China to stop allowing new car factories

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: China to stop allowing new car factories

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Black Impala

China to stop allowing new car factories

China's New Rules: Tesla Must Stay Home, Used Car Factories Go Up In Price

China has effectively closed its doors to any new carmakers wanting to produce in the world’s largest automakers, a report in Beijing-based business publication Caixingglobal said. Capacity expansion by domestic automakers, and by joint ventures with overseas OEMs, also will be heavily curtailed.

China’s powerful state planner, the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) outlined projects that won’t get its approval under the policy, “covering most new investments for car production,” China’s most authoritative financial news source said.

Some expansion of existing car-producing ventures can be allowed under strict conditions. Capacity utilization must be redlining, and pledges for more new-energy vehicles must be made.

For nearly a decade, China has suffered from rampant overcapacity. Some 28 million units were sold in China last year. Production capacity in the country should be good for twice that amount. In the auto industry, capacity utilization above 80% is seen as healthy. China is generally seen at 50%. For more than a decade, Chinese planners have called for a drastic consolidation of its more than 100 automakers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertels.../#350ff7444b16

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,288 Times in 2,331 Posts
    My Ride
    17 GMC Terrain; 01 PT LTD

Re: China to stop allowing new car factory's

China has USED CAR FACTORIES??!!

I must say, they are getting way ahead of the game! Why the hell didn't we think of this?
    2017 GMC Terrain

I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did. Yogi Berra
    Half the lies they tell about me aren't true. Yogi Berra

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-15-2017),BlackGTP (06-15-2017),Citation84 (06-17-2017),Ed753 (06-17-2017),ekseubert (06-16-2017),gkr778 (06-15-2017),sfbreh (06-17-2017),StarCruiser (06-16-2017),tripowergto Jan2003 (06-16-2017),TruckMan (06-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,357 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

So they just need to buy existing car factories to expand....

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

That's good for Buick!

emh
    Thanks

This is exactly the sort of state meddling that makes me not worry too much about Chinese competitors (at least in markets outside China). Consolidation would have happened anyway when the industry is ready for it, like it did in the US in the early/mid 1900s. Trying to force a major industry's hand hardly ever works as planned.

OTOH, there may end up being many exceptions to the rule that it may not matter all that much (at least for the companies with the right connections). Just like how a lot of my Chinese-born friends have siblings although they were born during the days of the one-child policy.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (06-15-2017),StarCruiser (06-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,357 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

A side effect of this could be a reduction of urban decay. This forces the strong companies to use existing plants instead of building new ones,vs letting the secondary companies go out of business and the factories simply decaying. Though with 50% of the plants being unnecessary sounds like no matter what some plants just aren't needed. Which is a similar story for a lot of other Chinese industries. China looks to be a place of huge urban blight in the future.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    China looks to be a place of huge urban blight in the future.
    Future? China has huge swaths of urban blight and abandonment now!

Kangbashi New Area-Ordos:

Chenggong District, Kunming, Yunnan Province:

Jing Jin, Tianjin:
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Thanks

I see GM China getting hosed.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,641 Times in 2,378 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carbide View Post

Maybe, maybe not. But the alarm bells should be going off to all of those bureaucrats who have put China ahead of North America when it comes to product development.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

377Z (06-18-2017),admonite (06-16-2017),briandors (06-16-2017),Citation84 (06-17-2017),johnstarnes (06-16-2017)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 1,001 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Massive consolidation of it's automakers which number over 100. This should prove to be interesting.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Curtnik (06-17-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carbide View Post
    Why? I would be more worried about the bulk of the 100 Chinese automakers that will likely consolidate over the years. Overcapacity by 50% should mean some deals on utilizing a factory that is already built, as long as the investment to get it up to US standards isn't cost prohibitive.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Ford Fusion Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Massive consolidation of it's automakers which number over 100. This should prove to be interesting.
    Yeah I'd keep my eye on Geely. Something tells me they're big enough to buy several smaller automakers,

Thanks
    Thanked 6,804 Times in 4,772 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    A side effect of this could be a reduction of urban decay. This forces the strong companies to use existing plants instead of building new ones,vs letting the secondary companies go out of business and the factories simply decaying. Though with 50% of the plants being unnecessary sounds like no matter what some plants just aren't needed. Which is a similar story for a lot of other Chinese industries. China looks to be a place of huge urban blight in the future.
    Of course.

For nearly a decade, China has suffered from rampant overcapacity. Some 28 million units were sold in China last year. Production capacity in the country should be good for twice that amount. In the auto industry, capacity utilization above 80% is seen as healthy. China is generally seen at 50%. For more than a decade, Chinese planners have called for a drastic consolidation of its more than 100 automakers.
    What this says to me is that there are plenty of mainstream automakers at 80%+ capacity, and all the upstart chingchong xingxao brands with plans for world and domestic domination have a lot of failures under their collective belt.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,429 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Re: China to stop allowing new car factories

Originally, the Chinses planned to partner every Foreign bran in the hopes that eventually,
    sales would begin to swing back towards the local brands as the experience and quality level
    improved...

The learning curve for the Chinese is that the Chinese people prefer the Western and Asian brands
    to their local domestic brands - the transition of sales to those local brands has pretty much failed.

I wonder if the concern now is that the foreign brand are too popular and infact taking a lot of money
    and developed IP out of the country....

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Black Impala

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Of course.

What this says to me is that there are plenty of mainstream automakers at 80%+ capacity, and all the upstart chingchong xingxao brands with plans for world and domestic domination have a lot of failures under their collective belt.
    I would agree with you except for the fact that these are at least partly own by the Government either local or national.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information