Holden Readies Astra Lineup for Astra Sedan

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holden Readies Astra Lineup for Astra Sedan

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

Holden Readies Astra Lineup for Astra Sedan

Holden Readies Lineup for Astra Sedan

10 January 2017

Mick McWilliams
    Australia Correspondent
    GMInsidenews.com

Holden has released images of the all new Holden Astra sedan ready to join the line up as early as May. The Astra sedan "born in Germany and manufactured in Korea" has benefitted from "design and engineering input from Australia".

Quote Originally Posted by GM Holden
    Utilising the same Delta 2 architecture as the Astra hatch (with GM Europe’s Russelsheim HQ as the homeroom), Astra sedan is a great example of Holden’s ability to handpick the best vehicles for Australia from the GM global portfolio, being the only brand to offer both the Opel-based hatch variant and Chevrolet-based sedan variant in its line-up.

Holden’s Director – Planning and Program Management, Marinos Panayiotou, said Holden is leveraging GM’s global product portfolio and, with Astra sedan, customers have a vehicle that effortlessly blends functionality and comfort, with more than a touch of luxury.

“Last year, Holden committed to launching 24 new products by 2020, and Astra sedan represents the thirteenth of those, joining Astra hatch and Astra coupe to continue building a world-class small car range,” said Mr. Panayiotou.

“Astra sedan is a truly global vehicle, developed in Europe, manufactured in Korea and finished with design elements and significant engineering input from Holden.

“Astra’s luxurious interior is complemented by advanced driver and connectivity technology in addition to progressive exterior styling which, when you add to the hatch variant, gives Holden a strong line-up in the small-car segment.”

Based on the US-designed, Chevrolet Cruze, Holden’s Astra sedan boasts key local input to give this global vehicle a uniquely Australian flavour to appeal to Australian customers.

LOCAL INPUT KEY TO ASTRA SEDAN IDENTITY

Designed in North America, Astra sedan also received bespoke styling treatment from the renowned GM Australia design team, with a sophisticated front grille and fascia to give the Astra range a more cohesive appearance.

“Sharing the same architecture as the Astra hatch, the new Astra Sedan assumes a rational, sophisticated persona to expand on the appeal of the sports styled hatch,” said Mr. Ferlazzo.

“Our Australian designers have styled a unique Holden face with exclusive new front fascia and grille, closely aligning with the next generation Commodore to give a more cohesive look to not Astra, but to the wider Holden product range.”

Astra sedan also benefits from in-depth local engineering carried out at Holden’s Lang Lang proving ground to ensure it exhibits the refinement and composure displayed by its sibling, Astra hatch.

Holden’s Executive Director – Sales, Peter Keley, said Astra sedan grows Holden’s small-car line-up whilst the move would also simplify Holden’s small-car strategy.

This announcement comes directly after Caradvice.com.au revealed a reduction in pricing for the Astra hatch range, which is yet to leap out of the sales blocks despite good looks and a decent level of features.

Quote Originally Posted by Caradvice.com.au
    Holden has today announced that it will cut between $250 and $1700 from the price of the Holden Astra, only a month after the brand launched the new model in Australia.

Speaking with media at the Detroit motor show, Holden chairman and managing director, Mark Bernhard, said that the decision was driven by customers.

“The feedback we’ve had from dealers and customer enquiries, we’re taking the opportunity to realign where the pricing is,” Bernhard said.

“Part of that will be a price rollback different by trim level relative to the competitive set between $250 and $1700. It now makes it the most compelling vehicle in the small car segment with this pricing.”
    LINK

This lines Holdens small car strategy up with the competition, with Ford sourcing their entry Focus models from Thailand and the up spec version from Germany. Likewise, Volkswagen gets the Golf from Germany and the less impressive (and less expressive) Jetta from Mexico. Even this years (technical) small car winner, Toyota, gets the Corolla sedan from Thailand and the Corolla hatch from Japan.

The actual small car winner in the Australian market was Hyundai i30 and Elantra, which are both sourced from South Korea. Perhaps they missed bragging rights because of a different badge, but the i30 also holds the record for the biggest single month of sales.

Essentially the Astra is a Cruze sedan with a euro face, and the more affordable source point will allow better margin, and potentially more features to improve competitiveness in the segment. Could we see the Astra consistently in the top ten this year?

Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

Re: Holden Readies Astra Lineup for Astra Sedan

Also, yes the Astra is doing 100 kph at 4000 rpm (in third no doubt but hard to tell in an auto) with no one at the wheel! Not sure how it's going to miss those trees.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-10-2017),GolfBravo (01-10-2017),Holdlion (01-12-2017),kmacleod (01-11-2017),kts3502.0 (01-10-2017),sfbreh (01-10-2017)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Here's my beef with the new 'Astra' sedan.

Holden have been actively working the Chevrolet design language with their small cars. Spark, Barina and Trax are all working the large lower intake (as is the Commodore sports, Captiva and Colorado). The Astra hatch didn't have that option so they went the OPC line body kit.

But here, Holden have been given the option to give the sedan a bespoke look and they've chosen a bumper that is a blend of the standard Opel Astra and the new Commodore.

I genuinely don't know what Holden is trying to achieve with their corporate look anymore.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by from_oz View Post
    But here, Holden have been given the option to give the sedan a bespoke look and they've chosen a bumper that is a blend of the standard Opel Astra and the new Commodore.
    Nope. Holden have been given the option to redesign the front grille insert, this isn't a 100% Holden-unique front facia.

With the current sales volume Holden have f/all say. They can pick their colours, trims, options, and then they can indicate how many they are likely to sell.

Holden now are no different to any other local importer.
    Last edited by GolfBravo; 01-10-2017 at 02:58 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GolfBravo For This Useful Post:

Holdlion (01-12-2017),hq308 (01-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,097 Times in 784 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Should have just called it what it is

A Cruze
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-10-2017),GolfBravo (01-10-2017),jalberda (01-10-2017),kmacleod (01-11-2017),mikmak (01-10-2017),RedSkyBlackDream (01-12-2017),steve333 (01-10-2017),t-rexx (01-10-2017)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    Nope. Holden have been given the option to redesign the front grille insert, this isn't a 100% Holden-unique front facia.

With the current sales volume Holden have f/all say. They can pick their colours, trims, options, and then they can indicate how many they are likely to sell.

Holden now are no different to any other local importer.
    Who else is using it? I've not seen it before. Unless it's heading to Europe as a small sedan option??

Holden are clearly able to pick the bumper design as they did with the Astra hatch if there are options available. But these choices don't appear to have much consistency at this point.

The skew to the Opel design language makes me wonder why they didn't go with the Karl and Mokka X?? I mean they both come out of the same Korean factory as the Spark and Trax don't they?
    Last edited by from_oz; 01-10-2017 at 04:05 AM.

Thanks

Who else is using it? I've not seen it before.
    You need to wait.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

You need to wait.
    Tease. I mean the design is pure Euro GM. Particularly around the lower intakes. That's where my bets will lay.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,268 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

You need to wait.
    Waiting - for Mexican-built Cruze hatchback to replace Astra hatchback for Holden?

Or a post-Brexit UK-Australia trade deal and get RHD Astra hatch from the UK.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Waiting - for Mexican-built Cruze hatchback to replace Astra hatchback for Holden?

Or a post-Brexit UK-Australia trade deal and get RHD Astra hatch from the UK.
    I hear Holden will start taking some Astras from Vauxhall shortly, apparently they are not doing very well at the moment and had to shut down one of their UK plants for extra 2 weeks over the Christmas break.

But long term, I think Australian subsidiaries are more likely to import "British" cars from China than from the UK.

Thanks

Tease. I mean the design is pure Euro GM. Particularly around the lower intakes. That's where my bets will lay.
    Is the current Astra Euro only? Is it being sold anywhere else?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,268 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

I hear Holden will start taking some Astras from Vauxhall shortly, apparently they are not doing very well at the moment and had to shut down one of their UK plants for extra 2 weeks over the Christmas break.

But long term, I think Australian subsidiaries are more likely to import "British" cars from China than from the UK.
    Astra isn't doing well in Europe generally compared to Focus - and the general switch to CUV/SUV where Opel/Vauxhall is weak and the premium sector where GM doesn't even compete in Europe.

JLR increased sales globally by 13%, aided by a 26% rise in Europe, 25% in North America and 31% in China.

My crystal ball still says that Ellesmere Port will be building Rover cars one day

Good luck with Landwing for Australia !!!
    Last edited by Ruperts Trooper; 01-10-2017 at 05:02 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

jalberda (01-10-2017)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Is the current Astra Euro only? Is it being sold anywhere else?
    Oh really. But don't they already have the Verano? Is this a saturate the market strategy?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 600 Posts

Why copy the boring Cruze?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 series Captiva LX diesel

So what I am seeing here is the Chevy Cruze with a different front end, which means you have Holden spruking a European built hatch and now they are going to be selling a sedan under the same badge that is made in Korea and based on a U.S. model which will have different specs to the hatch and maybe no 1.6L turbo as the U.S. Cruze doesn't get it.
    The press release was brilliant "Astra sedan born in Germany, manufactured in Korea with design and engineering input from Australia" then goes onto say "Based on the US-designed, Chevrolet Cruze".
    Look out I'm on twitter kts350
    Check out the new home for 3 on The Tree Hidden Content

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information