GM Inside News Forum banner

Chevrolet Camaro 1LE Returns for 2017 with V6 and V8 Options

10K views 72 replies 31 participants last post by  bballr4567 
#1 · (Edited)
Camaro 1LE Returns For 2017 - On The V6 Too!

The Chevrolet Camaro 1LE performance package returns for 2017, poised to set new benchmarks for attainable track performance.

The package builds off the success of the previous-generation 1LE, offering increased handling and track performance. In response to customer demand, Chevrolet will offer two distinct 1LE packages, for both V6 and V8 models, each visually distinguished with a satin black hood, specific wheels and more.

For the first time, the 1LE package will be available on Camaro 1LT or 2LT coupes equipped with the 3.6L V6. Featuring more aggressive suspension tuning, standard Brembo brakes and Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, the LT 1LE delivers an estimated 0.97G in cornering grip. Available Recaro seats will keep you planted through the corners, and an available Performance Data Recorder will allow you to view and share your track experience.

The new 1LE package for Camaro 1SS models includes magnetic ride control, with a new FE4 suspension tuning and a new, segment-exclusive electronic limited slip differential (eLSD). Paired with massive Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, lateral acceleration will exceed 1G. Additional features available on the 1LE package include standard Recaro seats and a Performance Data Recorder (PDR), new to the Camaro lineup.

As a result, the 1LE package elevates the award-winning performance that earned Camaro the 2016 Motor Trend Car of the Year and Car and Driver 10Best awards.

“The Camaro 1LE packages follow a recipe any track-day enthusiast will appreciate,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “Start with a lightweight, stiff structure and then add higher levels of suspension stiffness and damping, more aggressive tires, higher downforce, more powerful brakes and more cooling.

“The result delivers better performance in all measures,” said Oppenheiser. “In our development tests, the V-6 Camaro 1LE delivers lap times comparable with the previous-gen V-8 model. The 2016 Camaro SS 1LE sets the new benchmark for the segment, lapping the Big Willow track at Willow Springs three seconds faster than the standard Camaro SS.”

The new 1LE packages are available in late 2016, on 2017 Camaro SS and LT V-6 coupes equipped with manual transmissions. Pricing and performance data will be announced at a later date.
Camaro LT 1LE

The Camaro LT 1LE was developed to be the most track-capable sports coupe in its price class. Highlights include:

3.6L V-6 rated at 335 horsepower and matched with the six-speed manual transmission
FE3 suspension components (from the Camaro SS), including dampers, rear cradle mounts, ball-jointed rear toe links and stabilizer bars
Lightweight 20-inch forged aluminum wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 245/40R20 front tires and 275/35R20 rear tires
Brembo 4-piston front brake calipers
Mechanical Limited-slip differential with 3.27 ratio
Standard track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
Suede steering wheel and shorter-throw shifter
Standard dual mode exhaust system
Camaro SS fuel system for higher-load cornering capability
Satin black hood, front splitter and unique three-piece rear spoiler
Unique high flow upper and lower grille with satin black accents
Available Recaro seats and PDR video/data recording system.
“With a curb weight under 3,500 pounds, excellent front-to-rear weight balance and the precision of the FE3 suspension, the Camaro LT 1LE offers unmatched capability in its class,” said Oppenheiser. “As a result, it offers incredible performance for Camaro V-6 customers.”

Camaro SS 1LE

The 2017 Camaro SS 1LE introduces the new FE4 suspension to the Gen Six Camaro – a performance-oriented chassis system with specific tuning for the Magnetic Ride dampers, springs and stabilizer bars. Additional highlights include:

6.2L LT1 V-8 rated at 455 horsepower, and six-speed manual transmission (automatic transmission not available)
Magnetic Ride Control
Segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential with 3.73 ratio
Unique forged aluminum wheels with 285/30ZR20 front tires and 305/30ZR20 rear tires
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires with a compound and construction developed exclusively for the Camaro – offering exceptional grip on the track
Brembo brakes with new six-piston monobloc front red calipers – featuring the 1LE logo – and two-piece rotors. Measuring 14.6 inches (370mm) in diameter, the front rotors are 7 percent larger than Camaro SS
Track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
Suede steering wheel with shorter-throw shifter
Dual mode exhaust system
Recaro front seats with aggressive bolsters optimized for shifting and steering comfort
Satin black hood, front mirrors and unique three-piece rear spoiler
Satin Graphite front splitter and rear diffuser
Available PDR video/data recording system.

FAST FACT: The 1LE package was developed in 1988 to make the Camaro more competitive in Showroom Stock road racing series and officially debuted in 1989. Four examples were reportedly built in 1988; with 111 built in 1989. The 1LE package was also featured on fourth-gen vehicles through the 1999 model year, returning to the fifth-gen Camaro in 2013.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...news/us/en/2016/feb/cas/0210-camaro.html?ewpp

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Camaro 1LE Returns For 2017 - For The V6 Too!

I don't get the standard MRC. My understanding is it's not legal in sanctioned racing. I could see optional, but they can keep it if it's standard. I have no interest in paying for a suspension I don't want. I guess I'll be keeping my 5th gen 1LE.

#5 ·
Re: Camaro 1LE Returns For 2017 - For The V6 Too!

I don't get the standard MRC. My understanding is it's not legal in sanctioned racing. I could see optional, but they can keep it if it's standard. I have no interest in paying for a suspension I don't want. I guess I'll be keeping my 5th gen 1LE.
Who doesn't sanction it? People race the V's and they have MRC

#6 ·
Re: Camaro 1LE Returns For 2017 - On The V6 Too!

MRC standard is the one thing that turns me off, also the 1LE with MRC is looking to be an expensive package......I am guessing that the 1LE package for the 1SS will be $5,000.....

Now I would love to see them offer something similar for the 2.0T Camaro.....

Reading the specs and the V-6 1LE looks like it is really just a 1SS with the LGX powertrain, not a bad way to go though considering. It might be able to give the standard Mustang GT a run for its money around a track.

#9 ·

Why have different setups for the V6 to V8? Would love to have this powered by the Ecotec though.

Reactions: richmond2000
#10 · (Edited)

I'm not sure if Al O. is saying that the V6 1LE laps as fast as the last 1LE, (is that possible?), or the last V8 Camaro?
Al O. said:
In our development tests, the V-6 Camaro 1LE delivers lap times comparable with the previous-gen V-8 model.

#22 ·

I was surprised 1le have MRC shocks....I wasn't sure which they would use...

Whatever this new 1le costs....I think it's the camaro v8 to buy...

I'm not a big fan of PDr although the re arose sounds both enticing and costly...probably money well spent?

I wonder how much more the 1le will cost on the ss? Will it be around the same 3500 as was the cost on the 5 th gen...

Gotta be more because the MRC shocks alone are 1800 bucks......

#24 ·

Well, I pretty much called it, with the exception of the availability of the automatic (I thought that 1LE would be available with the A8). I have to admit, I don't understand the MRC hate... I think that MRC, coupled with the eLSD and the gee-whiz stability control, makes extreme levels of performance (and control) much more attainable.

Yeah, yeah, you're actually Johnny O'Connell hiding behind a generic screen name... and I'm the reincarnation of John Holmes. As much as I'd like to believe that my skill as a driver is such that things like MRC are going to keep me from attaining a world-record-setting lap time, let's be honest... for 99.999% of us, MRC will not be a limiting factor on the track and will allow for a greater degree of flexibility in regard to the viable uses of the car; it can be a buttoned down curb-brushing, apex-clipping monster on the track, or a comfortable highway cruiser. I'm really not seeing a down side here.

Reactions: vanshmack
#25 ·

glad GM is not limiting handling packages to the V8 models. v8s are awesome, but for me, i rather save the money on the cost of the vehicle and insurance and have fun on the turns, since where i live there are few straightaways and nothing is over 55mph for 50miles.

used to annoy me back in the 90s and 2000s that mustang and camaro v6 models were not offered with handling packages

#30 · (Edited)

I'll check it out tomorrow. I guess you guys would want me to ask GM: Why MRC?

I think the answer is simply because MRC just is amazing at keeping the tires in contact with the track surface for better lap times...

Of course it makes staying with gm parts imperative....which is ok.....I do remember, earlier corvette owners freaking out on the cost of replacing earlier MRC shocks...LOL it's replacement cost would make your eyeballs POP! That's the cost of progress I'd imagine and I'm sure the more sold ...the lower the replacement cost could become,,.

MRC shocks was the SMART CALL.....THAT MRC SYSTEM ROCKS,!

I do think with MRC standard as part of 1LE...the option packs closer to $5300 versus $3500 of the 5 gen cost for 1LE...

Money well spent...in my opinion and still at 43 grand an amazing deal...

This things a beast for road course camaro owners,,,

I'm glad the v6 package exists but the v8 would be the way I'd suggest...

Nothing more fun than the roar of 455 hp ...

Ask at the show if the 1LE is still warrantied for non competitive track use

#27 ·

Depending on pricing, the V6 1LE might be the sweet spot of the line. Great sounding motor, capable suspension and brakes, nice to look at and likely in the low $30K range. Plus, it gives the V6 some credibility as a performance car (as opposed to a cheaper car).

Honestly, if I were in the market, I'd give this a very hard look. A white V6 1LE with the satin black hood would be lot of car for the money. Strikes me as more 'special' than a base Mustang GT or Challenger, but I value balance and feel over sheer power. I'm probably in the minority, though -- all the more reason to celebrate GM serving up such a car.

#29 ·

The new Chevrolet Camaro is a pretty outstanding vehicle.

Its got killer looks, a lineup of great powertrains and it drives like a dream. But that’s not good enough! You see, engineers have been hard at work developing a performance package that further improves this car’s dance moves.

Yes, the 1LE package is set to return for the 2017 model year. The folks at Chevrolet claim this options group will set a new benchmark for attainable track performance.

But perhaps the biggest news here is that it will be available on BOTH V6- and V8-powered Camaros. This move broadens its appeal to more customers.

Upper-trim six-cylinder cars can be upgraded with the 1LE package, which provides numerous go-fast enhancements. More aggressive suspension tuning, standard Brembo brakes with lightweight, forged 20-inch wheels and Goodyear Eagle F1 tires are included. An upgraded cooling system keeps heat in check while a mechanical limited-slip differential helps put every pony to the ground. Dressing things up is a black, satin-finished hood and suede interior accents. Recaro seats and a Performance DataRecorder are available for extra cost.

All told this car should be able to deliver a whisker less than 1G of cornering grip along with comparable lap times to the previous-generation V8-powered model.

Camaro SS variants benefit from many of the same enhancements just listed but they also gain magnetic ride control, a segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential, unique rims and much more. Oh, and remember, they also feature a 455-horsepower 6.2-liter V8 engine that’s matched exclusively to a six-speed manual transmission. In comparison, V6 cars offer “just” 335 ponies.

Chevrolet’s new 1LE package will be available months down the road on 2017 model year Camaros. Naturally, official pricing and performance information will be announced closer to its availability date. Still, it’s nice to get a sneak peak of this hot new package on a cold winter day.
Read more about the Chevrolet Camaro 1LE Returns for 2017 with V6 and V8 Options at AutoGuide.com.

#31 ·

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing these things hit the track.

#33 ·

With the recaros I think we re talking a minimum of 8 grand....

The MRC s just out perform regular shocks on the track...

Don't want to know replacement costs but from a performance perspective MRC rules.

I'm sure that's what we will hear...

Too bad no DCT....That would have given sales volume to gm....

Look how many m4 DCT s are sold versus m6 s....same will be for the m2....and check out the Porsche lineup...

Volume and percentage of DCT s is huge...

I'd pay an extra 3 grand for a DCT 1lE and corvette z51...

#34 ·

With the recaros I think we re talking a minimum of 8 grand....

The MRC s just out perform regular shocks on the track...

Don't want to know replacement costs but from a performance perspective MRC rules.

I'm sure that's what we will hear...

Too bad no DCT....That would have given sales volume to gm....

Look how many m4 DCT s are sold versus m6 s....same will be for the m2....and check out the Porsche lineup...

Volume and percentage of DCT s is huge...

I'd pay an extra 3 grand for a DCT 1lE and corvette z51...
This is about it being a visceral machine. You don't get that with a DCT.

If you want the 1LE, learn to drive manual.

#50 ·
Fair enough. My concern is the 1LE was supposed to be a simple, affordable package that increased the track performance of the V8 Camaro. I see the list of standard features, and I see the cost increasing substantially. If MRC and the eLSD increase the performance by a solid margin over a good hydraulic setup, I guess I can live with it. Looking up the price of a standard 1LE damper vs the MRC damper, and it's multiple times the cost makes me question if MRC is actually worth that kind of cost increase.

If you are building an all out track car where you are looking for every 10th, sure, I can see using components that may be beyond the point of diminishing returns. I just don't think the 1LE is that kind of package.

#51 ·
The good thing about MRC is we are now on the 4th generation of it. Costs have come down a lot. Yes, the replacement cost is expensive but they are fantastic. Especially when it comes to lowered cars. While I love the 1LE ride, it does take a very special person to drive them every day. I've been driving on coilovers for almost 3 years now. I'd LOVE to have MRC. lol

I understand about the costs but it is a very niche market and the owners love the cars. You love to drive it dont you? Why not take it one notch higher with factory components. The ELSD is amazing on the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.