GM Inside News Forum banner

Chevy Prices the 2017 Corvette Grand Sport

3K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Speedjerk 
#1 ·
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – Chevrolet announced today the track-bred 2017 Corvette Grand Sport will be priced at $66,445 for coupe models and $70,445 for convertibles, when they go on sale this summer. The prices include the destination charge, but not tax, title and other dealer fees.

With heritage-inspired design cues combined with track-focused chassis and suspension elements, the new Grand Sport builds on a legacy established in 1963, when five Grand Sport race cars were built under the direction of the Corvette’s first chief engineer, Zora Arkus-Duntov.

“The racing DNA of the original Grand Sport race cars is in the 2017 model, adding greater dimensions of capability and driver involvement to the Corvette’s award-winning architecture, for a purer driving experience,” said Harlan Charles, Corvette product marketing manager. “It is a worthy successor to the spirit of the originals.”

The 2017 Grand Sport’s lightweight architecture, downforce-producing aerodynamics package, enhanced cooling package, electronic limited-slip differential and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires combine to offer a Chevrolet-estimated 1.05g in cornering capability – and up to 1.2g with the available Z07 package, which includes Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires.

The new Grand Sport also offers estimated 0-60-mph performance of 3.6 seconds and quarter-mile capability of 11.8 seconds at 118 mph, with the available Z07 performance package and available paddle-shift eight-speed automatic transmission. A seven-speed manual with Active Rev Match is standard.

Further, engineers adapted the Brembo braking system from the Corvette Z06 to give it estimated 60-0-mph performance of less than 100 feet with the available Z07 package, which adds carbon ceramic-matrix brake rotors, along the PS Cup 2 tires.

In addition to the track-focused chassis and suspension components, the Grand Sport features unique exterior elements, including specific front fender inserts and Z06-style grille, as well as wider fenders and rear quarter panels to accommodate a wider track.

Grand Sport models are offered with the Stingray’s full exterior and interior color palette, including 10 exterior colors:

Admiral Blue Metallic (late 2016 addition)
Watkins Glen Gray Metallic (new for 2017)
Black Rose Metallic (new for 2017)
Sterling Blue Metallic (new for 2017)
Long Beach Red Metallic Tintcoat
Arctic White
Blade Silver Metallic
Black
Corvette Racing Yellow Tintcoat
Torch Red.

An available Heritage package includes hash-mark fender graphics in six colors, with the hash mark detail carried onto the interior’s brushed aluminum trim. Full-length stripes are also offered in five colors. They are joined by the available Z07 package, five wheel choices and available carbon fiber ground effects to offer a wide and diverse range of customizable choices.

See less See more
#6 ·
$66k seems like a bargain for what you get... I'm quite sure they'll sell a ton of 'em.

#7 ·
Today I found a new 1LZ z06 for 72500......on the inter web...not that I bought it...but still...

That's six grand well spent.

The grand sport should have had the power upped to over 500 hp.

Jmo

#13 ·
From what was released no engine power, though I wonder what the weight of the Grand Sport with just the 8 speed auto and Z07 package. The C7 weighs from 3,298 pounds to around 3,450 pounds depending on how it is optioned up. Take many of the Z06 lightness features especially with the Z07 package and it probably weighs less then the upper limits of a Z51 C7 maybe around 3,350 pounds and a rear weight split (the Z06 is slightly front heavy). Combine that with the grip from the cup tires from the Z07 package and you will probably see some 0-60 runs faster then 3.6 seconds. Honestly if I were in the market for a C7 right now the Grand Sport would certainly be the car that I would look at. Z07 package would depend on exactly how I would use the car.....

#15 ·
... priced at $66,445 ... 1.05g in cornering ... 0-60-mph performance of 3.6 sec ... quarter-mile capability of 11.8 seconds at 118 mph ... 60-0-mph performance of less than 100 feet ...
Where else can you get this combination?

I'll take mine in Arctic White. :D

#16 · (Edited)
I'm glad gm offers both but the 650 hp monster gets my vote...

I'm still not sure which transmission though....

Manual or automatic and does the ten speed automatic make it from the ZL1 camaro make it to the 2017 z06? Is that the transmission of choice....?

The videos of the 10 speed automatic ZL1 looked pretty bad @ ss..

Gm should have given the GS 500 hp at least...

I'm sorry but I test drove a 460 hp c7 and it was a cool ride but it wasn't enough hp .....436 to 460 just didn't cut especially with the slight weight increase....

I think gm if it wants more sales needs more hp for the grand sport ..

460 is not enough...it needs to climb over 500 hp ...

Just my two cents...maybe in a couple of years if sales slow down...

Maybe it's the gas guzzler tax that GM is holding off for....but still....id rather pay the gas guzzler tax...lol

Maybe that's the reason for the upcoming 10 speed?

Corvette guys dig more power....more performance.....

The performance is impressive but for a base of 66 grand....corvette buyers want more...(even if it already crushes the Competition)

If the dodge boys and the ford guys can for 66 grand offer 526 or 707 for around 66 grand....gm better get with the program to not be last in the hp race even with the best acceleration times...(b/c of lightweight compared to 4 seaters)

#23 ·
I'm hopeful for more hp and tq...

Should have been over 500hp at the very least...

Trap speed should have been over 121 mph...

Which would mean at least 485 hp...if not more..

Remember 66 grand is the base grand sport...

GM is getting stingy with ho lately and oil pricing is at an all time low...

Retune that PCM for more power...

Maybe they are waiting for the ten speed automatic to reach sufficient production capacity

#27 ·
I am very much considering purchasing a new Cayman GT4. I've test drove it; hot damn that will be the ticket. You cannot buy a certified used 2016 for less than $110k. I may spec a new one that will ding the wallet at 95k. Don't need nor want all the hoopla Porsche dealers like to force on their clients shopping off the lot. This new model has done some amazing feats on track. It's the closest driving experience to what I've got now, raw and intimate.

#26 ·
Needs more power. No reason it should not eclipse the GT350 in power. Yes, it has more torque, but Z51 got beat by the base GT350, which cost 10k less than this. Give us 550 hp and I will sell the NSX for one. Promise.

GM can afford to do this. Tadge said five years ago the team has access to a motor more potent than the LS7 that is emission compliant, just not as powerful as the LT4. They are protecting the Z06. Put that motor in this car and the Z/28 and bump the price accordingly.

#29 ·
The A10 in the various camaro ZL1 videos seem pretty impressive. I think that might be a better performance transmission than the A8.

I believe gm said the A8 was faster on the track than the M7.

Maybe the cooling issue has been addressed in the A10?

I'm not sure the GT350 is even as quick as a camaro 1LE much less a ZL1...

Maybe the grand sport is quicker on the track than a similarly priced GT350?

As far as the Cayman S of this test I think the z51 was faster and the choice of the magazine including the variant of interior accommodation....a long standing favorite of magazine writers to complain about.

We all have choices and yet when I see the prices of Porsche models like the Cayman GT4 or 911s I tend to look at and compare them to the c7 z06 1LZ that I be seen offered brand new at around 72,73 or 74 grand.

Where it would crush them on the track.....

I say the same thing about the 66 grand grand sport too...

What can I say except that 650 warrantied hp is more tempting.

#30 · (Edited)
What I can agree with you on is GM should come out with a NA motor slotted between the LT1 and LT4, specifically for the GS and Z/28. Something around 550 hp would make for a good fit while adding credibility to the engineering capability of GM, especially to those who buy on numbers over performance. As a real car guy who attends HPDE's, I will appreciate it. It will convince me to buy a new C7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.