Holden Colorado 7 roadtest.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holden Colorado 7 roadtest.

Thanks

Holden Colorado 7 roadtest.

Holden Colorado 7 review.
    By Daniel DeGasperi | November 27th, 2012
    CarAdvice.com.au

Pros: An SUV capable of going off road; towing ability; spacious and practical with generous third row legroom; relatively fuel efficient
    Cons: Poor cabin quality; engine refinement lacking; lifeless steering; lacks the refined driving manners of car-based SUVs

Our Rating: 3 stars out of 5

A decade after the demise of the Jackaroo, the Holden Colorado 7 arrives to (finally) fill mud-encrusted boots in the full-sized, seven-seat SUV segment.

Although competitors these days have a ‘relaxed’ view of off-roading, the Colorado 7 remains true to the roots of its long-buried predecessor. It is a proper bush basher, with a separate chassis, limited slip differential, and dual-range gearbox with switchable four-wheel-drive system (2WD, 4-High, 4-Low), all unsurprisingly borrowed from its Colorado ute sibling.

While the double wishbone front suspension is also shared, the wagon-backed version of the Holden Colorado replaces the rear leaf springs of the tray-backed variant with coil springs to control the live beam axle.
    Available in two specification levels – the $46,990 LT, and $50,490 LTZ – utilising a single 132kW/470Nm 2.8-litre turbo-diesel four-cylinder and six-speed automatic drivetrain, the Holden Colorado 7 will compete with the Mitsubishi Challenger and Nissan Pathfinder – old Jackaroo foes – rather than the Ford Territory and Toyota Kluger.

The entry LT gets 16-inch alloys, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, cruise control, reversing camera and Bluetooth connectivity, while the flagship LTZ adds 18s, leather trim, single-zone climate control and eight-speaker audio.

According to Holden’s executive director of sales and marketing, Phillip Brook, the Colorado 7 will appeal to “grey nomads” and rural folk more than urban dwellers looking for a school-run chariot. Brook expects a “few hundred” sales per month; the Challenger has averaged 208 sales per month to October, compared with 227 Pathfinders.

Continued here

Holden Colorado 7 First Drive
    www.drive.com.au
    Stephen Ottley

Holden has put a boot and two extra seats on its Colorado ute, but it still drives like a workhorse.

Does a ute with a boot and two more seats qualify as a suitable family SUV?

Looking ahead from the driver's seat of the new Colorado 7 it's hard to notice much difference immediately. The engine and gearbox are the same 2.8-litre turbo diesel and six-speed auto as in the Colorado, and it feels the same.

The engine is not significantly quieter or more refined, either, with a loud diesel drone infiltrating the cabin, but it does do a reasonable job hauling the big car along.

The standard auto is a pretty smooth unit and certainly makes the Colorado 7 a more family-friendly proposition.

There is only one major mechanical difference (at least under the skin) between the ute and the SUV Colorado, and that's the rear suspension. Instead of the leaf springs used in the ute, the 7 gets a multi-link live rear axle to make it more urban-friendly, but still capable of going off-road and towing 3000kg.

Based on our initial drive in and around Melbourne, it's fair to say the new suspension has improved the ride, but not enough to make it as comfortable as the class-leading soft-roaders.

The suspension tends to jitter over bumps and can take a long time to settle after a big bump.

The flipside of that rougher road-ride is the better capability off-road. Holden is pitching the Colorado 7 as a serious off-road machine to distance it from the existing, urban-focused Captiva 7. With standard equipment including four-wheel drive, low range, a limited slip differential and hill descent control, it certainly ticks some key off-roader boxes.

But the biggest change between the ute and the 7 is the interior, which now includes seven seats and a boot.

Continued here

Colorado 7 - Short test
    www.carsguide.com.au

Craig Duff road tests and reviews the Holden Colorado 7 with specs, fuel economy and verdict.

Holden has finally gotten serious about the large SUV market. After years of watching its rivals migrate buyers out of big sedans and into even bigger off-roaders, the Red Lion has launched a proper four-wheel drive of its own.

The Colorado 7 is based on the Colorado pick-up, meaning a ladder-on-frame chassis and four-wheel drive with a transfer case for work far off the beaten track. So it’s tough.

TECHNOLOGY
    A reversing camera with overlaid guidelines on the rear-view mirror is standard on both the LT and LTZ models, as is Bluetooth and USB connectivity and cruise control. A six-speaker stereo system is capable but not class-leading.
    The LTZ picks up another pair of speakers, climate-control airconditioning and highlights like chrome accents and leather seat trim. The direct-injection turbodiesel engine is a robust performer without being the most refined donk in this field. It is matched to a six-speed auto - that’s an extra cog over its rivals - but uses marginally more fuel at a claimed 9.4 litres/100km.

Continued here

Last edited by from oz; 11-28-2012 at 01:59 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Re: Holden Colorado 7 roadtest.

Mark Reuss and Dan, When you are done with your poison, would you please please sell this truck to us?

Thanks

The side profile (specifically the area around the upper c-pillar) completely destroys the look of this vehicle. It reminds me of the Nissan Armada (another ugly vehicle).

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in T.O. View Post
    The side profile (specifically the area around the upper c-pillar) completely destroys the look of this vehicle. It reminds me of the Nissan Armada (another ugly vehicle).
    I will take BOF with ugly instead of a cute FWD pig.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

3 out of 5 stars -- and I think he's generous when I read what he wrote. Not a good review for the "new" GM.

I'm not liking the recent last year trend in GM on their new products. It's clear the Bob Lutz era is over.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    I will take Body on Frame as well ( I currently drive a 2007 Tahoe) Previously drove a 2002 Trailblazer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    I will take Body on Frame as well ( I currently drive a 2007 Tahoe) Previously drove a 2002 Trailblazer.

Thanks

So it's alright to sell a few hundred/month in Australia but not a few thousand/month here
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

This vehicle belongs in America, where we love our off-road and on-road SUVs. Large, capable, usually macho, bold, and can carry a shyteload of people and cargo. I'd really like this to arrive in the US sooner rather than later, and with 2.0T, 3.6TT, and 5.3 eAssist, giving us the first mid-size SUV that will average 30 mpg highway or more, and 0-60 under 7 seconds on the other end.
    GM, improve the design, give us better engines, and GET it out by end of 2013!!!!!!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 V-Car's Avatar
    Thanks

That IMHO is one butt ugly car!

Looks like the front, centre and rear were designed on three different planets.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Would you hate it as much if it didn't have an American name? It should have an Australian name like Jackaroo

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 V-Car's Avatar
    Thanks

I couldnt care less what they call it.
    A turd with lipstick is still a turd, be it a Chevrolet or a Holden.
    Almost makes the Ssangyong Stavic look good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    Would you hate it as much if it didn't have an American name? It should have an Australian name like Jackaroo
    it needs a Roo Bar
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    I'm walkin'!

It looks like Holden has lined this up to be a Cow cocky's whip and considering it's price advantage, it should sell reasonably well.

That's not an excuse for poor cabin quality but you can't get something for nothing. I expect to see one with gigantic wheels by the end of the year (stay tuned to my instgram account for the first sighting )
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Follow me on TWITTER!!
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! LoflytKULTURE

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    I'm walkin'!

Forgot: as for the mismatched LCD/ LED elements in the dash, that's not cool.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Follow me on TWITTER!!
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! LoflytKULTURE

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information