GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Trademarks GNX, Grand National Monikers

17K views 68 replies 48 participants last post by  CadillacAurora442 
#1 ·
Will Buick up its modern day performance image even further?
www.GMInsideNews.com
June 4, 2012
By: Nick Saporito

Just a few weeks ago it was discovered that General Motors has reapplied for the trademark on Buick's coveted Riviera nameplate. Now two additional historic Buick monikers have been applied for with the U.S. trademark office; GNX and Grand National. The two nameplates were utilized on Buick's performance models decades ago, but have been in rest since the late 1980's.

According to the U.S. trademark office, GM filed for the GNX and Grand National trademarks just a few days ago on May 30th. There are two listings for each name, one listing which states the usage will be on floor mats, likely for accessories for GNX and Grand National's of the past. The other record designates each nameplate for use on motor vehicles, namely automobiles. As with the Riviera trademark, these trademark filings do not suggest that performance clad Buick's are in the near future, though it does validate that the brand is not throwing out the idea of beefing it's performance image.

Buick reentered the enthusiast vehicle market about a year ago with the 2012 Regal GS. The manual transmission, turbo four cylinder has been well respected for its dynamics, though hard core enthusiasts always want more. Historically GNX and Grand National have been at the top of the performance food chain at the Buick, while GS was a more muted, sporty trim level.

As of today GMI has not heard any solid rumors of a GNX or Grand National, though that does not mean that there aren't any on the table. Nonetheless, we found it a bit interesting that GM has trademarked more historical Buick names and thought we should pass it on.

See less See more
#2 ·
We can only hope and pray.

#3 ·
Wow, that is interesting.

Could we see the new Chevy SS Performance Sedan get a two-door sibling that would revive the Grand National moniker? That could make some sense, especially if they eventually would want to shift the SS Sedan (and future Caprice production) to the US eventually as it would build economies of scale.

I wonder if GNX would be applied only to some future Grand National or if it would become some sort of "super trim level" above the GS?

#4 ·
Thanks for the update, Nick.

But GM did this simply to keep anyone else from using those designations, and for merchandising their old lines.

It would be cool, but we're not going to see a "new" GNX or Grand National built any time soon (though I am hearing rumblings of an Alpha Buick from within GM)...:yup:

#11 ·
I don't think that Buick will get a two door Zeta, I think to think that is not being realistic.

There is only one two door Zeta product in production currently and its the Camaro. There was no Holden Monaro for this generation of car, I don't see GM developing any other two door on this Zeta platform.

You really have to look at what is most likely, and what can be done the easiest. My first guest would be a AWD version of the Buick Regal GS with a more powerful engine. Maybe the 3.0L twin turbo engine that GM has been developing or the 3.6L version of that engine. A TT 3.6L engine producing around 425BHP in the Regal with AWD I think would make a fun car. OR lets say 375BHP 3.0L TT engine would also make for a fun car to drive.

I can also see GM wanting to have more then just the Camaro and ATS (only two confirmed) cars on the Alpha platform. The work is already being done on a 2 door version of the Alpha platform so really just change the styling up a bit. I think that this would also make a ton of sense and be true to the car from the 1980s. A 425BHP 3.6L TT (or expand it out to 3.8L and produce something like 450BHP) in a RWD 2 door coupe.

#19 ·
I'm surprised GM didn't already have the names trademarked. So if I understand correctly any car company could have used the name, say, last year? Meaning we could have had a Hyundai Grand National or a Kia GNX? Or is it they had a trademark on the name and it is about to expire and GM is just reapplying for another 20 year trademark?

#21 ·
I'm not up on US law but this from wiki gives a general outline:

Maintaining rights

Trademarks rights must be maintained through actual lawful use of the trademark. These rights will cease if a mark is not actively used for a period of time, normally 5 years in most jurisdictions. In the case of a trademark registration, failure to actively use the mark in the lawful course of trade, or to enforce the registration in the event of infringement, may also expose the registration itself to become liable for an application for the removal from the register after a certain period of time on the grounds of "non-use". It is not necessary for a trademark owner to take enforcement action against all infringement if it can be shown that the owner perceived the infringement to be minor and inconsequential. This is designed to prevent owners from continually being tied up in litigation for fear of cancellation. An owner can at any time commence action for infringement against a third party as long as it had not previously notified the third party of its discontent following third party use and then failed to take action within a reasonable period of time (called acquiescence). The owner can always reserve the right to take legal action until a court decides that the third party had gained notoriety which the owner 'must' have been aware of. It will be for the third party to prove their use of the mark is substantial as it is the onus of a company using a mark to check they are not infringing previously registered rights. In the US, owing to the overwhelming number of unregistered rights, trademark applicants are advised to perform searches not just of the trademark register but of local business directories and relevant trade press. Specialized search companies perform such tasks prior to application.

All jurisdictions with a mature trademark registration system provide a mechanism for removal in the event of such non use, which is usually a period of either three or five years. The intention to use a trademark can be proven by a wide range of acts as shown in the "Wooly Bull" and "Ashton v Harlee" cases.

In the U.S., failure to use a trademark for this period of time, aside from the corresponding impact on product quality, will result in abandonment of the mark, whereby any party may use the mark. An abandoned mark is not irrevocably in the public domain, but may instead be re-registered by any party which has re-established exclusive and active use, and must be associated or linked with the original mark owner. If a court rules that a trademark has become "generic" through common use (such that the mark no longer performs the essential trademark function and the average consumer no longer considers that exclusive rights attach to it), the corresponding registration may also be ruled invalid.

For examples, see trademark distinctiveness.

Unlike other forms of intellectual property (e.g., patents and copyrights) a registered trademark can, theoretically, last forever. So long as a trademark's use is continuous a trademark holder may keep the mark registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office by filing Section 8 Affidavit(s) of Continuous Use as well as Section 9 Applications for renewal, as required.

Specifically, once registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office the owner of a trademark is required to file a Section 8 Affidavit of Continuous Use to maintain the registration between the 5th and 6th year anniversaries of the registration of the mark or during the 6-month grace period following the 6th-year anniversary of the registration.[12] Note, if the Section 8 Affidavit is filed during the 6-month grace period additional fees to file the Affidavit with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office will apply.[13]

In addition to requirement above, U.S. trademark registrations are also required to be renewed on or about every 10-year anniversary of the registration of the trademark. The procedure for 10-year renewals is somewhat different from that for the 5th-6th year renewal. In brief, registrants are required to file both a Section 8 Affidavit of Continuous Use as well as a Section 9 Application for Renewal every ten years to maintain their registration.[14]

;)

#22 ·
On one hand, a current Regal GNX could be awesome. But I almost think that the dealer network has given up on the car, and it's been ignored to such an extent, that the effects of its marketing would be lost on the current generation of the model.

However.... the next Regal - the more Americanized, probably more brash version - would be served well to have a GNX available at launch. It could be used in the initial marketing campaign for the vehicle. I think that THAT'S more likely.

#36 · (Edited)
eXperiment, if my memory serves me right.

Btw, the '87 with the ladder frame that made the car rise before a hard launch is easily my favorite car of all time. Many have come close but that all black Buick took my breathe away when I first saw one.

#37 ·
It would, but it also puts the possibility of a separate car from the Regal coming to Buick and not just another trim level.

#47 ·
No. It would not do the original GNX any justice. The GNX was not an AWD high-tech car, it was a straight line RWD rocket; a straight line rocket that feared no other car, Corvettes and Italian exotics included. This new Regal you propose would be looking at the tail lights of a Mustang, Camaro or anything wearing an SRT badge, let alone a base Corvette.

You want a GNX that will at least attempt be like the original? Start with Alpha and an LS9 and work from there.

#34 ·
Hmm, this would indicate that Buick is getting 2 coupes... Riviera and Grand National. Although what platforms, would be the biggest question.

Would the next gen Regal spawn a coupe version? Called GN? (with the GNX being the top performance trim level)

Or would Buick get an Alpha coupe as the GN?

With Riviera most likely sitting on Super-Epsilion with LaCrosse in the next generation, this gives Buick a FWD/AWD coupe. And thus leaves the door open for a RWD entry.

What if the VF Commodore spawns a Monaro along-side it? Then you could have Commodore/Monaro equate to SS/Grand National.

#41 ·
Hmm, this would indicate that Buick is getting 2 coupes... Riviera and Grand National. Although what platforms, would be the biggest question.
Not necessarily. The names "Grand National" and "GNX" could be just designations for other models. There may be a "Riviera" and a "Riviera GNX" for example.

#38 ·
Buick doesn't need any performance models at all.
A couple, but no more than 3 RWD/R-AWD vehicles.
The rest should be FWD/F-AWD.
I am fine w/GM trademarking the names so no one else uses them, but they shouldn't use them either.

!!!

#39 ·
If they apply the GNX moniker to a new production Buick, it will be a sad, sad day indeed. Especially if it's not RWD/Turbo V6 powered at the absolute least.

Now, a Grand National? Bring it on! I'd add it to the list of cars I would consider alongside the Regal GS, ATS, and Chevy SS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.