Holden EOY Media Drive Event: Cruze Wagon

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holden EOY Media Drive Event: Cruze Wagon

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Holden EOY Media Drive Event: Cruze Wagon

Definitely a looker. Possibly the most cohesively-styled variant.

Holden Cruze Wagon
    Mark Cadle
    BBDOS cv8
    10 December 2012

The least-standout car at the Holden End of Year Media Drive Event was unexpected: don't get me wrong, the Cruze Wagon is a fine piece of kit. It takes the hatch's space behind the back seats from 315 litres to 500 - only a dozen shy of larger wagons - and retains all the standard Cruze virtues: generous rear seat room, maximum safety rating, safe and solid handling, combined with one of the quietest and smoothest rides in the class. Plus, with park assist and lots of standard gear with the streaming/iPod version of Bluetooth with voice recognition, it's well-equipped in either version.

It's just that, the Barina CDX was suprisingly good and not just for Mylink, and the auto Barina Spark nearly stole the show (not quite, but it's competence and enjoyability was a very pleasant surprise to the general media contingent). So the wagon was least-discussed. Wagons aren't sexy (except to MikMak) even if practical so it tended to be ignored a little.

The wagon costs $2000 on top of the price of the auto hatch or sedan, and the only deficit I can think of is the lack of an SRi or -V version; largely due to Korean origin. If it is true that Bupyeong will not be making Cruze in future, it opens a whole new opportunity for Australia to supply export Cruzes of all variants to the Asia-Pacific region.

Wagon (above) and hatch (below) - wagon doesn't quite have as much room seats-up as hatch seats-down, just seems so. Low, wide, flat load area is welcome - and enormous for a small car.

It seems curious that the base CD comes with either the base 1.8 petrol or diesel and auto only, whereas the upspec CDX has only the 1.8 available, but that is apparently how they are ordered. There is no other reason not to offer the diesel and it may happen. It depends on volume. The CDX sedan originally didn't have oilers, either.

With the wagon, you can take passengers and gear

The newly-remapped trans does a good job of hiding the torque deficit of the 1.8 and it motors along acceptably if not with scintillating performance. The diesel, like in the hatch, is A Good Thing and the pick as a driver's vehicle. Even so, on the open road I found even with the 1.8 that on any flat the speed would creep up, so cruise control is handy to keep your licence! The aero must be good.

A lot depends on volumes; if it proves to be more than 10% of the total take, I would expect the wagon range to grow and production possibly to come onshore. There appears no penalty to owning it, as in theory it is heavier but you'd have to line up a sedan or hatch to notice a performance difference. To drive, it feels almost identical.

You get a sensation of a larger chasm behind your seat - but no more noise or boominess, even empty. Otherwise, the handling is equally balanced and the extra weight of the rear produces if anything a more even weight distribution. With extra people in the car it doesn't detriorate, either.

So it may not have been the talk of the town at the drive event, but I am sure many people will be a taking a close look at the various versions, and it will be interesting to see where the model mix goes from here.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 12-10-2012 at 07:19 AM.
    • Barbados Series III CV8 'VT Coupe'
    • 245kW LS1
    • T56 six-speed manual
    • GTO PBR 320mm brakes/DBA 4000 vented discs
    • HSV GTO Wheels

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Re: Holden EOY Media Drive Event: Cruze Wagon

I like the looks of it. Though I think in NA a hatch would be a better seller. I really wish they would put the 2.0T in the Cruse and make an SS!

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

A Cruze wagon with the diesel engine in the US would be a very popular niche filler for Chevy.

Too bad that the popular wisdom is that Americans don't buy wagons.
    Current Driveway Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel
    2013 Sonic LTZ HB
    2008 Colorado CrewCab Z71 2WD
    2011 Cruze LT2 RS (college duty in Florida)
    2003 Porsche Boxster S (sunny days and track events)
    April 2012 to May 2014 - Chevy Volt - 3 tanks of gas in 12.2K miles. Traded for Cruze Diesel for new commute

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

To my eyes the Cruze is just not an attractive car....here's hoping the TRU 140 forecasts the next-gen Cruze!

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Malibu

GM - "Americans don't want coupes, hatches, wagons, diesels or vans." Ok, not in so many words but by their actions isn't this what we hear from the General?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

That 1.8L engine is worthless. GM needs to ditch it ASAP. It never should have been in this car to begin with.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

What percentage of purchases in Australia are 5 doors, meaning hatches and wagons. I only ask because I want to know how is it possible to justify the cost of tooling and product development in their market and not at least bring it to our market?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gdvalente View Post
    GM - Ok, not in so many words but by their actions isn't this what we hear from the General?
    Agreed! Truth be told, "Americans don't want CRAPPY coupes, hatches, wagons, diesels or vans." Unfortunately, that's exactly what GM gave us. When they did it right, they failed to keep it up to date and let it hang on far too long unchanged so that it became old, dated, and uncompetitive. Why is it that the Asians and Europeans can continue to sell in America minivans, midsize coupes, and diesel powered passenger vehicles? Because they do it right and continue to do it right. That's why you see Siennas, Odysseys, Routans, TDI Passats and Golfs, Accord coupes, Altima coupes, etc. Yet look at the last iterations of comparable models from GM and you'll see laughable attempts at competing in those segments. Get serious, GM!
    Buy American. Buy Ford. So say we all!

Thanks

It's a shame we are not offered the wagon variant in the States. This is a vehicle that I would actually BUY - not say I want offered in the US, but slap down my hard earned Dollars. The previous posts really hit it on the mark - Americans don't want bad wagons, but deliver something like the Cruze and GM could change some minds. Now a diesel wagon - why should VW have all the fun? Come on GM, carve out a niche!!

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Stuff the 2.5 liter and sell this here. I can see all those HHR folks trading up. Their little wagons are now clocking over 100,000.00 miles , plus, you could also add a diesel and take some business from Jetta TDi?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Grandsport

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    I like the looks of it. Though I think in NA a hatch would be a better seller. I really wish they would put the 2.0T in the Cruse and make an SS!
    No SS just a high performance version. Call it something other than SS.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Grandsport

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    That 1.8L engine is worthless. GM needs to ditch it ASAP. It never should have been in this car to begin with.
    At least no in the state of tune that it is in. It should be direct injection with at least 90 HP per Lither.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Grandsport

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    At least no in the state of tune that it is in. It should be direct injection with at least 90 HP per Lither.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firefox View Post
    No SS just a high performance version. Call it something other than SS.
    Why? people are just getting silly over names. The Cobalt SS was a great car.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Quote Originally Posted by Parlay84 View Post
    What percentage of purchases in Australia are 5 doors, meaning hatches and wagons. I only ask because I want to know how is it possible to justify the cost of tooling and product development in their market and not at least bring it to our market?
    Hatches are most of the market: proportions would probably be 50/40/10 hatch, sedan and wagon where such an option exists, give or take a few %. Corolla, Astra, Focus, Lancer, VW, Hyundai, Kia and otheres have all offered small wagons at one time or another or still do. Baby SUVs have somewhat taken that market, but there's still demand from more sensible people and a small wagon is usually less expensive to buy and run.

As far as the 1.8, a revised version is coming and it should bring the base models up to par with the opposition. Considering the base 3 still uses the old 2.0, all Corollas the ancient 1.8 combined with a crap CVT, Focus a scurvy 1.6 and VW the Polo's 1.2T the 1.8 doesn't looks so bad. It drives OK in the wagon and most owners would be happy with it. Especially with a $180 service cost.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information