GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Midsizers Going All Four

50K views 315 replies 145 participants last post by  hotrod747 
#1 · (Edited)
GM Midsizers Going All Four
It comes as no surprise...the next Malibu won't have a V6.
www.gminsidenews.com
August 30, 2010
By: Nick Saporito

A reoccurring theme that has come out of General Motors since 2008 has been that they fully intend to physically downsize their product lineup. With new Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFÉ) legislation coming online in 2012 through 2016 and an overall shift to more fuel efficient vehicles, GM has made some critical decisions regarding their future midsize sedans.

According to sources working on the next-generation GM midsize sedans, GM has elected to go with an all four-cylinder engine lineup for each midsize sedan going forward. The beginnings of this have already been witnessed with the recently launched 2011 Buick Regal, which has two four-cylinder engines to pick from. The upcoming Regal GS performance model will also pilot a four-cylinder mill.

Our sources tell us that the real fruit of this movement will be noticed most in the next-generation Chevrolet Malibu, which is slated to launch in late 2011. The new Malibu will sport only four-cylinder engines in North America. It is unclear which four-cylinder mills GM will place in the Malibu, but the direct injected 2.4-liter from the Equinox is a likely contender. GM is currently working on several new four-cylinder engines—both turbo and naturally aspirated—including a non-turbo 2.5-liter.

Products on the larger side of GM’s midsize sedan lineup will still have optional V6 power, including the next Chevrolet Impala.

See less See more
#11 ·
I agree. Even though I4s of today are much more powerful than V6s of 20 years ago, there are a lot of people that just don't trust them and want a V6.

#4 ·
I applaud this move. Hyundai is currently doing this and have shed weight off the chassis because of it. Ford is probably following suit with the next-gen Fusion.

Besides, the low-end torque of turbo fours is going to become very addicting to drivers in the next several years.

#76 ·
You make a good point: if you design the cars for 4's only, you can take some of the weight out that would need to be there to accomodate a larger, torquier 6. It's a snowball effect. Weight is as much a part of the game as displacement.

And besides: the latest 4's are so good - smooth, quiet and wicked powerful - it's a rare buyer who's going to miss 'em.

#12 ·
I don't really like this but its a good move on GM to start doing this early and not wait for everyone else to and then do it. Hyundai was first and now GM with the Malibu. Hopefully they have some really good 4 bangers they are working out to put the Sonata to shame and from any other competition.

On a side note, my buddy just bought a 2006 Passat with the 2.0L turbo and hes tells me gets about a 700km from a tank.

#13 ·
As with anything, it's not just about the engine, it's about the car in general. If the car is world-class, people won't notice nor care about the engine. If it's not, that's just another mark against the vehicle when it's reviewed by the automotive press.

Also, good marketing and building nameplate recognition is a given (I'd hope the people who are paid to do this for a living already realize this?).

#14 ·
This is exactly the thinking that led to my buying a CTS-V last year. All the mainline automakers are going to be doing this and I wanted a chance to own a "muscle car" (if you can call a 4300 pound four-door sedan that :) ) before the era ended forever.

I don't like it either, but I understand with the new fuel economy requirements. Just give us lots of low-end torque (e.g. turbo) and I think the average driver will be OK.

#15 ·
Sigh ...Im sick and tired of being forced into doing or buying certain things ... This is no longer a free country when the government forces us to do things they want us to ...
We are not talking about engines from the 1970's here ... todays engines are cleaner and more efficient than ever ... when will this "so called progress" end? ...eventualy it will be deemed that the 4 cylinder is too wastefull and we will all be slugging around it 2 bangers ... I hear Briggs and Stratton will be out sourcing thier 2 stroke engines to the next Corvette.:rolleyes:

#17 · (Edited)
Oh for Christ sakes...

The 2.4L in the Hyundai Sonata gets 200 horsepower. That's just as much as the 3800 V6 from 10 years ago in the Monte Carlo SS.

Today's Camaro and Mustang V6's both get over 300 horsepower, either comparable or more horsepower than their V8 siblings of 10 years ago. The current V8's of today are dangerously fast for those who don't know what they're doing behind the wheel.

The 2.0L in the Sonata is 274 horsepower. 274 HORSEPOWER and gobs of torque at the low-end...in a chassis that is LIGHTER than its previous generation! That's more than a Mustang GT of 10 years ago! What more do you need?

#18 ·
It dosent bother me that much. The 2.0L Turbo DI motor in the Cobalt had 260HP and 260 FT/LBS of tourque and a fairly flat tourque curve. That is more peak power than the current Malibu 3.6L engine has. Hyundai has its new 2.0L turbo DI 4-cylinder coiming out with like 274HP and like 270 FT/LBS of tourque and 34 MPG. So as long as GM can keep the tourque band smooth and flat than great move.

#19 ·
Hm, interested in see what this 2.5 four-banger has got... throw in DI and maybe we see a engine with 200 or more HP? I'm interested in seeing what these new Turbo Fours' are as well...

I'm not a huge fan of the move, But I guess I can understand it... I know alot of people that still like the V6, so hopefully GM will give us a proper turbo 4 with anywhere from 250-275 HP...

#20 ·
Not a huge shock with what is coming down the road with CAFE and expected rises in fuel costs.

#21 ·
I certainly see the advantages and disadvantages with this strategy. While I am all for automakers offering options to consumers, there is a huge tradeoff that comes with even offering th V6's -- weight. If GM has strengthen the structure to handle the weight and power of a V6, then even the 4 cyl offering suffer with having to drag the extra structural weight around.

That being said, I think I would have done this only with Chevy, while beefing up Buick's structures to offer a V6 would be appropriate for an upmarket brand. The loss of an mpg or two due to the extra weight would be a fair trade off for that segment.

But, I understand the thought process and motivations. This is not an unreasonable decision. GM probably doesn't want to have the extra cost of two versions of its FWD mid-size platform.

Looking forward to Chevys and Buicks that get class leading fuel economy.

#23 ·
I sometimes contemplate selling my '02 T/A Firehawk. But when I read news like this (as well as opening it up on a nice summer day), it reaffirms my commitment to keep the car. I can't imagine what the cost of a V8 car will be in a few years. Can we assume 4 cyclinders will eventually be putting out V8 power like today's V6s are currently doing? I don't know.

#24 ·
Wait, is the Malibu going to be LWB Epsilon-II like the LaCrosse or SWB Epsilon-II like the Regal? My understanding was the former, so that makes this move a little strange unless perhaps they're worried about too much overlap? (Though I guess they do have a 4 in the LaCrosse now)

But really I have to say, how many people are buying Malibus for high horsepower anyway? Not like we're talking Camaro or something here...

I also hope this doesn't apply to the ATS or CTS.

#26 ·
Is this market driven? If so, who is providing the data? By my observations, unscientific to be sure, the vast majority of Malibus I see on the streets of the Chicago metro area are 4 cylinder powered. Still, if there is enough of a demand that it makes it cost effective to make one available, a 6 cylinder engine should be on the option list. If GM is providing the data that indicates that the demand vs. cost doesn't add up, I'm suspicious. I have little faith in their leadership due to their past failures and their current associations with the Fed.

#27 ·
This will only work if GM follows Hyundai's lead and makes high powered DI/Turbo I4's available for less than $30,000.

#29 ·
My only concern is how this will match other car manufacturers. If the Malibu is only available as a 4 banger and vehicles like the Camry and Accord are available with a V6, it is relatively lame.

Does anyone have real data on what the take rate for the V6 is on the current Malibu?

Considering Chevy is moving to the "barnyard of sedans" approach with the Spark, Aveo, Cruze, Malibu and Impala, it would be nice if it wasn't all a fleet of fwd 4 cylinder 4dr cars.

#39 · (Edited)
Good, now make your 4 cyl. sedans lighter and offer competitive powertrains to match Hyundai (I cannot believe who's leading and making the trends now). Decades of strong sales for all top three sedans (Camry/Accord/Altima) were a result of great majority of 4 cyl. trims as reliable, adequate and practical transportation. Integrity does not pay the bills. (Bo Diddley, if I am not mistaken)

V6 or V8 engines? Sure, pay to play if you want performance beyond 200 HP. This is our brave new world, from point A to point B for 90% of people is top priority.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.