GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Sourcing Suppliers For Flagship Cadillac

21K views 117 replies 53 participants last post by  mgescuro 
#1 ·
Perhaps Cadillac is finally serious about a real flagship sedan?
www.GMInsideNews.com
May 21, 2012
By: Nick Saporito

GMI's rendering of a Cadillac flagship sedan as part of our Cadillac Revitalization In Action series.

As Cadillac's top-range sedan, the XTS, nears launch, the focus has already moved on to the next big thing for GM's luxury brand. Multiple reports from both GMI and other mainstream outlets have shed light on the supposed Omega rear-wheel drive platform that is currently being worked on by General Motors to underpin a proper flagship Cadillac sedan. Until recently, details of the program have been sketchy with some doubt to how serious GM is about bringing the car and new chassis to fruition. Perhaps this time Cadillac is really serious about having a mega-sedan, because GMI has been told that GM is now sourcing suppliers for the Omega program.

According to multiple sources, the company has been in the beginning processes of establishing a parts supply chain for Omega; specifically the flagship Cadillac sedan. News of supplier sourcing coincides with a GMI report last July that the car had been giving tentative approval for production and further exploration.

It is important to note that sourcing parts for the program does not mean it is a 100-percent go at this point. With the Omega program in particular, the sourcing is in extremely early stages and could stop fairly easily. As everyone is familiar with, GM can and sometimes does change their minds about new vehicle programs, especially when an all-new chassis is being developed concurrently.

Assuming the Omega program continues on as planned today, don't expect to see any big new Cadillac sedans until 2015 at the earliest. Why the wait? Developing a new chassis and new vehicle at the same time often takes about four years to complete. GMI also hears that at least one iteration of Omega may include an exclusive V-8 engine that also would need to be developed.

In the meantime, all one can do is hope Cadillac and GM stay more committed to Omega than they have to other attempts at a flagship Caddy.

See less See more
#4 ·
I honestly believe that they are serious about stepping into this market ... the problem is, how serious are buyers in believing that Cadillac will build a vehicle that they have not really come close to having since the 1940's or 50's?

#5 ·
Did the DT7 project make it this far?

#19 ·
It does perplex me why GM doesn't include MRC or a stick with AWD. Do they think people who like the planted feel of AWD or live where it snows are not driving enthusiasts so they don't care about MRC and a manual transmission? All I can think of it is just another ploy by the bean counters to keep costs down.

I know with the 3.6 and no manual transmission it is due to GM seeing the 3.6 model being the luxury trim and not performance which I find is complete BS.

#22 · (Edited)
Who cares GM has been floating these dreams since the Cadillac 16 years ago. The XTS was sold as a flag ship then it was retracted after more than a year of talks of it replacing the two top models STS and DTS. Now years later they are still thinking....what ever. T

#26 ·
We'll probably start hearing more about it when it gets to the suppliers. Also, the longer it goes where they're sourcing suppliers without word that it's been cancelled, the better chances (at least it would seem) of the vehicle actually making production.

Any word on which suppliers?

#28 · (Edited)
Secretly, I think car enthusiasts around the world secretly wants Cadillac to succeed. I think every car guy or pseudo-car guys knows about Cadillac's rich history and understand what that wreath and crest means. Sure, the 80's and 90's diluted the meaning of Cadillac, but the heritage is so rich that Cadillac still managed to surf along .......just based on enormous brand equity.

I want Cadillac to REALLY over do it. I mean....like, kill these ants with a sledge hammer, but even if the Cadillac misses it's target and at least out do the Jaguar XJ in styling, performance and craftmanship (have you sat inside the new XJ? WOW!)......it wins big.

#31 · (Edited)
I hope GM goes through with this.

And being the enormous Buick apologist I am, they can help the Omega's business case/lower the financial risk of investment, by building a flagship Buick from this platform that will take care of volume. Something to compete with the Genesis/Equus.

With the Buick justifying the platform's expenses through volume, Cadillac will then be relieved of the pressure to cheapen their offering in order to get a better ROI. They can go full steam ahead on a high-end flagship series that isn't so thoroughly pressured on volume because the Buick can take care of that.

Cadillac and Omega will NEED a business model like that. Because this sector of the market is so firmly established, it's going to take Cadillac a good while to break through to customers who've never considered putting a Cadillac on their short list. Volumes will be lower for the Cadillac compared to the competition at first, as Cadillac pays its dues reestablishing itself in that sector of the market. Especially since Cadillac doesn't have much of a sales presence outside NA and China. Places where BMW, Audi, M-B, and Jag do the lion's share of their volume.

Anyone who says "Cadillac needs exclusive platforms" to slap down the idea of a Buick derivative isn't looking at the big picture. BMW, M-B, Audi, and Jaguar can justify their investments in this segment because, in Europe and the rest of the world, they sell lesser versions of the 7, S, A8, and XJ. Higher-volume versions with way less kit than are offered in the US and engines as small as 2.1L I4s.

Cadillac can't do that in the US and maintain its upward luxury-brand push, and they can't do it overseas because they're not established overseas. So they have to find the volume somewhere. And Buick can take care of that.

GM can play to its strengths in this case and minimize the impact of its weaknesses until it sorts them out.

A lower-line, higher-volume Buick companion model (Say, $45k-65k) will justify the platform's existence in the time it takes Cadillac to re-establish itself. It'll also give Buick more credibility as an entry lux brand. Buick needs something above the LaCrosse, especially with the XTS and '14 Impala around the corner, to cement their transformation.

This is how GM can get Buick to work for them...providing high-margin versions of low-margin high-volume platforms to improve their ROI (see: Encore, Verano, Regal). All the while providing high (for the market) volume versions of the luxury platforms Cadillac needs to launch from.

Or GM can do it the hard way, compromise a Cadillac-only model so it'll hit lower-volume profit target, find limited success to much greater financial cost, and throw in the towel after their first attempt.

#47 ·
You make a good point, but the last thing this particular car will need is any relationship with a lesser brand. GM really needs to bite the bullet and go all out. Then if they need to "platform share" to help with the ROI then so be it. Hopefully not until the second gen or when its due for a MCE.

#35 ·
Is it just me, or is GM product planning/development way too slow? When Hyundai decided to build the Genesis, it was on the market almost before I even knew it was coming. With GM, they've basically been working on a flagship of one kind or another since like 2008, and it still probably won't be here this side of 2016.

Gotta streamline it, boys.

#41 ·
Negatrons out in full force today. GM can do no right, every other car company can do no wrong. Got it. Keep talking amongst yourselves.

#44 ·
I know conventional wisdom would have the Omega essentially match (and mimic) the German competition. But, I'm not sure that an Art and Science S-class is the right approach. Flagships are the ultimate expresion of the brand,and Cadillac is a brash, aggresive brand. I hope they can come up with something exciting and unique (beyond styling). BMW is creating a hybrid supercar; all of the next S-class models will have some level of hybridization. This car should be a technical marvel -- the best GM can make. I expect to be impressed and surprised by the final spec - anything less and it'll just be another big car with a nice interior. And others already do that and do it very well.

#49 ·
The American market is unique in one instance, I feel that the European market would be more open to a flagship Cadillac then the American market. Volkswagen Phaeton failed in the US market however its still sold in Europe. In Japan Toyota until they launched Lexus in Japan sold its luxury cars with Toyota badges. I think that no other market is as obsessed with brand image as the American auto market.

#50 ·
Caddy Flagship obviously needs to be more than Equus but the question needs to be posed... how did Hyundai justify the investment in such a limited offering at the price point they are asking? Say what you want but they went from zero to 60 in the Near Luxury and Luxury segment virtually overnight....and are gaining cred every day with almost every move they make. What do they know that the domestics don't?

#52 ·
I think it would be a mistake making a Buick version of the Flagship. To help with cost they should build a coupe and a foor-door sedan ala CLS. This will allow the XTS to be given to Buick.

#62 · (Edited)
I think it would be a mistake making a Buick version of the Flagship. To help with cost they should build a coupe and a foor-door sedan ala CLS.
I agree. I don't see why adding a Buick would help. I think it might only limit the Cadillac. Exclusivity plays a role in that market. And I also think that such a car is "too much" for Buick. Personally, I think GM will likely loose money on the car for a while. I also think it's planned to sell it globally (China included) but to center production in the US.

I think GM will likely build it at the Lansing Grand River plant along with the Alpha cars, on a special side-line employing a relatively few, but well chosen individuals.

This will allow the XTS to be given to Buick.
I've been reading this for years now, but I have to point out that Buick already has a version of the XTS. It's called the LaCrosse.

#54 ·
Cadillac is going to have a bunch of new models coming into play at the same time. Escalade is going to be new, CTS line, etc. I just hope the next gen Escalade is basically the same as the current one but better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.