GM Inside News Forum banner

2017 HD Trucks Spotted Again

10K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  61695 
#1 ·
Spied: 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 3500, GMC Sierra 3500
PickupTrucks.com
July 25, 2015
By: Mark Williams

With the recent debut of both refreshed half-ton 2016 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra (see grille photos of both below), it's no wonder our spy shooters are beginning to seeing activity in the next-gen heavy-duty segment. We haven't heard anything about GM's Duramax making an attempt to leapfrog the Ram Cummins' maximum torque rating of 900 pounds-feet, but we're guessing it won't be long before someone tries for the magic 1,000.

Here's the latest from the road:

Today we caught up to the 2017 Sierra and Silverado 3500 HD dualie while out on a test run in metro Detroit.

GM will likely update these HD pickups after the release of the face-lifted 2016 Silverado and Sierra 1500 models. These new versions get revised exterior styling, with features lifted from some passenger-car models such as the LED running lights and revised grilles.
Full article is available at the link above.

See less See more
#3 ·
So it looks like they will not get the revised fascias of the half ton.

Seems like if they had an 8spd standard we could see smaller engines - I was interested to see they mentioned the 2020's will have smaller engines. I've never seen that specifically enumerated before.

"According to our sources, the face-lifted HD trucks are supposed to last until 2020 or so, when the next-generation GM pickups will adopt a more aluminum intensive outer structure to reduce weight, as well as carry newly downsized engines for better efficiency."

#5 · (Edited)
A) So it looks like they will not get the revised fascias of the half ton.

B) Seems like if they had an 8spd standard we could see smaller engines - I was interested to see they mentioned the 2020's will have smaller engines. I've never seen that specifically enumerated before.

"According to our sources, the face-lifted HD trucks are supposed to last until 2020 or so, when the next-generation GM pickups will adopt a more aluminum intensive outer structure to reduce weight, as well as carry newly downsized engines for better efficiency."
A) It's easy to test the new Duramax with the current noses since it will be the same size as the current diesel. Expect the MCE in traditional "1 year later" fashion.
B) Maybe GM is working on revising the 4.5L V8? But, it wouldn't win any towing contests.

b4z said:
Is 900 or a1,000 lb ft even necessary? Pretty soon u are going to need a CDL to own a diesel pickup.
Pickuptrucks.com had some editors & staffers obtain a CDL in order to be legal in case any Department of Transportation pulled them over. I think that was when engines finally crested 800 lb.-ft. But, this was due to weight, not power. And 1000 is necessary, 'cause 'Murica.

#26 ·
I
It makes you wonder if the DOT even knows. Since the Ram, Super Dutys & GM HDs aren't "big rigs", no one probably knows to have them weighed..
In Ontario Canada they sure do,
trying to register only a half ton coming from another province I had to jump thru the hoops,have it weighted at the truck scale,check the emissions on the motor etc.
.it's all for the good though as there were many big rigs while back running unsafe trucks having wheels and axles come off and kill someone else..

#17 ·
Well I have to take care of my 3500 to trade it in on the next Gen 3500, The only change I would like is a updated 6.2, 8 speed, rear air vents, and I wish it had a Roll up, and down rear glass like the Tundra.

#19 ·
If your operating as a business or operating "commercially" then there are rules to follow. If your just pulling a big ass RV (with a combined weight over 26K), no one is going to bother you. I do operate commercially and have to play by their rules and there are a lot of them. I am patiently waiting for GM to release these "enhanced" Duramax pickups. I will absolutely own one. Good thing there is no such thing as "Overkill".

Reactions: NoStopN
#21 ·
I'm all for less intervention, but the amount of times I see pickups towing loads with the bed way down low to almost no clearance for the rear wheels barreling down the fast lane like a sports car is scary. Not to say that the majority of pickup drivers don't know how to properly tow.

#31 ·
I wonder what the displacement of the new Duramax is going to be? I remember GM saying that they pretty much maxed out power on the 6.6 displacement and were probably going to have to go a little bigger on the next round.

Either way excellent news and I am glad to see that the new HD's and engines are on the way...GM has gained some ground in the HD market over the last 3 years or so, they need to keep things fresh and competitive to keep this up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.