GM Inside News Forum banner

Holden gets green light from Detroit: Commodore with supercharged Corvette Power

7K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  BBDOS CV8 
#1 ·
Holden gets green light from Detroit to build $165,000 Commodore with supercharged Corvette power
News.com.au
Joshua Dowling
MAY 27, 2016

TALK about going out with a bang!

Holden will build a Commodore with more power than a Lamborghini as a high octane farewell present before the Adelaide production line falls silent next year.

The fastest and most powerful Commodore ever made will also be the most expensive, expected to cost in excess of $165,000 — almost twice the price of the dearest model on sale today.

It will be the last V8 sedan made locally, and the most powerful vehicle produced in more than 100 years of Australian car manufacturing.

Holden declined to comment on “future model plans”, however News Corp Australia can exclusively reveal General Motors in Detroit has finally given the green light to build a Commodore powered by the supercharged “LS9” V8 from the Corvette ZR1.
*Full Article at Link

See less See more
#12 ·
not bad, But I'd rather see global RHD CTS-V. Yeah I know, global and Cadillac don't go well in one sentence, not for GM.

#16 · (Edited)
Actually, it'll possibly have more power than the old Corvette Z06 - HSV as a practice installs tubular headers. The only engines in recent history they didn't for was the LS2 in the VZ 2005 HSVs.

They also do their own engine mapping, as they accept warranty from GMPT. The engine in my car was factory-rated 245Kw or 333hp from Holden. With headers, a less restrictive airbox and 2.5" exhaust, 285Kw or 385hp with no changes to hardware. The LS3 in HSVs is up to 340Kw/455hp with the bimodal exhaust or 317/425hp without. Holden used GM rating of 415 for the Chevrolet SS through log headers.

The W427 was rated about 10hp more than the vette with the LS7. It was probably more than that: Holden and HSV rate their engines in ECE, not SAE. That requires peak power figures are the mean of the max readings over 20 minutes, which gradually fall due to increasing heat and friction. Hence the W427 if dyno'd to SAE standards was probably in the 530-540hp range.

You're only talking about 150 cars, apparently, based on engine availability from GMPT. I don't know the market will absorb more than that, anyway. At 160 grand it's well and truly starting to encroach on AMG and M-series territory - poor value on depreciation. The W427 never achieved it's numbers because there were insufficient takers. HSV had LS7, LSA and LS9 engined cars driving around years ago.

#23 ·
When people realize that this is really the end and that this is the last chance
to grab a truly unique high performance HSV, those 250 cars will sell out
in short time.

I'm interested to see how Holden manages the next 12-18 months to
the end of production, the product mix is now rich with lots of V8 cars.
I could imagine that there will be special cars for customers at varying
price points in the $50K - $100K zone so no one will miss out in getting
a nice piece of history.

#39 ·
Performance build center in Wixom closed. When they closed the prices dropped on the crate engines and they were not being built in Bowling Green when I was there as few months back.

It's also not mentioned in the last GM performance catalogue I saw. With the price drop ( the original price included the self build option) I don't they are still offering that package.

#35 ·
The car is for Australia. It's Australian dollars, and what the CTS-V costs in the USA utterly meaningless, You can't buy a CTS-V here, or any Cadillac, or Corvette (not from GM anyway, and modern right-hook converted SS Camaros cost $100k plus). The nearest competitors are an M3 or a C63, and guess what? both cost around $165k, and they don't have the fanatic fanbase Holden has. You can wax lyrical about it being over priced all you want, but obviously you don't have a clue about the market the car is being sold in.

#33 ·
This car is about the end of an era and about nostalgia etc. It is not about what can be done better or what better options are out there. This is one of the reasons that no one else on the globe will see this car. I say great job ending the car with all guns blazing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.