Holden to cull Commodore range

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holden to cull Commodore range

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Hyundai Santa Fe.

Holden to cull Commodore range

Holden to cull Commodore range words - Bruce Newton

Model lines to go as Holden searches for improved VF Commodore quality

GM Holden will pare back the model range of the 2013 VF Commodore as it seeks to improve the build quality of its locally manufactured large car.

The models disappearing seem certain to come from the entry-level end of the range, where Omega, Berlina and Calais are crowding into a smaller sales space.

Exactly how the VF range structured may not become apparent until May, when it goes on sale, although it is expected that some details and the look of the substantial midlife facelift will be revealed in March.

Holden’s US export version, the Chevrolet SS, will break cover even sooner, firstly as a NASCAR racer in the next few days.

GM Holden Managing Director Mike Devereux said there were would be no culling of performance models, as sales have held up well even as Commodore sales have slid in recent years, dipping 26.6 per cent in 2012 alone.

“I think if you look at the retail sales of Commodore over the last 10 years even as …. more fleet buyers have moved to smaller engines and that kind of stuff, what has been interesting to note over that time period has been the steadiness and then the increasing sales at retail of the sports model.

“The stability of that volume is what gives us great hop for that segment... we do have bright spots in the equation.”

Mr Devereux said it was only necessary to study the market and see that Commodore entry-level models were where the adjustments would come.

“You guys probably know what you would do if you were in our shoes just in terms of cleaning up the range and we will do some of that as we launch the car.”

Mr Devereux said that cutting Commodore models would not improve profitability significantly but would assist quality because it would lower complexity at the Elizabeth assembly plant, where 55 different variations (between Commodore and Cruze) are currently produced.

“The fewer things the folks have to build the generally easier it is to build cars, and we would be in deep trouble if we didn’t have such a good workforce in Adelaide because it is one of the more complex assembly operations we have in GM with so many different variants coming down the line.

“Cost-wise, different variants isn’t a massive cost reduction. (It’s) Likely we will do some reworking of our model range for VF but it won’t be for cost reasons.”

Mr Devereux, who has now had several hours behind the wheel of pre-production VFs on different surfaces at the Lang Lang proving ground, unsurprisingly praised the improvements in the car over the seven-year-old VE.

“It is a significant upgrade. The car moves in textiles and materials … significantly upmarket. It is a very different feeling car to drive, which is wonderful. The upgrades are significant, it moves extremely upscale in its feel.

“The car feels a lot nimbler on its feet and the fuel economy numbers are great – world-class. The car feels quite different; it’s still a great driver’s car.”

Mr Devereux reaffirmed the VF, which introduces various fuel economy initiatives including lighter weight and better aerodynamics, will have a fuel economy figure that starts in the 8.0L/100km range.

However, he stopped shy of predicting a sales boost for Commodore on the back of VF.

“You guys (media) and the customers that buy the cars will have a lot to say about that. The vehicle will be a significant upgrade over what we have today in a number of ways. It has no excuses to make for anything.

“Will we sell more of them? We hope we do, but the market continues to fragment, people continue to flock to SUVs … so we are engineering a world-class car. The dealers in the USA have seen the Chevy SS and they are rapt with the vehicle.

“I am sure it will be sold out in the USA.”

However, Mr Devereux said it was “unlikely” that the Chevy SS will sell in larger numbers in the USA than the Commodore range will sell in Australia.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2012...re-range-33842

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Re: Holden to cull Commodore range

A lower price point with better fuel economy and higher performance is what needs to happen. If VE were such a good deal, it would have continued to sell well

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Hyundai Santa Fe.

A RRP of $39,990 for the Omega is way too much. At that price, there are far more attractively priced and better equipped cars around.
    Last edited by AceRimmer; 11-27-2012 at 06:58 PM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 V-Car's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
    A RRP of $39,990 for the Omega is way too much. At that price, there are far more attractively priced and better equipped cars around.
    Especially when they an ship a Caprice to the US, for circa $30k.

RRP in Australia for Caprice is over $60k.

Whatever happened to anti dumping laws?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Hyundai Santa Fe.

Once the VF is released it will be interesting to see how long it takes for the price to drop from the MRRP to drive away deals they've been doing recently.

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    I'm walkin'!

I was going to question the 3.0 but if economy is starting in the 8.0L/100km range, it's got either stop start or smaller capacity. I think the plateauing of the sport models is a good indication of the preference for the 3.6, as SV6s are the cheapest way into the larger capacity.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Follow me on TWITTER!!
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! LoflytKULTURE

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by V-Car View Post
    Especially when they an ship a Caprice to the US, for circa $30k.
    Keep in mind the US Caprice is super-stripped. It's huge car outfitted like a 90s Tercel.

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    I'm walkin'!

^^^Yup, PPVs have Omega interior and I believe vinyl floors even?
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Follow me on TWITTER!!
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! LoflytKULTURE

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden Ute, 73 Caprice Convert

RRP is irrelevant, no one pays full price for a Commodore.

Thanks

The SS is going to break cover when.....?
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Chevy Ryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY View Post
    The SS is going to break cover when.....?
    The race car version will be revealed in Las Vegas at 9:00 am Pacific Time on Thursday, Nov. 29.
    Ryan

My current ride: 2009 Silverado 1500

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vcs2600 View Post
    Keep in mind the US Caprice is super-stripped. It's huge car outfitted like a 90s Tercel.
    The extra pieces in the local Caprice do not come anywhere near $35k! More like $5k (if that) to Holden.

I can see US Caprice buyers bringing in wrecked Buick Park Avenues from China for the interiors.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

You can't compare prices accross continents it's irrelevant

What is however is that this was on the cards years ago that Omega would dissapear

If Omega goes and the range starts at around SV6 Level then Berlina would go also

Interesting also that they can claim 8.0 l/100kays if the range drops the 3.0?

Also interesting that the only reason people buy the SV6 is that no one can buy an Omega as it's pretty much fleet only and you can get an SV6 for 36 grand drive away right now and 39 grand drive away in normal sales months

It could be a very good car at the end of the day but i think people will still stay away Commodores sales glory days are behind her
    She’s got four a colour, four a clear
    She’s lookin’ better year by year
    And unlike you tonight she’s riding low

So baby its goodbye
    You could never get me high
    Like when I light the nitro on my
    HQ454 Monroe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post

What is however is that this was on the cards years ago that Omega would dissapear
    True, Omega will be going to make way for variants of the Malibu, which is a more popular size now like Camry.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by V-Car View Post
    True, Omega will be going to make way for variants of the Malibu, which is a more popular size now like Camry.

Yep i hope the Korean Spec Malibu is a better match with Aus buyers than the US spec Malibu seems to be having dramas with

As long as Quality is there i think it will be ok just price it under Camry (which shouldnt be too hard given its an import vs a local)
    She’s got four a colour, four a clear
    She’s lookin’ better year by year
    And unlike you tonight she’s riding low

So baby its goodbye
    You could never get me high
    Like when I light the nitro on my
    HQ454 Monroe

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information