GM Inside News Forum banner

Onslaught of global Holden products by 2020

12K views 87 replies 28 participants last post by  Old Salesman 
#1 ·
Onslaught of global Holden products by 2020
CarsGuide
by Joshua Dowling
9 October 2015

Holden is preparing 24 new models by 2020 as it replaces one of the oldest vehicle line-ups in the Australian car industry.

The ageing fleet was a side effect of parent General Motors halting development of new models in the grip of the Global Financial Crisis.

But now GM is back on track and spending big on new metal, the bulk of them due in 2017 and beyond.

Here is a list of the global cars Holden is planning for Australia in the lead up to and after the end of local manufacturing in 2017.

*Full Article at Link

#5 ·
I think only Enclave has a really fighting chance.

Reading between the lines it appears that the Colo 'ute' will be the two door they sell in Thailand? Currently AUS only has a flat bed two door.

At least OZ gets a two door.

Corvette's going to go over like a lead kite. AUS was right in there in creating the five passenger '60s 'supercar' - and four door supercar first too.

#17 ·
Yep, everyone calls them a Ute.

2 to 3 SUV's coming from the US I believe, across a number of different segments (mid-size, large and super large). They're also bringing in the Opel SUV.

The car that is getting kept very quiet at the moment is the MY16 update to the Captiva, which actually brings in a lot of changes. I've never seen any spy shots of it getting around, but apparently it is quite an update and they've finally updated the interior.

#19 · (Edited)
I have to say, I'm struggling to understand why the Corvette is coming, and not the Camaro. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining but it makes less business sense. The Camaro, as a $50K V8 coupe is going to sell maybe 1000 a year consistently. Similar to the Mustang, no surprise. But the Corvette - a base LT1 C7 would have to be a $100K car. It's going to sell miniscule numbers, maybe a 100 a year - I'm not saying that because I think there's anything wrong with it, it's crap or anything like that. Ferraris and the hi-po Porsches and SLK Mercs and similar sell double digits a year. They'd sell ten times the Camaros, easily. I could contemplate a Camaro as a leaser/daily driver as it has some utility in back seats, trunk etc; can't see the Corvette being that.

#25 ·
Unless GM is developing a RHD Corvette for Europe, developing a right hooker for our small market
is even more ludicrous than developing RHD Camaro for Europe and ROW.

I have never seen so much pipe dream garbage since GM announced Holden's closing,
it's as though Ford got the drop on them with Mustang in both development cost and
global market audience - GM simply cannot match that with Camaro or Corvette.

Better to leave Corvette to the private importer/converter and let buyers pay $150K.

#20 ·
Thing is Corvette is nothing like what Holden has sold before. It's a fantastic car for sure but I would imagine it would be completely out of reach price wise for Holden's core loyal buyers. Where as Camaro on the other hand looks like a perfect fit for a sporty halo model that if you tried really hard you could actually afford. I'd rather they use the time, energy and resources in making sure the other carlines are 100% where they should be. Well priced, well equipped and no dud boring looking base models. Leave Corvette to HSV or the RHD converters. Feel free to disagree.

#21 ·
That's the issue: and people don't 'buy' expensive cars new anymore, mostly, they lease them, and lease price is partly done on resale. The problem for the Corvette is, as a resale and longterm unknown, lease companies will hit it with penalties that will cause a disproportionately-high payment to lease a 'vette - if it's the same price as a car that costs double it's price retail, most people will pick the 'known' choice, be it Porsche, Jag R, M, AMG, Audi S or whatever. And the traditional Holden V8 buyer 1) the Vette may as well be a space ship 2) too many dollars 3) no tow or carry capability - where does the esky go? 4) no local race program - nothing to cheer at up the Mountain. A lot of people will tyre-kick at auto shows and go 'neat' and then walk off to the new Hilux podium.

I could be wrong, but America's everyman supercar may just be too foreign a concept. It's a rarified pool to start with.

#29 ·
Yes, either factory or converted pre-sale if it's via offical channels.
Converted pre-registration for private import, unless you have an engineering exemption like GMH. I don't think the Consulates get exemptions as all the cc plate cars I've seen seem to be RHD.

Reactions: paul8488
#24 ·
Camaro and Chevrolet/GMC light and medium duty trucks would do much better here than Corvette IMHO.

Ford F250 trucks that Ford imported from Brasil sold well and still command decent prices on the s/h market.

Does anyone know when the Ram trucks go on-sale here? Was supposed to be September, but has been delayed i believe.

#26 ·
They must have made a business case for it. I'm assuming the high transaction price on it, but relatively low build cost means a much greater margin for GM. It will probably be sold in the UK as well, so some of the RHD costs would be shared with Vauxhall.

I don't think it would cost GM that much more to build a Corvette over a Camaro (similar mechanicals), yet the asking price will probably be double. I would say sales would likely be in the 100's a year in Australia, plus minimal sales in Europe, but the transaction price will be $100k AUD plus. It makes much greater sense than the Volt did.

#27 · (Edited)
I think when the Commodore & UTE production ends, the Colorado pick-up will become GMs most important vehicle in Australia, as the Ranger made up the lions share of Fords sales in September nearly 45% of Fords sales were Rangers.

Aussie Holden Car Sales September
6. Commodore 2,348
13. Colorado pick-up truck 1,552
15. Cruze 1,516
29. Captiva 7 966
42. Captiva 5 753
62. Trax 424
63. Colorado 7 409
64. Barina 391
71. Commodore UTE 362
102. Odyssy 242
103. Caprice 239
143. Malibu 143
150 Astra 98
171. Cascada 64
181. Barina Spark 48
231. Insignia 13

What are the new Holden products they seem to have it pretty well covered in their line-up at the moment.

RHD light duty Silverado, Camaro & Corvette would be the icing on the cake.

#31 · (Edited)
If I were running Holden I would put everything into Colorado and Colorado 7.

I think the US style, or closer to it, would sell better. I would upgrade everything I could on it to get it close to best in class.

I would also say to GMHQ that I need the engineering resources allocated to offering a V8 and TTV6 in sport versions of it with optional height adjustable electro-hydraulic suspension.

And I would get a VF style weight reduction program started on it, swapping in alloy body panels and chassis/suspension components.

;)

#34 ·
Cashed up bogans will want it but won't be able to pay for anything above $85k. Those that are looking to spend $100+k will want it but go for the M2 which will be the safer bet with both the lease plan and their pseudo-corporate network of friends. A.K.A. Wankers.

There will always be those on the periphery of those two generalisations that will buy it, but......

#35 ·
There's a big update coming for Colorado/Colorado 7 next year, but I don't think we'll ever see Petrol motors.

Holden's future big volumes will come from Astra, Cruze, Colorado and Captiva. They're probably good for at least 6-7k units a month. The rest will be niche product, Next-gen Commodore included. There's a decent upgrade coming for Captiva in February next year. I think you'll be surprised when you see it. I think it looks great, plus picks up features that prospective buyers are chasing. Holden also says that the quality has greatly improved, but I'll believe that when I see it....

#36 ·
I would add the small block V8 and ttV6 but as dual fuel. You just have to look at the US to see there is a niche market for lowered high performance pickup trucks. I think some of the V8 Commodore boys who can't afford a Corvette could get their V8 freak-out from a good lowered crew cab pickup. And yes with some clever tuning they could be made to handle - at least be predictably chuckable with high levels of grip.

;)

#47 ·
Wow - an old fashioned car comparo like Modern Motor and Wheels used to do in the 70's and 80's :D

They actually looked at things that make a day-to-day difference instead of seeing which car photographs the best chucked into a corner at stupid speeds.

Nice work Car Advice !

#39 ·
I actually just ordered a New Colorado

Decision was two fold

Price

And i could fit in it

I would have liked to be in the position to wait till next years update but that was just not possible as the wifes Berlina is having problems so we needed to move quick

Hence one Colorado Ls-X on the way with tow pack Paint Protection and Window tint

#40 · (Edited)
I actually just ordered a New Colorado
Decision was two fold
Price
And i could fit in it
I would have liked to be in the position to wait till next years update but that was just not possible as the wifes Berlina is having problems so we needed to move quick
Hence one Colorado Ls-X on the way with tow pack Paint Protection and Window tint
I pick up a Z71 this arvo for a week so I will get to make up my own mind.
The LS-X is awesome value
The new drive aay pricing for the LS Trax must be working seen quite a few on the road lately where as before i hardly saw any.

#42 ·
I'm not a massive of the Z71 either price wise I think it's over priced, LTZ is 5K cheaper and looks way better value then the Z71.
Top of the range versions of the other trucks tested are more then the Colorado.

#43 ·
The LSX is great value and we're getting a lot of interest. The measley 750 units that are being built simply won't be enough to last maybe more than a few weeks.

The Z71 sold well at the start, but interest has dropped off completely. The LTZ is still the volume seller. If they could get the LTZ Auto 4x4 to be mid $40's religiously we well sell a shedload more.

In regards to Trax, I think it is finally starting to gain a bit of traction in the marketplace. It is the price leader in the segment now, except for maybe the Ecosport and it's not a bad car, it's just not exciting and looks cheap inside and out. Hopefully the MY17 coming next year adresses some of these bits.

The MY16 Captiva will be a surprise for everyone :)

#45 ·
They held them until 16th October. It's just so that most dealers get a car in the first week or so, otherwise there would be dealers howling who never got a car in the first batch (it's like school kid stuff). They didn't start advertising them until yesterday, so it ties in with that too.

#50 ·
The RRP on Colorado's, especially Z71, are an absolute joke. I don't think any dealer has gotten anything like $60k for a Z71. The very first month they were on sale we had the 'Fleet pricing for all promotion'. The Z71 had just been launched and the most we could sell an Auto for was under $51k drive away (and that's in WA with our ridiculous stamp duty rates).

It's just a styling package with leather trim (if you can even call it leather. I think it comes from Chinese buffalo or something :) ). Over in WA we call it Balga leather (replace this with whichever battler area you have in your state).

They should be like $3k more than an LTZ, which is roughly all we've been getting for them.

#52 ·
The RRP on Colorado's, especially Z71, are an absolute joke. I don't think any dealer has gotten anything like $60k for a Z71. The very first month they were on sale we had the 'Fleet pricing for all promotion'. The Z71 had just been launched and the most we could sell an Auto for was under $51k drive away (and that's in WA with our ridiculous stamp duty rates).

It's just a styling package with leather trim (if you can even call it leather. I think it comes from Chinese buffalo or something :) ). Over in WA we call it Balga leather (replace this with whichever battler area you have in your state).
They should be like $3k more than an LTZ, which is roughly all we've been getting for them.
Was thinking this morning on the way to work that it felt like dodgy vinyl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.