Likely halts to Holden production as manufacturing jobs shrink

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Likely halts to Holden production as manufacturing jobs shrink

Australian Editor Premium Member JoeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Holden Monaro CV8

Likely halts to Holden production as manufacturing jobs shrink

Likely halts to factory production as manufacturing jobs shrink

Stephen Drill
    7 January 2013
    www.dailytelegraph.com.au

Holden workers are preparing for factory shutdowns amid a slowdown in Commodore sales, as 24,000 Victorian manufacturing jobs were lost since August.

The car maker is expected to halt production for several days in the first half of the year, as buyers hold off in the lead-up to the release of the new Commodore.

And construction industry leaders warned there would be major job losses in the commercial building sector this year, while residential builders were cutting costs to keep staff on.

New Federal Government figures show Victoria's manufacturing sector shrunk to 283,800 jobs in December, down from 308,200 in August that the State Government was spruiking.

Holden slashed 370 jobs last year and the latest sales figures show that Commodore slipped to fourth on the list of sellers this year, after its 15-year reign at the top ended in 2011.

Australian Manufacturing Workers Union vehicle division secretary Dave Smith said he hoped that the new Commodore model would be popular and save jobs.

"Part of Holden's problem is that they are seeing a buyers' strike ahead of the new model, which is always pretty tough," he said.

"I think you will see down time. I suspect there will be shorter hours up until the launch of the new car.

"At some stage or another, if things don't turn around they will have to make decisions about down balancing (job cuts)."

Australian Workers Union federal secretary Paul Howes said more manufacturing jobs would go this year, as Australia's high dollar made our exports more expensive and imported goods cheaper.

Click here to continue article

Follow GMInsideNews and myself on Twitter
    Join GMInsideNews on Facebook today!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Re: Likely halts to Holden production as manufacturing jobs shrink

The people should buy less import brands and buy more holdens.

Patriotism is a great thing.

I never understand why people prefer to buy foreign products when they could just purchase home grown brands and support their own economy.

The unions should do national advertising to promote holdens as a way to keep jobs in the country.

(kidding) but it's a novel idea.

Buy an Aussie brand and the job you save may be your own.

I go out of my way to make my first and second largest purchases from my home country...

He'll Koreans do it everyday...

It's called national pride and besides holdens rock!

Thanks
    My Ride
    04 GTO 09 G8GT & 15 MustangGT?

Maybe if GM would offer the Ute and Sportwagon here along with the upcoming Chevy SS sedan, it could retain some of those lost workers.

2015 Mustang GT TY A6 (ON ORDER!)
    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: Neanderthal LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post

I never understand why people prefer to buy foreign products when they could just purchase home grown brands and support their own economy.

The unions should do national advertising to promote holdens as a way to keep jobs in the country.

I go out of my way to make my first and second largest purchases from my home country...

Most advanced civilized countries do it besides the US. Japan, Germany, South Korea, etc. The US's demographics have changes drastically in the last 30/40 years. Which can't be said for the other countries mentioned.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joemac View Post
    Most advanced civilized countries do it besides the US. Japan, Germany, South Korea, etc. The US's demographics have changes drastically in the last 30/40 years. Which can't be said for the other countries mentioned.
    Define demographics for your statement.
    Areas I've lived in over the last 10yrs have not been affected by immigration in large percentages. Most import owners I've come across are multi-generational Americans. The media for decades now has been beating up on the american worker and the sheeple are in Wal-mart mentality mode where cheaper is better. Regardless of quality.

Right now I'm researching tires for my ride.
    I will be buying tires made in a domestic tire plant by USW people.
    http://www.boilermakers.org/resource...ion_made_tires
    Supporting my dad who is a retired USW boiler maker.
    Went to several stores listening to sales people who said all front load washing machines are made over seas. Bought our Bosch from Menards that was made in USA!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit Orange View Post
    Maybe if GM would offer the Ute and Sportwagon here along with the upcoming Chevy SS sedan, it could retain some of those lost workers.

Thanks
    My Ride
    04 GTO 09 G8GT & 15 MustangGT?

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    You are now of the ignore list. Enjoy.

2015 Mustang GT TY A6 (ON ORDER!)
    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: Neanderthal LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lowboy View Post
    Define demographics for your statement.
    Demographics:

Percentage of ethic groups of total population (history/current/projected trend)
    Percentage of immigration (legal and illegal - history/current/projected trend)
    Assimilate American versus Citizen American (history/current/projected trend)
    Growth of country population through birth versus immigration (history/current/projected trend)

There's whole host of indicators and demographic information available, not indicated here, that really tell the tail.

Rolled into the economic indicators, opportunity, positive outlook of our country (history/current/projected trend) tells the story.

Your buying consideration around product sourcing is a stark minority and not trending positive across the population of the country unfortunately. Validation not only from the US, but here in the case cited from Australia. The Australian demographics have also changed significantly when viewing history, current, and projected trends. Simple analysis validates. Countries that have not gone through these swings are countries of which have invested in their people, their values, and and their way of life of which maintained.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joemac View Post
    There's whole host of indicators and demographic information available, not indicated here, that really tell the tail.
    Very true, one thing I was pointing out is areas that haven't changed much are falling into the cheaper=better trap. Then they complain about no jobs.

Your buying consideration around product sourcing is a stark minority and not trending positive across the population of the country unfortunately.
    That I do realize, even my shoes are mostly New Balance because at least the models I choose are "assembled" in the USA. I'll buy Canadian made right up there with US products.
    Just recently spent more on wiper blades than I wanted but they were made in Belgium rather than the normal Chinese parts. Needed a hose clamp, Autozone has Chinese parts while Pep-boys has USA made for the same price.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

If you do a simple search you will see the US is getting ready to undergo a huge change in demographics. No longer is the European causcasion going to be the dominant race. So what is considered "American" is going to be redefined as these new ethnic groups grow. They will all have different buying tastes. Asians, Hispanics, African Americans, Indians etc are all going to have large population groups in the US. That has been reflected in the past couple of elections. Some political parties have picked up on that more than others.

I agree many multi-generational American's now buy foreign and have for some time. US manufacturers drove that decision process many years ago when then sold American's POS's for products. It's called the free market. It appears Australia is going through the same thing. I like to buy American when I can and have bought only GM products since 1990 but I own a "import" , a Pontiac G8 GXP. It is the second Holden product I have owned. I can't say it's made any better than a US car because it has some interior issues and my 2005 GTO had other nagging issues as well. However, they are good products and they offered something that no other GM product did in my price range and wants, a RWD, V8, manual trans, car.

So I am thinking Holden needs to gear up for the changing Australian tastes as well as Foreign competition otherwise sales and job will continue to dwindle.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 SV6 Manual, Impulse Blue

The thing I notice here is that no one seems to be Patriotic or have Aussie pride unless it suits them ie Australia day coming up January 26. Even then the public Holiday will be held on the Monday the 28th even though it falls on the Saturday prior.
    I try to buy local product wherever I can. If I have to buy imported I am very particular especially now more than ever. However when it comes to car stuff for my Holden I will import from NA more than anywhere else ie I am waiting for a nice set of Brakes that I can get cheaper from your side of the world for my project car which happens to be a VS Commodore. the engine comes out on Australia day too with local Coopers beer in hand to make the job easier and pay my mate who is helping me
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    If you do a simple search you will see the US is getting ready to undergo a huge change in demographics.
    The movie "Idiocracy" sums it pretty well.

in modern society, natural selection is indifferent toward intelligence, with the result that in the future, stupid people (who reproduce more often) will greatly outnumber the intelligent.
    Last edited by Lowboy; 01-06-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks

"down balancing". I've never heard such a positive sounding phrase for job cuts - almost sounds strategic.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FG Falcon Utility

Quote Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
    "down balancing". I've never heard such a positive sounding phrase for job cuts - almost sounds strategic.
    Down balancing is way more than job cuts, it's the re balancing of the entire production process at every level.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    US manufacturers drove that decision process many years ago when then sold American's POS's for products. It's called the free market. It appears Australia is going through the same thing.
    Difference is in the auto industry, free trade isn't often free. It usually comes with a cost, many times of which isn't spoken or understood by the general public.

In the case with Japanese automotive manufacturers the automotive trade wasn't reciprocal or fair trade. Japan automotive manufacturers enjoyed considerable monetary subsidies on vehicles imported to the US for well over a decade, the range indicated was $2k to $15k per vehicle.

If the US dollar was positioned to support manufacturing export, a considerable amount of built in profit as the Japanese enjoyed for over a decade, Ford, Chrysler, and GM could have done considerably better with product execution than what played out.

Media, with an agenda, likes to portray this as simply crappy American companies with crappy products. When in fact they US manufacturers did quite well with the monetary playing field that was presented to them and even with a number of offerings Japanese companies even with all their financial blissfulness couldn't beat US auto manufacturers. US manufacturers got killed on volume right down the middle cars as with the USD/Yen subsidies in place they couldn't make any money, nor had the dollars to reinvest like the Japanese manufacturers.

Australia's strong currency comparatively to other currencies has caused them much of the same issues the US experienced over the last 20 or so years.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information