GM Inside News Forum banner

2017 Chevrolet Bolt Spied - Can You Dig That?

5K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  briandors 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Looking like a bad trip, this heavily disguised Chevrolet Bolt was caught being put through its paces by an enterprising photographer. After debuting at the 2015 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the Bolt has had some drama regarding trademarking its name, but the dust has settled and Bolt is set to be a nice companion to the Volt.

SEMA's eNews reports that the Gamma-based Bolt, which should serve as the replacement for the Spark EV, will likely be built at the Orion Township, Michigan, plant that is home to the brother-from-another-mother Sonic.

Spy Shots—2017 Chevy Bolt EV
https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/201...email&utm_content=49835426&utm_campaign=eNews

The ’17 Chevrolet Bolt is the all-electric, high-roofed car previewed in January at the Detroit Auto Show alongside the redesigned ’16 Volt, and the second prong in GM's electrification strategy. The company claims the Bolt will have a 200-mile range and cost from $30,000 after tax credits.

Being underpinned on the Gamma platform, the Bolt is expected to be built at the Orion Township, Michigan, plant that also makes the Chevy Sonic. It will serve as a replacement for the Chevy Spark EV, which has been on sale in limited markets but will not be renewed as the redesigned Spark enters production.

Design changes from the concept version are expected to be minimal, and the family lineage from the Volt should be strong. The name "Bolt" also appears to be sticking, despite questionable responses from the media and even some within GM since the concept was shown in January, and even a trademark dispute last month.

Expect the Bolt, or whatever it's called, in showrooms late next year as a ’17 model.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think this is going to be a nice looking little car. What I want to really want to see is the inside because that is where it looked like the show car had the most to be altered for production status. I also wish these could come in at a lower price point without the gov't. help, but then again considering the nature of the product I guess that's not probable or possible.

#7 ·

Looking like a bad trip, this heavily disguised Chevrolet Bolt was caught being put through its paces by an enterprising photographer. After debuting at the 2015 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the Bolt has had some drama regarding trademarking its name, but the dust has settled and Bolt is set to be a nice companion to the Volt.

SEMA's eNews reports that the Gamma-based Bolt, which should serve as the replacement for the Spark EV, will likely be built at the Orion Township, Michigan, plant that is home to the brother-from-another-mother Sonic.

Spy Shots—2017 Chevy Bolt EV
https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/201...email&utm_content=49835426&utm_campaign=eNews

The ’17 Chevrolet Bolt is the all-electric, high-roofed car previewed in January at the Detroit Auto Show alongside the redesigned ’16 Volt, and the second prong in GM's electrification strategy. The company claims the Bolt will have a 200-mile range and cost from $30,000 after tax credits.

Being underpinned on the Gamma platform, the Bolt is expected to be built at the Orion Township, Michigan, plant that also makes the Chevy Sonic. It will serve as a replacement for the Chevy Spark EV, which has been on sale in limited markets but will not be renewed as the redesigned Spark enters production.

Design changes from the concept version are expected to be minimal, and the family lineage from the Volt should be strong. The name "Bolt" also appears to be sticking, despite questionable responses from the media and even some within GM since the concept was shown in January, and even a trademark dispute last month.

Expect the Bolt, or whatever it's called, in showrooms late next year as a ’17 model.
Too small too ugly too expensive too boring
Give me electric with Tesla performance and looks at that price and maybe I'll be interested,,probably not though since I finally have time to build my dream hot rod,,shouldn't cost me more then twenty Gs when done..and best of all its exempt from emissions tests..:p:

#9 ·
Not a fan of the shape. The tesla model three at 35 grand will unfortunately be a competitor.

Five grand more and supposedly a competitor of the BMW 3 series holds my interest a bit more especially if it has styling cues from the model S.

Reactions: RedSkyBlackDream
#17 ·
Unfortunately for GM, I think you are right. A car looking essentially like a baby Tesla for only about $5000 more would be a formidable competitor. I don't see how this could be the better choice. I sure hope GM is already and constantly at work on how to bring the price of this and the Volt down considerably as I believe that is the killer.

#18 ·
I have felt the push for extended range EV cars was a lost cause as it is the battery costs that keep EV and "plug in" cars out of the mainstream
the LEAF and the Prius IMHO have had success because they are CLOSE TO THE PRICE of an average sedan with out tax rebates or "trick" lease programs
this like the VOLT requiring the $7500 fed money (assuming you get it all AND CAN afford to finance the PRE rebate price) is still priced in with SUVS and LUX compacts

#24 ·
It is nice if a metro car has lots of glass for good vision, upright seating and short doors to aid entry and exit (helps the aging population), and short wheelbase for parking ease. I would definitely look at this car if I drove in big cities all the time. I like how the windshield extends to the roof which will help seeing stoplights above the car, like the ones strung on the cables. (People with a H3 understand a low overhang) Many EV people don't mind a "different" looking vehicle as many want to make a statement.

#30 ·
I'm with you. I saw the Bolt concept in Detroit with my own eyes and felt the lines and shape were excellent for what the car was: a BEV for city use and fairly short trips. Better than i3, better than next gen Volt.

The pictures here look terrible, proportions are all wrong. However there is a lot of camo going on so I will hold out hope.

#27 ·
Front air inlet appears to be too small for a combustion vehicle. And the next Sonic is quite a ways out (and the camo seems to heavy for an MCE).

My wife has a Sonic hatch and it's a great car. Very well packaged and great space for a sub-compact. The Bolt EV will definitely be on the radar as a Vehicle that could compliment a Volt in our driveway.

As for the Tesla Model 3. Tesla has yet to bring out a vehicle on time and at the promised price point. If they do I would consider it as well. But I'm not optimistic they can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.