GM Inside News Forum banner

Detroit: 2017 GMC Acadia

44K views 304 replies 136 participants last post by  Envoy4Life 
#1 ·
GMC Introduces All-New 2017 Acadia
General Motors

January 12, 2016

• 700-lb. lighter, more efficient crossover aimed at heart of midsize segment
  • Expanded range of available active safety features, including Front Pedestrian Braking and Surround Vision Camera
  • New powertrains include a 2.5L I-4, offering a GM-est. 28 mpg hwy, and an available est. 310-hp 3.6L V-6
  • Acadia Denali with new, exclusive Continuously Variable Ride Control
  • New Acadia All Terrain with an advanced AWD system with Active Twin Clutch
  • On sale this spring

DETROIT – GMC today introduced the all-new 2017 Acadia – a reimagined crossover aimed at the heart of the midsize segment, designed to offer great versatility and refinement, with more advanced safety technologies.

The new Acadia offers more-efficient powertrains, while continuing to offer three rows of seating on most models. The premium Acadia Denali returns, along with a new All Terrain model offering enhanced off-road capability.

“GMC is a strong, growing premium brand and the Acadia is a cornerstone of our success story,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC Sales and Marketing. “The all-new Acadia leverages GMC’s proven SUV experience to take on and shake up one of the largest vehicle segments, with a strong blend of design, technology and capability.”

The new Acadia goes on sale this spring, almost a decade after its original introduction, and coming off of its strongest sales year ever in 2015 with 96,393 deliveries.

“Typically, a vehicle’s sales can be illustrated on a bell curve during its lifecycle, but the Acadia’s success has defied convention with impressive sustainability,” said Aldred. “It’s a shining example of GMC’s momentum and we’re confident it will grow with the new Acadia.”

New size, bigger advantages

The strategic re-scoping of the 2017 Acadia offers customers a midsize crossover positioned between the compact Terrain and full-size Yukon. Depending on the model, it is available with five-, six- or seven-passenger seating, while offering greater maneuverability than the first-generation model.

“The new Acadia captures a greater feeling of refinement, in everything from the responsive feeling behind the wheel to the way passengers interact with its intuitive features,” said Rick Spina, executive chief engineer for compact and crossover SUVs at General Motors. “It’s a vehicle that offers the functionality Acadia is known for, while delivering big advantages and balance to customers’ everyday lives.”

The new Acadia is 700 pounds lighter than the current model, which pays dividends at the gas pump. A new, 2.5L engine is standard, offering an estimated 28 mpg on the highway for FWD models (EPA estimate not yet available; estimate is based on GM testing). City fuel economy offered is GM-estimated at 22 mpg (FWD) and is bolstered by GMC’s first application of Stop/Start technology, which enhances efficiency in stop-and-go driving.

A new, available 3.6L V-6 engine is more powerful and efficient than the current model, while offering 4,000 pounds estimated trailering capability (with the available towing package). It is GM-estimated at 310 horsepower (231 kW) and 25 mpg highway (FWD models – EPA estimate not available).

Both of the Acadia’s new engines feature direct injection and variable valve timing, and both are mated to six-speed automatic transmissions and an electronically controlled drive mode selector.

Legacy of functionality and spaciousness

The 2017 Acadia builds on a legacy of intuitive functionality, with new features such as a split-folding second-row seat that improves on the original Smart Slide feature of the current model. It offers greater flexibility, including the capability of the curbside seat sliding and tilting forward, even with a forward-facing child seat in place, while the driver-side section tips and slides forward for easier access to the third row.

The 50/50-split third-row seat folds flat for a completely flat load floor behind the second row and when the second row is also folded, there’s 79 cubic feet (2,237 liters) of cargo room. Levers at the rear of the vehicle make it easier to fold the second- and third-row seats.

Additional solutions range from simple to technologically advanced. The rear of the center console, for example, features a unique pull-out storage drawer. It is accessible to rear-seat passengers and allows items such as electronic devices and small toys to be stored out of sight, for greater security and reduced clutter.

There’s also a new, standard rear seat alert that can remind the driver when an item may have been left in the second- and third-row seats. Additionally, all three rows offer USB charge ports for compatible electronic devices.

Design evolution

The new Acadia offers a greater emphasis on refinement, while remaining instantly recognizable with an evolution of the vehicle’s signature, professional grade design cues such as a chrome-trimmed grille, squared off and flared wheel arches and wraparound rear side windows with dark D-pillars.

“It’s a confident design influenced by extensive customer input,” said Helen Emsley, executive director, Global GMC Design and User Experience. “The original Acadia was very truck-inspired, but the new model has a decidedly SUV influence conveyed in sculptural details, softened corners and a sleeker windshield angle.”

New dimensional grilles and wraparound headlamps – HID lamps on Denali and halogen projectors on other models – reinforce the confident, refined appearance, while standard LED signature lighting on all models reflect GMC’s premium attributes. Complementing C-shape rear lighting graphics add a cohesive detail to the design.

Premium cues distinguish the Acadia Denali. Like all Denali models, it features a dimensional chrome grille, along with integrated chrome side trim, chrome-accented door handles, a chrome lower-rear fascia and specific six-spoke wheels.

Inside, all Acadia trim levels feature unique interior color and trim combinations and incorporate authentic aluminum trim.

Latest safety and connectivity technologies

As a contemporary crossover designed for families on the go, the 2017 Acadia offers the latest active safety features to protect them, as well as the latest technologies to keep them connected.

The active safety features are designed to help make drivers more aware of their surroundings and potential crash situations. They are available depending on the model and include:

• New Front Pedestrian Braking
  • New Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking (standard on SLT-2 and Denali)
  • New Forward Automatic Braking (available on Denali)
  • New Following Distance Indicator
  • New IntelliBeam automatic headlamp high-beam control
  • New Surround Vision camera system
  • New Safety Alert Seat
  • Forward Collision Alert
  • Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
  • Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
  • Front and Rear Parking Assist.

An available Tow Vision Trailering system helps make hitching easier by employing a rear-vision camera, with dynamic guidelines, to help line up the Acadia’s hitch with the trailer, as well as offering views of the trailer while driving.

And when it comes to connectivity, the Acadia is plugged in with available phone integration technology through GMC’s available IntelliLink system. It offers support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, making it easy to connect to some of the features smartphone users rely on most. (Vehicle user interfaces are products of Apple and Google and require a compatible smartphone and adherence to data plan rates, terms and privacy statements.)

Additionally, an available OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three-gigabyte data trial.

New foundation and driving dynamics

Built on a new, lighter body structure, the 2017 Acadia’s driving dynamics are more responsive, while its shorter length and narrower width enable greater maneuverability, for easier turning in parking decks and easier parking in home garages.

The body structure incorporates press-hardened, high-strength steels, which allowed thinner components in some areas offering comparable or better crash performance than conventional materials. They also help reduce the base curb weight by 700 pounds (318 kg), compared to the current model.

New splayed front frame rails also contribute to crashworthiness. They flare outward to provide effective folding and crushing performance during small overlap frontal crash situations.

The new Acadia retains a front-drive layout with available all-wheel drive. All models feature a new drive mode selector, which allows the driver to alter chassis and powertrain attributes to suit a variety of driving conditions. Front-drive models offer Normal (2x4), Snow, Sport and Trailer/Tow modes, while AWD models offer 2x4 (AWD disconnect), 4x4, Sport, Off Road and Trailer/Tow modes.

The AWD disconnect mode effectively disconnects the rear axle from the drive system to save fuel. On-demand AWD capability can be reapplied on the go by switching the drive mode selector to 4x4 mode.

Additional chassis and driving dynamics features include:

• MacPherson strut front suspension
  • Five-link rear suspension
  • Rack-mounted electric power steering system
  • Four-wheel disc brakes with Duralife rotors
  • Electronic park brake
  • Available electronically controlled continuous damping system.

All Terrain

The new All Terrain model matches distinctive design elements with enhanced off-road-driving ability.

At the heart of the Acadia All Terrain’s capability is an advanced AWD system with Active Twin Clutch, which optimizes traction for every condition it encounters. And while it is engineered for optimal performance in wet, snowy and icy conditions, it also provides enhanced stability in dry conditions.

It also has a specific All Terrain mode in place of the Off Road mode on the drive mode selector, which works with the model’s exclusive AWD system to offer enhanced hill-climb capability.

All Terrain models are distinguished from the rest of the Acadia lineup with a body-color grille surround, black chrome trim and unique wheels. Inside is exclusive five-passenger seating, dynamic All Terrain interior accents and covered storage bins in the rear cargo floor in place of a third-row seat.

Manufacturing

The 2017 GMC Acadia will be produced at General Motors’ Spring Hill (Tenn.) assembly facility, with globally sourced parts.

Photography

See less See more
#15 ·
A few observations:

1. That face made me do a double-take. It's not bad, but it's definitely new ground for GMC. They've never been this sleek.

2. The profile reminds me a lot of the global Trailblazer.

Overall, it looks like a solid attempt!
Me too!

Honestly, wow. Took me off guard. Love that wood, put it in a Cadillac.

Would put a big ??? on the C pillar area, but other than that... really solid. Interior looks really nice and completely different than the XT5.

Would also raise some questions over the non-turbo engines, too. Last time I checked, it's 2016 and not 2006. Seems a little out of date.

#4 ·
It's definitely a looker...and so different now having lost 700 pounds, length and width inches, and even now an optional 3rd row.

Interesting some articles say the next Traverse will have both short (like this) and long wheelbase versions.

The current Lambda size gives them a huge advantage for room and capacity, but they do feel BIG.

This is more like a Grand Cherokee with more length and space, but not van grade. Modern take on the Envoy sounds right.

Hopefully they don't make many with the 2.5L, that sounds like a strange fit.

Reactions: XP300
#235 ·
Having sold a lot of Envoys in the past I think this size will appeal to the Enovy lovers. One client had bought 6 over the life of the Envoy. He liked them so much. He was a top level executive at Siedmans so he could have bought Audi, Porsche or others, but liked the Envoy. I heard a lot of people make comments about how they wished GM would bring back the Envoy. I think GM will win back those people with this size.

#9 · (Edited)
I like it.

Again, I don't usually like crossovers either. I like that they are making an effort to bake in some light to moderate off road capabilities, but I really would have wanted to see a height-adjustable air suspension or at least a slightly higher ground clearance and ride height.

The interior looks very nice, and I like the styling. Not sure I'd want one with the 2.5L motor though.

#13 ·
Quite handsome, but touting weight and fuel savings on a smaller vehicle? Ummm, yes, I sure hope so!

Does this mean a larger CUV is coming to slot into the previous Acadia class?

Oh, not a fan of the kick-up of the rear side windows though; don't like it on the Colorado, Canyon, or global Trailblazer, and don't like it here.

#25 ·
It has big shoes to fill, because the original Acadia was extremely attractive and well-received. I can't understand why they didn't go the other way and call this the Terrain, and slot a smaller Graphite (Graphyte?) below it and a new fullsize Acadia above it. Seems like an odd shuffle to make with a very successful vehicle with interior room as its main selling point.

#18 · (Edited)
Disappointing that the V-6 really doesn't improve in fuel economy from the current model..

Would be nice to see the small Duramax offered at some point...

Reactions: usa1 and briandors
#21 ·
Wasn't expecting such a small grille...................

Also not sure about the size.

"The 50/50-split third-row seat folds flat for a completely flat load floor behind the second row and when the second row is also folded, there’s 79 cubic feet (2,237 liters) of cargo room. Levers at the rear of the vehicle make it easier to fold the second- and third-row seats."

The current Acadia has 116 cu. ft. with 2nd & 3rd row down.................

#27 ·
Holy cow! Hubba hubba Acadia!

I've always liked the looks of the Acadia and I like it even moreso now. That Denali is stunning and all the other trims look so sleek. I would seriously consider buying one and I may convince my sister to peek at it when her Impala lease is up.

#29 ·
I'm not gonna lie, the first word that came out of my mouth when I saw the first picture was "ew". I can't get past the front end. Ugh. I'll wait until I see it in person to make a judgement, but I'm not a fan of its looks so far.

Interior looks fantastic, though. Sad to read that cargo room has decreased because of the car shrinking (bad move IMHO). 700 lb. weight loss is huge, but that doesn't really seem to translate well for fuel economy. A 2.5L I4 is too small, and 28 MPG isn't all that impressive. Towing capacity is down to 4,000 lbs. from the current 5,200 lbs.

I'm not a fan. :(

It'll sell, either way. People will be lining up to buy this when it arrives on dealer lots.

#35 · (Edited)
I'm not gonna lie, the first word that came out of my mouth when I saw the first picture was "ew". I can't get past the front end. Ugh. I'll wait until I see it in person to make a judgement, but I'm not a fan of its looks so far.

Interior looks fantastic, though. Interesting to read that cargo room has increased despite the car actually shrinking (bad move IMHO). 700 lb. weight loss is huge, but that doesn't really seem to translate well for fuel economy. A 2.5L I4 is too small, and 28 MPG isn't all that impressive. Towing capacity is down to 4,000 lbs. from the current 5,200 lbs.

I'm not a fan. :(

It'll sell, either way. People will be lining up to buy this when it arrives on dealer lots.
Don't be surprised to see a Trailblazer Colorado/ Canyon based rear drive SUV slotted between the Acadia and the Yukon . That will probably be the Graphyte.

Meantime , expect these to fly off the lots.

#34 ·
I mean I understand why they do it, but GM's "photography" just bugs the crap out of me. In the original post the first two pictures after the text are the same Acadia, just blown up and closer to the "camera." The reflection on the side as well as the wheel angle give that away. Then there is the Denali parked out in front of the house that doesn't reflect the shrubs that are right next to it.
I know that I'm one of the few people who would probably ever notice this, but I can guarantee that I'm not the only one who will. All that being said, I can't wait to see all that GM has to offer when I'm there Thursday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.