Record March market leaves Holden behind as Mitsubishi eyes fourth place

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Record March market leaves Holden behind as Mitsubishi eyes fourth place

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

GoAuto.com story

5 April 2017

By RON HAMMERTON

MITSUBISHI outsold both Holden and Ford for the second successive month in March to creep within striking distance of leapfrogging the one-time market leaders from sixth place to fourth in the year-to-date new-vehicle sales rankings, according to official VFACTS data released today.

While the overall Australian market hit a record March high of 105,410 units – up 0.9 per cent on the corresponding month last year – Holden’s sales dipped 13.7 per cent, to 7211 units, as the GM subsidiary makes the tough transition from local manufacturer to importer.
    Car Advice article

New vehicle sales in Australia grew a marginal 0.9 per cent in March — not enough to take 2017’s cumulative total ahead of last year’s record, but enough to set a new all-time monthly high-water mark.

VFACTS data released this morning shows that 105,410 new vehicles were sold last month, taking the yearly total to 279,345 (down 2.1 per cent).

For the second month in succession, SUVs were the most popular vehicle type with 39.4 per cent market share, compared to passenger cars that dropped five share points to 37 per cent. Light commercials made up 20.9 per cent of the market.

The five biggest-volume segments were small cars on 17.1 per cent share, medium SUVs on 16.5 per cent, 4×4 utes on 14.7 per cent, large SUVs on 12.2 per cent and small SUVs on 9.3 per cent.

2016-mazda-3-sp25-astina-hatch-auto-1

Top brands in March

The top-selling brand was Toyota with 19,652 sales, up 10 per cent thanks to strong months from staples such as the HiLux, LandCruiser, Corolla, Camry and RAV4.

The company headed off top full-importer Mazda on 10,472 (up about 2 per cent), with Hyundai (8700, down 10 per cent), Mitsubishi (a surprise fourth on 7583, up 16 per cent) and Holden (7211, down a further 14 per cent) rounding out the top five.

Next were Ford (6582, up 6 per cent), Nissan (5620, down 3 per cent), Volkswagen (5122, down 4 per cent), Subaru (5006, up 4 per cent) and Kia (4684, up a massive 39 per cent) making up the rest of the top 10.

Just missing were Mercedes-Benz (4008, up 7.5 per cent), Honda (3106, down 9 per cent), BMW (2220, down 16 per cent), Isuzu Ute (2074, down 17 per cent), Suzuki (1792, down 2 per cent), Land Rover (1580, up 2 per cent) and Audi (1508, down a sizeable 25 per cent).

Smaller-scale companies that saw good growth included Jaguar (301, up 10 per cent), Lexus (931, up 27 per cent and RAM (40, double its March 2016 result). Ferrari (up 86 per cent), Aston Martin (up 112.5 per cent) and McLaren (up 300 per cent) also excelled.

Smaller brands that struggled included Citroen (69, down 23 per cent), Fiat Professional (89, down 22 per cent), Foton Light (46, down 46.5 per cent), Jeep (852, down 25 per cent), Peugeot (214, down 44 per cent), and Volvo Car (369, down 30 per cent).
    Top 10 selling brands March 2017

Brand Sales Variance %
    Toyota 19,652 +10.1
    Mazda 10,472 +0.0
    Hyundai 8700 -10.3
    Mitsubishi 7583 +16.3
    Holden 7211 -13.7
    Ford 6852 +5.7
    Nissan 5620 -3.3
    Volkswagen 5122 -3.6
    Subaru 5006 +3.8
    Kia 4684 +39.2

Top 10 selling models March 2017
    Model Sales
    Toyota HiLux 4245
    Ford Ranger 3845
    Toyota Corolla 3574
    Mazda3 3039
    Mitsubishi Triton 2670
    Hyundai i30 2383
    Toyota Camry 2336
    Hyundai Tucson 2156
    Mazda CX-5 2116
    Holden Commodore 2081

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Record March market leaves Holden behind as Mitsubishi eyes fourth place

Which Car - Winners and Losers March 2017

Note that the Commodore even at tenth with restricted models is still Holden's biggest selling car. Colorado off the back of some incentives sold 1932 vehicles. No other vehicles cracked four figures. If the Hopel NG Commodore sells like the Mazda 6 and Mondeo at around 250 a month, Holden would be battling Nissan for seventh place.

Holden is just ahead of Mitsubishi ytd - but the last two months Mitsu has finished in front, and one more month will put them solidly in fourth. Ford had an unusually poor month, on recent form they might have beat out Holden for fifth.

Meanwhile, Mercedes sold 4220 cars, with the biggest increase to the C-class, and brands like Jaguar had large increases, too. Guess where the RWD buyers are going........

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BBDOS CV8 For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (04-09-2017)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

So apparently they buy Mitsubishi down under. No one does here, that's for sure.

I figured they'd have folded by now.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
    So apparently they buy Mitsubishi down under. No one does here, that's for sure.

I figured they'd have folded by now.
    Here's the thing: Mitsu is cheap and cheerful stuff in this market. But they have carved a solid niche - good all-in deals. Japanese-made stuff (except the same Thai ute manufacture as everyone else to take advantage of FTA), smartly-marketed and priced, well-equipped. Not aspirational - except to people who usually up til then bought second hand.

No wonder they're backfilling the bit of the market Holden is vacating. Solid value, not the best in any category but ticks boxes and known quantities. Holden meanwhile is going a bit split-personality - they don't know if they're marketing cut-price Captivas and Colorados to soccer mums and tradies or marketing connected cars to millennials. What has happened, is their trad buyers feel a bit left out.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 04-10-2017 at 02:08 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BBDOS CV8 For This Useful Post:

kts3502.0 (04-10-2017)

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Think their latest ad says it all. "Can I get a Holden that doesn't look like my dads". They bag their own vehicles in an ad. His dad might have had a HK Bathurst Monaro!

And we still have to put up with 3 year warranties when the same cars in overseas markets get 5 year warranties. They wonder why they are slipping.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ve2Thunder For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (04-12-2017),RedHotMike (04-10-2017),zetaman (04-24-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF SV6, GC8 WRX, Audi A3 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Ve2Thunder View Post
    Think their latest ad says it all. "Can I get a Holden that doesn't look like my dads". They bag their own vehicles in an ad. His dad might have had a HK Bathurst Monaro!

And we still have to put up with 3 year warranties when the same cars in overseas markets get 5 year warranties. They wonder why they are slipping.
    Yep - that ad has got right up my nose.
    Hidden Content
    2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2015 Audi A3 Attraction Cabriolet
    Black/black, Auto, Technik pack
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to isszy For This Useful Post:

kts3502.0 (04-10-2017)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by isszy View Post
    Yep - that ad has got right up my nose.
    I'm glad it's just not me that hates that line. My boys actually like my Holden. Pity it will probably be the last Holden we own.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AceRimmer For This Useful Post:

kts3502.0 (04-10-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 series Captiva LX diesel

the sales are going in the ****ter because they are not attracting any new buyers from other brands and are alienating the buyers that traditionally only ever bought Holdens so they are going to other brands it's all down hill from here, I'd said they would be lucky to be 10th after the factory closes and it looks like they wont be too far ahead of that.
    Look out I'm on twitter kts350
    Check out the new home for 3 on The Tree Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kts3502.0 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (04-10-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS /07 SRX (RHD)

Do they not know that a similar ad helped destroy Oldsmobile in the US? http://globalservants.org/connect/bl...ers-oldsmobile

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CadillacSA For This Useful Post:

AceRimmer (04-10-2017),admonite (04-17-2017),AusCalais (04-12-2017),V-Car (04-10-2017)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSA View Post
    Do they not know that a similar ad helped destroy Oldsmobile in the US? http://globalservants.org/connect/bl...ers-oldsmobile
    Brilliant! So they got some genius to dust off some old ads and think that if it didn't work last time in the US, maybe it will work this time in Oz?

I guess that is one way to speed up the closure of the Holden name and bring forward the introduction of Chev.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AceRimmer For This Useful Post:

hq308 (04-10-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,886 Times in 1,424 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Good to see Ranger pushing Hilux all the way, total sales up more than 5% compared to the
    same time last year tells me that Ford is already replacing lost Falcon and Territory sales.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

Oldsmobile stopped (04-10-2017)

Thanks

Have to agree 100%. Thought it was very odd when I heard that one.

Banned
    Thanks

If you subtract the Commodore sales, then the Scoobie brand will be just a few sales behind in the future.

I don't think Aussies will warm to any expensive overpriced FWD Opel crap boxes, PSA will pull the plug they will be sold as Opel's in the future Holdens, and Holden will be left with the South Korean junk, l think these ex Holden Commodore buyers will be off to BMW or Mercedes Benz or might buy a Hilux or Ranger or even a Mustang as the next new purchase...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Good to see Ranger pushing Hilux all the way, total sales up more than 5% compared to the
    same time last year tells me that Ford is already replacing lost Falcon and Territory sales.
    Ranger is No1 already stolen the Hilux crown No1 top spot in Europe, it looks like the Aussie designed Ranger is moving in for the kill on the Hilux in Australia as well just, 400 sales from the top sales position.

Your right JDP it is very good to see Ranger sitting back in the discounted Ford Falcon No2 spot, it will be nice to see it hit the Commodores old spot. Where's GM's Isuzu?
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 04-10-2017 at 06:56 AM.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC tripowergto Jan2003's Avatar
    Thanks

The true Commodore replacement??

2016 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 1LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information