Money-spinner: Holden could export next Cruze

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Money-spinner: Holden could export next Cruze

Australian Editor Premium Member JoeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Holden Monaro CV8

Money-spinner: Holden could export next Cruze

Holden could export next Cruze

Marton Pettendy
    20 November 2012
    www.carpoint.com.au

GM Holden could be in line for a lucrative deal to export its next-generation Cruze to a range of populous Asian nations following news that the next-generation small car will not be produced in Korea.

General Motors’ global small car was first imported to Australia from South Korea in 2009, two years before domestic production began in Adelaide in 2011, following a $149 million federal government grant.

Now, in what would be a reversal of roles, Australia could supply Korea with the second-generation Cruze, which is expected to emerge in 2014 and will be produced by Holden from 2015.

A GM Korea spokesman confirmed to Reuters that the new Cruze would not be produced in South Korea, fuelling speculation that GM might shift Cruze assembly to Europe, where GM is in financial trouble and struggling to keep its factories open.

GM’s Gunsan plant currently produces the Cruze for both South Korea and Europe. Apart from Australia, the first-generation Cruze is also produced in the US, Brazil, Russia, India and China, plus Thailand, Vietnam and Kazakhstan.

GM is yet to officially reveal where it will produce the new Cruze, but Holden has confirmed it will do so and, according to Reuters, GM Korea chief Sergio Rocha recently told the company’s union the new model would be built in five regions, including the US, Europe and China.

Holden told motoring.com.au it was premature to speculate on the possibility of Cruze exports to Korea until GM had confirmed which factories would produce the next model.

“It’s too early to say,” said GM Holden External Communications Director, Craig Cheetham. “It depends primarily on other production sites, which are to be confirmed.”

Last year Holden sold a total of 33,784 examples of the Cruze, local production of which commenced in March but continues to include many Korean-sourced parts, in addition to 49,000 Commodore-based vehicles.

Although it remains Australia's third most popular small car, to October this year Cruze sales are down 12 per cent to 25,142, while sales of Commodore-based models have slumped by almost a third to 33,600.

That means sales of Australian-built models have slipped by almost 30 per cent to less than 59,000 so far this year. Meantime, Korea currently produces up to 150,000 examples of the Cruze annually.

Holden has committed to producing two vehicles on two global architectures at its Elizabeth plant until at least 2022, but has not confirmed the second model line it will produce alongside the MkII Cruze when next year’s upgraded VF Commodore is retired around 2018.

However, it says both models need to be top-ten sales performers to be viable and, as we’ve reported, it’s now almost certain the second model will be an SUV based on the all-new D2XX platform, which GM has confirmed will replace both the Delta II and Theta platforms that underpin the existing Cruze and Captiva respectively.

Although it continues to export the current Caprice-based Chevrolet PPV police vehicle to the US in small numbers and will also export the VF Commodore to North America as the 2014 Chevy SS, Holden has always said the viability of its Australian-made models is not dependent on exports.

GM recently restated its commitment to its European operations, including the Opel and Vauxhall brands, but is desperate to end 12 consecutive years of financial losses by 2015 by cutting costs and increasing efficiency in Europe.

Late last year GM CEO Dan Akerson suggested that moving some GM production from Asia to Europe would help the company’s European operations.

Click here to continue article

Follow GMInsideNews and myself on Twitter
    Join GMInsideNews on Facebook today!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 VEII SV6 "Chlorophyll"

Re: Money-spinner: Holden could export next Cruze

Good luck guys, but I think the export deal is a long way from certain.
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.
    [I]plus[I] U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6

Keep Holden On.

St George Illawarra, Mudgee Dragons

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Premium Member v8vzssz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden vz ssz 6 sp manual

Why people buy these ridiculous SUV's is beyond me. They are expensive, ugly, incompetent as a 4WD and yet pathetic as a family car. They also are more uneconomical to run compared to most large sized cars like the commodore, falcon, camry...

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

D2XX??? When is that gonna hit the streets?
    I didn't go to math school, so I'm not going to do the math.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by v8vzssz View Post
    Why people buy these ridiculous SUV's is beyond me. They are expensive, ugly, incompetent as a 4WD and yet pathetic as a family car. They also are more uneconomical to run compared to most large sized cars like the commodore, falcon, camry...
    Maybe do to the fact they fit the familys lifestyle.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by georgewerr View Post
    Maybe do to the fact they fit the familys lifestyle.
    minivans and crossovers fit the majority of lifestyles - most SUV owners don't go off-roading or pull anything of significant weight (or more weight than a CUV could pull).

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

UAW needs to wake up and bid for this Cruze export work. Use the Sonic business model, keep jobs here.

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    I'm walkin'!

Our export viability is pretty ordinary. The high Aussie dollar is killing most opportunities especially when the product is less than premium.

If there is a lower cost vehicle (built in Thailand for example) to take the place of the Cruze in the ASEAN market, then MAYBE there is potential for Elizabeth to produce a Cruze model aimed at the premium market.

But that would effect the chance of growth for Opel and I don't believe that is something GMIO want to chance.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Follow me on TWITTER!!
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! LoflytKULTURE

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    UAW needs to wake up and bid for this Cruze export work. Use the Sonic business model, keep jobs here.
    You are not keeping jobs in this instance they were never in the US. You do have to keep the governments of other countries happy as they do provide subsidies.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden series 2 LX Captiva

Quote Originally Posted by v8vzssz View Post
    More ground clearence was one of the big things that swayed our decission to buy a Captiva something you can't get on a sportwagon which we were thinking of buying as well. Oh and the diesel Capy is way more cheaper to run then the 3.0L V6 Sportwagon as we had a Berlina Sportwagon as a loan car for 2 weeks and it used way more then what our Captiva uses doing the same trips. Plus I'm not scared to take the Captiva camping.
    Now if Holden still made an Adventra it would have been a no brainer.
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree www.kts350.com

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by kts350 View Post
    More ground clearence was one of the big things that swayed our decission to buy a Captiva something you can't get on a sportwagon which we were thinking of buying as well. Oh and the diesel Capy is way more cheaper to run then the 3.0L V6 Sportwagon as we had a Berlina Sportwagon as a loan car for 2 weeks and it used way more then what our Captiva uses doing the same trips. Plus I'm not scared to take the Captiva camping.
    Now if Holden still made an Adventra it would have been a no brainer.
    Exactly the same for me

Another reason is not so much the room but access

I'm a pretty big guy and allthough i feel comfortable in my wifes Berlina once i get in there i bash my head every time i get into it now
    She’s got four a colour, four a clear
    She’s lookin’ better year by year
    And unlike you tonight she’s riding low

So baby its goodbye
    You could never get me high
    Like when I light the nitro on my
    HQ454 Monroe

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden series 2 LX Captiva

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Exactly the same for me

Another reason is not so much the room but access

I'm a pretty big guy and allthough i feel comfortable in my wifes Berlina once i get in there i bash my head every time i get into it now
    I forgot the access I've had bad knees and ankles for ages, I'm still getting over my latest knee injury been in a brace since june it is very hard getting out of a normal car specially right now(our 2nd car is an astra) the Captiva I just step out and climb in, no lower myself in or grabbing the door frame to pull myself out like I do in the Astra and other peoples cars.
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree www.kts350.com

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    Australian standards are the same as the rest of the world where as US market cars are different including the Cruze and makes it far harder to make an American car and a World car then it would be to make the world version in a world version market as unlike Korea / Japan which are importing into the HUGE US market the US would be EXPORTING out to much smaller world markets

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information