GM Inside News Forum banner

Chicago: 2017 Chevrolet Trax

9K views 94 replies 49 participants last post by  mbukukanyau 
#1 ·
Chevrolet Introduces 2017 Trax
Fresh design, premium interior complement safety, connectivity enhancements
General Motors

February 10, 2016

CHICAGO – Building on its early success and the rapid growth of the segment, Chevrolet today introduced the 2017 Trax – a more expressive take on one of America’s best-selling small SUVs.

Contemporary design elements, including an all-new front-end appearance, and a new premium interior compose the visual updates, while new available active safety features and a new infotainment system – with available Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility – expand its range of customer-focused technologies.

“In the fastest-growing segment, Chevrolet Trax’s momentum is sure to continue with great design enhancements, premium details, and the latest technologies,” said Steve Majoros, director of marketing, Chevrolet Cars and Crossovers. “Features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility and four new active safety features offer customers more than most competitors – and at an entry-level price.”

With sales of 63,303 in 2015 – its first full year on the market – the Trax quickly climbed to the second-best-selling small SUV in America. It is also ranked in the top three globally, achieving more than 400,000 sales in 73 markets since its launch in late 2012. China and the United States are its top markets.

In the United States, more than half of Trax’s customers with a trade-in turned in something other than a Chevrolet. Trax also attracts nearly 60 percent female customers – the highest percentage in the brand’s entire lineup.

“With the Colorado and Trax, Chevrolet and our dealers are able to offer brand-new entries in fast-growing segments, which helps bring new customers to Chevrolet,” said Majoros. “And with other new vehicles such as the Cruze Hatchback and Bolt EV, we will continue to attract new customers to the Chevrolet franchise and continue to grow market share, as we did in 2015.”

The 2017 Trax goes on sale this fall, offered in LS, LT and new Premier trims.

Contemporary design

The Trax’s fresh, contemporary appearance reflects the modern face of Chevrolet around the globe. A new grille and headlamps echo the styling elements seen in new Chevrolet models such as the Malibu, Cruze and Volt.

“It’s a more sculptural, sophisticated design,” said Steve Kim, Chevrolet Trax designer. “There’s also a sporty streak in the new styling that speaks to the Trax’s agile, fun-to-drive personality.”

The front fascia is all-new and incorporates Chevrolet’s new proportioned dual port grille. New, sleek headlamps flow around the corners and into the front fenders. Trax LS models feature new halogen reflector headlamps and uplevel LT and new Premier models have halogen projector headlamps with LED signature lighting. Chrome also accents the outboard fog lamp bezels.

At the rear is a new fascia and dual taillamps, with the Premier model featuring LED signature lighting. The Premier is also offered with new 18-inch aluminum wheels.

Premium interior

A modified instrument panel is the foundation for the 2017 Trax’s premium interior enhancements. It interprets Chevrolet's signature dual-****pit design more expressively, with an upper dashboard hood that flows uninterrupted across the panel to enhance the perception of spaciousness.

The redesigned center instrument panel features greater visibility of a new 7-inch-diagonal MyLink color touch screen and Galvano chrome trim on the instrument panel and console contribute to the Trax’s premium ambiance. Premier models are offered with contrasting-color instrument panel trim that matches their leatherette seating trim.

“Customers will really notice the elevation in the Trax’s interior design and attention to detail,” said Kim. “It’s an environment that transcends segment boundaries, offering rich, premium appointments and seamless integration of the technologies they rely on most.”

Also new for 2017 is the instrument cluster, which features a new gauge display with prominent analog speedometer and tachometer readouts along with digital displays from the standard driver information center.

Enhanced connectivity

The 2017 Trax offers a new 7-inch diagonal infotainment system designed to support the latest connectivity technologies, including available Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility and available 4G LTE with Wi-Fi hotspot.

With the 4G LTE connection, Trax allows passengers to connect up to seven personal devices such as smartphones, laptops and tablets, to high-speed wireless Internet. Keyless Open and Start also add to the Trax’s roster of available new technologies.

New active safety features

New active safety features are designed to help alert drivers to potential crash situations. They are available depending on the model and include:
  • Side Blind Zone Alert
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert
  • Forward Collision Alert
  • Lane Departure Warning
Additional crash-avoidance technologies include a standard rearview camera. Trax also features 10 standard air bags.

Turbocharged performance

Returning for 2017 is the Trax’s Ecotec 1.4L turbocharged four-cylinder engine, which is backed by a six-speed automatic transmission. The engine is rated at an SAE-certified 138 horsepower (102 kW) and 148 lb-ft of torque (200 Nm) between 1,850 and 4,900 rpm.

Photography

See less See more
#6 ·
Huge improvement on what they had to start with, but still ticking the "blamd" box.
I'm glad the little booger got a quick update, especially since it needed it. I think the second generation should really step it up even further.

#8 ·
Since the Opel Mokka will get the direct injection 1.4 turbo for 2017 why doesn't the Trax.? Styling wise it's a nice upgrade, however the Mokka received the superior interior upgrade treatment. With the piano black center stack looking much richer in appearance.

Reactions: steve333 and Shoot
#65 ·
You and me both, no climate is a minus, I bet Holden wont import the AWD, I could be interested in something this size with AWD and the 1.6T it would perfect for my camping and fishing trips away with the boys from work.

Reactions: dave38
#17 ·
Well since we're talking about the Ecosport and Trax looking similar, I think we can say that the interiors aren't close, and the one in the Chevy is better than the one in the Ford:

The Chevy interior looks to be of higher quality, has a more coherent design (IMHO), and just looks like a nicer place to be.

#25 ·
I guess I don't understand the desire for the Trax to have gotten the Mokka MCE. One could safely assume that the Encore will get the same changes as the Mokka, for its MCE. We would then have two identical vehicles with different badges. I don't hate the current Trax, but this MCE makes it much more palatable. This will only improve already strong sales. I have high hopes for the next gen, but this is a competitive offering as is.

#28 ·
This. Mokka is and has always been literally an Encore with Opel badges slapped on. Trax is and has always been similar, but still different in design from Mokka/Encore a la Equinox/Terrain.

Not sure why everyone's up in arms. If you want the Mokka X, wait for New York when GM reveals the Mokka X with a Tri-Shield and "Encore" badges.

#26 · (Edited)
Nice styling upgrade from the present one in the showroom...

These and the little Buick encore are what consumers are looking for instead of compact sedans...

I think these segment vehicles will bring in young consumers to Chevy and Buick dealer showrooms...

I know one of my sons ABA therapists that comes to the house needs a vehicle...I think she is 25? And she is willing to spend 600 dollars more a year for a compact CUV with less features than a compact sedan like the new honda civic...

Pay more, get less....just to get a cuv look...

The new driving kids, mid 20 s and even some adults want these little CUVs.

Chevys new face is ten times better than the present trax facia.....

A little dull but not butt ugly...

The encore was nice In Both old and new iterations...

I thought the 1.4 in the last iteration was a bit weak so hopefully the new ones a little better..

Most shopping the segment didn't mind at all if the cuv was what they wanted...and for around town...or highway rolling I'm sure it was fine....

I didn't care for it....but I just compared it the 2.4 in the verano which was much more torquey for a 15 to 20 percent less transaction price..new to new...

The domestics have a bit of good fortune....since their truck and cuv lineup does NoT hold any negative connotation compared to its sedan lineup does ....in fact...

American trucks big or small do hold a favorable impression with Americans....

The fact that mini cuv s are hot...is a blessing for ford gm and Chrysler..

#30 ·
Mini cuv s are much more COoL in appearance than compact and sub compact sedans...

Consumers are willing to pay more for less...just to get that cuv look...

This is a blessing for American manufacturers whose negatives in consumers minds on the cars doesn't exist on the CUVs.....big or small...

In fact it's favorable to consumers....

I just hope gm ford and Chrysler don't blow this golden opportunity to reshape their image to consumers just to save a buck here or there...

This latest track update omens pretty quick on the heels of what seems like its recent original first iteration release in America...

Well done gm..

And I bet the lease residuals on these little CUVs are high too....

#42 ·
The interior is miles on the current one. Exterior looks good...more cleaned up and tightened. My gripe? Why does this get the carry over 1.4? Both Encore and Trax need the new 1.4 LE2 out of the new Cruze. Traxcore need more power!

Reactions: steve333
#74 ·
New I said that this morning the same thread. I love the new exterior and interior but why would they not use the new 1.4 T DI engine. I am currently leasing a 2015 Trax LT and love it but I will admit when pulling out onto a highway I wish I had that extra 15 hp and that extra 29ft lbs of Torque. I think we will eventually see the new 1.4 in this vehicle maybe even sometime next year. I think the MCE would've been a homerun with the new 1.4 T DI engine. What do you all think ?

#48 ·
2017 Chevy Trax Shows its New Face

Chevrolet has revealed the 2017 Trax, which will make its official debut Thursday at the 2016 Chicago Auto Show.

It’s new front end is the most prominent change on the small crossover, which now includes the dual port grille being adopted by other Chevy models. The 2017 Trax will be offered in LS, LT and Premier trim, with the LT and Premier models getting halogen projector headlamps with LED signature lights. Big 18-inch wheels also come with the Premier trim.

Inside, a revised center stack layout is found, which Chevy says adopts a dual-****pit design. A 7-inch MyLink touch screen, which has been tilted more towards the driver, making it easier to reach and see, is fitted in the center stack surrounded by chrome trim. Premier models get contrasting-color instrument panel trim that matches the leatherette color of the seats.

Chevy has also revised the instrument cluster in the car, which now features an analog speedometer and tachometer along with a digital display.

Like many cars in the GM lineup, the Trax will have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity and available 4G LTE Wi-Fi. New safety technology on the Trax includes side blind zone alert, rear cross traffic alert, forward collision alert and lane departure warning.

Like before, the Trax is powered by a 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with 138 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque.
Read more about the 2017 Chevy Trax Shows its New Face at AutoGuide.com.

#49 ·
Nice face lift but in typical GM fashion they only go halfway with the re-fresh. Why in the world would they carry over the old under powered 138 HP 1.4T, especially when the much cheaper and lighter Cruze is getting the 153 HP new motor? Most every test gives it a negative review partially on it's weak powertrain! Obviously the new 1.4T will go right in this platform and is already certified to do so with the Buick Encore Sport version. They rarely ever can seem to bat a full home run and seem content on second or third base. The new 2017 Trax should have nothing less than the 153 HP 1.4T as std across the board and the Buick should have the bigger 1.5T from the Malibu, at least in the Sport model to help justify it's higher price. Same goes for the re-freshed Equinox and Terrain. Those should have had the newer 2.5 and have ditched the old 2.4 by now, ditto the Regal and Verano. The goal here is to increase customer satisfaction and Cafe numbers not let bean counters keep holding your company back.

#67 ·
Major improvement in the front although completely derivative. Do car designers actually get paid to copy everyone else? Getting very tiresome. Enough with the gaping maw grills already.
Interior is a big improvement and I believe I see a proper power/volume knob in the middle.
However, leatherette is garbage.

Thank you for saving me for having to say exactly what you said. Not making the new engine standard is inexcusable, IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.