GM Inside News Forum banner

5 Pieces of Shop Equipment to Simplify At-Home Car Repair

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  jossch 
#1 ·

A look at five basic pieces of shop equipment to help breeze through at-home car repair

Whether you’re new to the world of at-home car repair, or you’re a DIY veteran looking to expand your home repair capabilities, adding a few affordable and effective products to your car repair toolkit can help make a wide range of tasks easier and faster.

Is car repair your hobby? Passion? A way to save a few bucks? In any case, you’ll find no shortage of options to add convenience and efficiency to the mix when it’s time to wrench on your ride.
Read more about the 5 Pieces of Shop Equipment to Simplify At-Home Car Repair

See less See more
#3 ·
Just you.

The 5 tool selections are fairly obvious and not quite sure it warranted an eBay article.

I'll save you guys a click:
RAMPS
LIGHTING
FLUID TRANSFER PUMP
OBD READER
FULL TOOL KIT

#9 ·
Ramps are worthless, how are you gong to change your tires or do brake work if you car is still sitting on its tires. You're going to need a jack. (and no, cars don't come with useful jacks).
Lighting? that's a tool? you could work out in the daylight, or a well lit garage.
Fluid transfer pump? I've worked on cars (and many other things) for decades, and never once needed such a thing.
OBD reader? Just go to an auto parts store. Most will read you your cars diagnostic information for free.

#4 ·
I'm gonna put in a lift when my wife and I get our keeper house.

Gotta hate tool kits that skip things like 25/32'' and 16mm sockets and wrenches

#8 ·
What's up with this? Did some 6th grader have a homework assignment on making "lists"?

#12 ·
Ramps aren't needed. I have a nice jack and a nice set of jack stands. And a nice creeper makes underneath jobs a snap.

And good lighting is a must. Your hood can easily block the over head lights and underneath a vehicle is also dark. I have a flood light on a 30' retractable cord that also has a large magnet and additional plugs on it. Worth every penny.

Besides a full socket, wrench, and screwdriver set, it's nice to have an impact wrench if you remove wheels often.

I also have a mirror, claw, and strong magnet on a extendable handle - great for finding and picking small parts that might drop into tight places.

#14 ·
I've used 2x12's to make my car ramps, I start with my longest piece and nail shorter pieces on to create a gradual grade to drive up on. I place them in front of the tires and drive up on them, you can use them just for the front tires or build four and mimic a car lift. I also found having a tool cart with the proper tools laid out helps, it beats asking your wife to search in your tool box !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.