3.8 series II supercharged upgrades

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3.8 series II supercharged upgrades

Walking
    Thanks

3.8 series II supercharged upgrades

Any of you guys modified yours? I am getting ready to install a 3.4 inch pulley. Also going to port the throttle body and maybe the supercharger too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 3.8 series II supercharged upgrades

I'm doing CAI sometime this summer - already have the cone filter ready to go in. I'm thinking about the 3.4 too. Make sure that you do the CAI, U-Bend bend delete, and maybe 180* t-stat before you put in the 3.4 though. If you don't, you could end up making less power than stock due to KR.
    Beyonf that, I think I actually might upgrade my front rotors before I do the pulley swap - the brakes are the GP's Achilles heel IMO. Anyway, good luck with your's and tell us how it comes out.

"The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 chev454ls's Avatar
    Thanks

As my car sits, I have a 3.4 pulley, CAI, 180* t-stat, one step colder plugs, u-bend delete, and DHP. I was at the track last summer and ran a best of 14.1 at 99.2 mph. If I could get traction, I would've been in the high 13's since my 60's were usually around 2.2 give or take. Hey Dave, I think the tranny is the GP's achilles heel. I've been lucky so far, but I know people who have been much less fortunate.
    '97 GTP
    '65 Impala Convertible

Thanks

Yes that is a good point about the tranny. Honestly, it's the one thing that's really keeping me from modding. I keep thinking, do I really want to take a car that's running perfectly and start messing with it? My tranny shifts great, but I want to start loading power on it when all I see on clubgp drivetrain forums are "tranny failure" posts?

Walking
    Thanks

You can rebuild the tranny with better clutches and housings. You definitely have to send some components for the freezing process. I cant think of the proper name right now but it works. Oh, cryogenics, thats it. What is CAI? I should know it but cant think of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottyz
    You can rebuild the tranny with better clutches and housings. You definitely have to send some components for the freezing process. I cant think of the proper name right now but it works. Oh, cryogenics, thats it. What is CAI? I should know it but cant think of it.
    Just cold air intake. I think I'm goonna just cut my stock airbox open and use some reflectix tape to seal everything off.
    The tranny can be strengthened, but it's already investing a bunch of money. I think I'm gonna do 180 t-stat, ubend, and 3.4 pulley and leave it at that for powertrain stuff. That, as Chevy454 noted, gets you to about a 14 second car. That's fast enough and not a whole lotta money to get there. Then I'm gonna work on suspension stuff.

Walking
    Thanks

Duh. I should have known that one.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    IS 350

I've had a 13.9 second GTP and I now have over 80,000 miles on the stock tranny. The tranny is actually not as bad as most people think. What happens is the differential is junk and when people do one wheel peels it heats up the differential and it starts coming apart sending shrapnel through the tranny. Then the tranny fails and everone thinks it's a week tranny. Then a new tranny is installed and the already trashed differential ruins another tranny.

Get a nice LSD and tranny cooler which can be had for $500 bucks and your tranny will most likely live a long life.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 chev454ls's Avatar
    Thanks

My '97 GTP has almost 98K and the tranny is still running strong (knock on wood).
    '97 GTP
    '65 Impala Convertible

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Smashing1's Avatar
    Thanks

I know this is a silly question, but does anyone know what we can do to to the motor w/o violating the warantee? I picked up an 05 Monte SS Supercharged about a month ago, and I tried asking the parts guy at the dealership what was and wasn't allowable. Like underdrive pullies, intake, ect..., and he just looked at me in a very clueless fashion. I am eager to squeeze more than the 240 horse outta my 3.8, and I am tryin to find out what I can do.

Walking
    Thanks

I'm modded. She moves a little
    3.4 pulley, FWI w/ 9 inch K&N, ZZP motor mounts,
    2.5 inch exhaust w/ flowmaster 40s, resonator delete, 9mm Taylor Wires, MSD coil packs = Waste, Autolite 104s, High Speed Fan Switch, Autometer Boost Gauge = 13-14 PSI, Custom Tuned PCM, 14.5 stock with a 2.2 60 ft.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smashing1
    I know this is a silly question, but does anyone know what we can do to to the motor w/o violating the warantee? I picked up an 05 Monte SS Supercharged about a month ago, and I tried asking the parts guy at the dealership what was and wasn't allowable. Like underdrive pullies, intake, ect..., and he just looked at me in a very clueless fashion. I am eager to squeeze more than the 240 horse outta my 3.8, and I am tryin to find out what I can do.

The only thing you can get away with is mabe a 180 t-stat and a CAI or a FWI (cold air intake or fender well intake) The main thing is if you do drop pulley sizes and what not they will void your warranty that is if they can prove it was the aftermarket part that caused the real issue. The most important thing you want to keep an eye on is Knock Retard. Go to www.CLUBGP.com. You will find unlimited information there or you can contact me. The 05 Impala SS has the series 2 motor in it rather than the series 3 like whats in my 04 GTP. There pros & cons about both, but IMHO i like the series 3 better. Built a lot stronger, but it doesnt matter both great motors. Go to www.pfyc.com and then hit up www.zzperformance.com.

Check out the Magnuson Act for the warranty issue. Make it look like you know something when they give you crap about mods.
    3.4 pulley, FWI w/ 9 inch K&N, ZZP motor mounts,
    2.5 inch exhaust w/ flowmaster 40s, resonator delete, 9mm Taylor Wires, MSD coil packs = Waste, Autolite 104s, High Speed Fan Switch, Autometer Boost Gauge = 13-14 PSI, Custom Tuned PCM, 14.5 stock with a 2.2 60 ft.

Walking
    Thanks

its like a drug to me. i keep saying just one more mod. well after my headers i guess ill have to get a intercooler.

2004 impala indy ss,tog headers,1.90 roller rockers,ls6 valve springs,intense 3.2 & 3.4 modular pullies , intense racing pcm,thrasher c.a.i.,intense shiftpack, zz performance high flow throttle body, 3/4'' tb spacer,zzp poly motor mounts,u-bend delete,resinator delete, magnaflow mufflers,autolite 103 racing plugs and 180* t-stat.

coming intense intercooler & 3.0 pulley

Walking
    Thanks

h.d. trans axles should be good for a high 12 second car. the most important thing you have to do while your playing is turn your traction control off. if you dont all the power will impulse and destroy your input shaft. the intense shift pak also helps. it makes the car shift faster.

2004 impala indy ss,tog headers,1.90 roller rockers,ls6 valve springs,intense 3.2 & 3.4 modular pullies , intense racing pcm,thrasher c.a.i.,intense shiftpack, zz performance high flow throttle body, 3/4'' tb spacer,zzp poly motor mounts,u-bend delete,resinator delete, magnaflow mufflers,autolite 103 racing plugs and 180* t-stat.

coming intense intercooler & 3.0 pulley

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfitter777
    h.d. trans axles should be good for a high 12 second car. the most important thing you have to do while your playing is turn your traction control off. if you dont all the power will impulse and destroy your input shaft. the intense shift pak also helps. it makes the car shift faster.
    That's a good tip! Thanks.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information