually offer us a cool coupe. Perhaps the Riviera will be it.

#17 ·
I'll put good money on it being a Buick version of the Holden Coupe60 in VF form...
Interesting... so you suspect that they're pairing the developments and foregoing the Shanghai concept?

That would suggest this will likely be sooner than later and Zeta rather than Alpha.

Coupe60. :dro:

(incidentally, you just know you're going to get chop requests now right? :D)

#8 ·
It'll end up on another sedan, available in any color as long as it's white, gray, graphite, black, or silver. And perhaps a muted bronze color for excitement.

#16 ·
That is frickin' hilarious. Very true as well. Maybe they will offer a dark blue, so dark its practically black. Color is gone from Buick right now, its sad.

#20 ·

SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!

This one is sexy. Like the Verano-esq tail lights, and the RWD stance. Love how the profile just screams class.......I WANT THIS CAR!!!!!!!!

100 bucks says we get a Regal coupe with the same disappointing engine options. Or at best an Alpha coupe that only comes with 4-cylinders to not compete with the Camaro and Cadillac coupe variants.

#23 ·
Very good visualizations from Monaro SS, as usual. Gives us an idea of what could be done. Of the three, I like the LaCrosse based coupe in black the best. FWD is okay with me as Buick separates from the RWD cars offered by Chevrolet and Cadillac. I like the LaCrosse anyway and, should Buick choose to do the Riviera as a variant of the sedan, I could have one with a great name instead of a silly one.
Cheers,
Ed

#32 · (Edited)
Very good visualizations from Monaro SS, as usual. Gives us an idea of what could be done. Of the three, I like the LaCrosse based coupe in black the best. FWD is okay with me as Buick separates from the RWD cars offered by Chevrolet and Cadillac. I like the LaCrosse anyway and, should Buick choose to do the Riviera as a variant of the sedan, I could have one with a great name instead of a silly one.

Cheers,
Ed

Agreed, although I'm really liking the boattail look too. Nice work again, MonaroSS!

#26 ·
Perhaps GM could make the Riviera a B pillar-less coupe in true hardtop tradition.

#28 ·
I think a low-slung sporty hardtop four-door "coupe" would have more market potential than a two-door product. The new BMW 6 Gran Coupe manages to look better with four doors than with two. And a four-door Riviera wouldn't be the sacrilege that some will insist; Buick did, in fact, sell four-door Rivieras in the early 1950s (70 series Roadmasters, to be precise)...

#30 ·
If there are people from GM that lurk here, this is what I want you to know, 2 doors are not negotiable, the Riviera must be a coupe, period, none of that sedan coupe crap. 2 door coupe.

The Homerun: A Zeta/Alpha based RWD real hardtop coupe with strong styling themes of Rivieras of the past with either a next generation LS engine or some sort of turbocharged V6. 4 passenger with a real rear seat.

Pretty Darn Good: A dramatic 4 passenger coupe based on the next generation LaCrosse, FWD standard with AWD optional, possible E-assist on base models, V6 standard, turbo V6 optional.

Not Bad: A coupe version of the Regal/Insignia that would be shared with Opel and Vauxhall in Europe that looks a lot like the Opel Concept Coupe turbo 4 standard and the Euro turbo V6 optional, FWD and AWD version available(I would still be for a coupe version of the Regal withing the Regal line if the Riviera happens to be a range topping flagship, Buick could still use a lower priced coupe)

Keep it: Some sort of Verano coupe or an Astra hatch thing.

#31 ·
Who knows what GM ultimately does, but everything I've ever heard, has always described the Riviera, (or whatever it would be called), as a convertible/coupe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.