GM Inside News Forum banner

April's Chevy Volt Sales Show That an Updated Model Sure Does Help

5K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  Harry_Wild 
#1 ·
April's Chevy Volt sales show that an updated model sure does help
AutoBlog
Sebastian Blanco

You would think that Nissan would get tired of – month after month – learning that just resting on its first-gen Leaf laurels means getting lower sales figures than its longtime rival the Chevy Volt. But, apparently, no. Sales of the second-gen Volt continue to rise, while the five-and-a-half-year-old Leaf (yes, it's gotten incremental and hard-to-spot upgrades) can't catch a break.

Last month, Volt sales were up 119 percent over the 905 sold in April 2015, to 1,983 units. For the year thus far, Volt sales are up 115 percent, from 2,779 in the first four months of 2015 to 5,970 so far this year. That's what an improved second-gen model will get you. What will a long-running model get you? Well, Leaf sales were down 49 percent last month, to just 787 units. Compared to 2015, Leaf sales were down 34 percent through April, with 5,638 Leafs sold last year and just 3,718 this year.
continued at above link

See less See more
#7 ·
Well, it's also less expensive than every Cadillac model (especially after GM/Chevrolet lowered the price of entry for this gen Volt), been greatly improved over the model it replaced, and is the best electric/plug-in model available anywhere near its price-point... In the relatively small market for electrics/plug-ins, the Volt has garnered a reputation for reliability and delivering exactly what was promised, so it has become the "go to" car for electric intenders at its price-point. Its stock is on the rise. Simply put, the Volt should outsell most Cadillac models at this point...

Cadillac's big problem is that luxury sedans simply don't sell well anymore, and they don't have the all important crossovers to capture mid-level luxury intenders. It's going to be bad for Caddy until those gaping holes in their lineup are filled...

#20 ·
Agreed. Also considering that in the largest market (California) you can't get clean air stickers any more.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...nia-carpool-lane-stickers-for-plug-in-hybrids

Also while the Volt has been available in all 50 states for about 5 weeks now. There are many dealers that have had very limited allocation. I expect May numbers to be even better.

Of note Volt sales were 260 in Canada. An all time record. Last month was also an all time record. GM Canada sold more Volts in April 2016 than the first four months of 2015 combined.

In Canada this year the Volt is selling in comparable numbers to the Camaro (702 Volt, 773 Camaro). And that's only because the Camaro had a very good April in Canada.

#14 ·
Nice to see an increase, but 2 times a low number is still a low number. I still look at the Gen I and Gen II cars as test beds for what is to come so that the car companies can meet federal guidelines.... Be great to sell these in high volumes, but with gas being cheap....

I'd like to see GM test this tech in the Silverado (or the Colorado), even with cheap gas it still costs a lot to get around in and GM might find a bigger market there. Especially if the battery pack can be used as a power source for tools, etc. (couldn't the two-mode do that?).

#18 ·
You must live in that fantasy world where engineering and development is free and there are no resource constraints. To put a powertrain in a platform requires platform and powertrain (oops propulsion system) engineers and designers, prototype builders, development engineers, calibration engineers, durability testers, facilities, track time, etc, etc. So when you decide how to deploy all of these resources you must choose those projects which provide the best return within the constraints of the overall portfolio strategy. Putting the Volt PT in every GM platform would be a colossal undertaking (package the batteries??) with very little return in today's cheap gasoline market. Fingersnap portfolio management can be fun but Mary needs to deliver actual returns to shareholders.

#16 ·
Is the Volt on sale in all states yet? I'm surprised the figures are not higher as they are appearing exponentially here in L.A. It's amazing how many I see every day, so I have a hunch the New Volt is going to be selling quite a bit more once it is fully established.

I believe you can't get power seats, or a sunroof on the Volt and this is a big omission imo, It will definitely hamper sales. The Volt is one of the nicest looking cars out there, very striking looking rather than the goofiness of the Leaf, and that along with it's much greater range is it's trump card. GM really need to do a Bolt variant that has the look of the Volt FTW.

#22 ·
I believe you can't get power seats, or a sunroof on the Volt and this is a big omission imo, It will definitely hamper sales.
Webasto makes a couple of sunroofs for the last gen Volt, so there will probably be one available in the near future.
I had a Webasto installed in one of our Cadillacs, it was a very nice unit. I'd do it.

The power seat thing is just stupid. GM has one... ELRs have power memory seats. Should've been an option.

Reactions: Ed753
#30 ·
Looks better and has improved sales.....sounds positive to me. There are a few Volts around here but I would like to see more. GM should advertise the Volt more.

#31 ·
It's crazy how many I keep seeing. A beautiful white one was pulling out of a parking lot as I passed it so I'm viewing it at 90 degrees as I approach and it has such a lithe and taut appearance. IMO this is a better resolved design than the Tesla Model 3, especially the front. Add some tasty wheels (19-20"?) and the Bolt's driveline and Chevrolet won't be able to get them to the dealers fast enough IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.