GM Inside News Forum banner

Is the EPA Trying to Ban You From Building Race Cars?

6K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  CaptainDan 
#1 ·

This time the EPA has gone too far.

Under their latest proposed rule, the Environmental Protection Agency wants to stop conversions of once road legal cars into competition only race cars.

More on the Homepage

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks like the fun police is at it again.

Reactions: 88Fiero
#6 ·
I've read analysis that seems to indicate this rule is for manufacturers only. Individuals who buy the cars would not be subject to these rules.

#8 ·
Not true....pretty sure they want to ban aftermarket "off-road or race only" variety parts and mods that MANY MANY MANY people install on very much road only vehicles. Particularly in the diesel world where it's all done to increase towing performance capabilities....they've already went after them and made it very hard for them to sell products to anyone....even if it's legit non-road vehicles.

All of this stuff should be mandated at the local and regional levels where you have real tangible issues with emissions. If you live in LA or other areas with smog issues you should have to have extra charge locally mandated options for emissions installed at the dealer if manufactures desire to not build them into the product. If you and your family live miles from any other living sole....or there only hundreds within thousands of square miles as is the case where I grew up...you shouldn't have buy all these devices that are now mandated on your vehicle, but improve nothing for you.

#7 ·
I read about this last night. Disgusting. Race cars make up such a miniscule percentage of the automotive world, it's pathetic to go after them. I'd seriously bet that one year of automotive racing (sanctioned or street), doesn't approach 1 day of semi traffic in the US, or even 12 hours of aircraft pollution. Just another way the government is looking to control the population.

We'll see once they release details, but I don't trust the government to draw the lines. Does bolting on a pulley onto your new Hellcat constitute conversion to "race car"? What about a cam swap, like more than half my cars have? Does this suddenly overreach to non-smog cars as well? What about my 58 Edsel that's never had smog, is it now a "race car" because it has a cam, exhaust, and Edelbrock intake? And then there is my real race car, my 11 second 75 Astre, is it now illegal? It is a full race car, but it hasn't been to the track in 2 years. I've put 70 passes on it in 10 YEARS! The same for many of us in the racing world, the impact we leave is near nothing.

#17 ·
People deserve the government that they vote for.

I know that our resident statist Butz will disagree, but the government seeks to regulate every little bit of our lives so that we live in the way that IT sees fit. Creeping regulation like this is just another example.

I mean, race cars, really? Sure...Let's put a whole group of industries out of business, because green. This is the same thing as the war on coal, just on a much smaller scale. Question is, will they grandfather in the current vehicles, or will they break the law again by making this ex-post facto?

And it's too late to vote anybody out because this is not a Democratic or Republican thing, but rather, it's government for it's own sake. This is why voting for your new slavemasters every few years is a futile act, and is why I will never be voting again.

Yes, I went political here because that's the only way this can be put into context.

#18 ·
EPA should go after those who polute way much more then few race cars do once in a while such as semi trucks,
why not make those hybrid electric or burn natural gas or LPG
Also jets
.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_aviation

As much as I like flying Id prefer to take maglev or bullet train cross country..
Leave the jet airliners for intercontinental travel and build fast railways,,
why can Japan and China do this and we cant?

https://youtu.be/PTo-krTSZBA

Btw Japanese bullet trains have forty years history of runing accident free..
https://youtu.be/geAEAEC6dL8

And the worst poluters our oil industry,try living downwind from these stinkers
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...y-problem-in-southeast-saskatchewan-1.3042939

http://www.watershedsentinel.ca/content/sour-gas-health-effects-hydrogen-sulfide

#23 ·
Forget Watergate, Nixon's real sin was the creation of the EPA.

#27 ·
Yeah, well, they can pretty much try to regulate whatever they want, but it really won't have a single effect on the racing world. Just look at how certain glass objects are sold to be used for burning plant leaves...they come with a label that states they are decorative only, or to be used for tobacco only. So it's not illegal to sell them. Once they are in a customer's hand, the dealer isn't liable for what "product" is actually used with the item. So basically no racing parts shops will be affected. They'll just have to add a tiny label to all parts that says "not for use on a race car" to cover themselves legally. If people install that part and race the car, well it's not the vendor's fault. And the law only says the parts can't be sold, not that they can't be used in certain ways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.