Holden Announces Export Deal to North America

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holden Announces Export Deal to North America

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    I'm walkin'!

Holden Announces Export Deal to North America

NEW HOLDEN EXPORT PROGRAM BOUND FOR DAYTONA

Finally, after endless threads, hopes, dreams and non-believers, BELIEVE IT. RWD Aussie muscle (with a heartbeat from America) is once again heading across the pacific. If you're not excited, see a doctor.

This is all great news for Rear Wheel Drive Chevrolet fans of course, but even more so for Holden. With a very unfavourable relationship between the Australian and US Dollars, many doubted that any export deals would be possible. Although Ex-Holden Boss and now GM Vice President and President, North America, did try to establish the longevity of Holden to be less reliant on export sales, it is fair to say that even the reported limited volumes of the Chevrolet SS will be a welcome addition to the production schedule.

Beyond bringing some Rear Wheel Drive excitement back the Chevrolet Sedans in North America, the VF Commodore on which it will be based, should provide revitalisation to the large car market in Australia through improved fuel economy. The use of unspecified lightweight materials are rumoured to reduce weight by anywhere upto 100kgs. This will represent the first drop in weight for a large Holden since the changeover from Kingswood to Commodore way back in 1978.

If you haven't been to your Chevrolet dealer with your check book yet, I would recommend you head there right now. By time the Chevrolet SS hits Daytona, the first allocation will likely be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Press Release
    Holden has announced a new export program, confirming today that Commodore will return to North America in late 2013 as the new Chevrolet SS performance sedan.

The limited production derivative of the yet to be launched VF Commodore will arrive in North American showrooms late next year. It will be the first time in 17 years that Chevrolet will offer a rear-wheel-drive sedan for sale in the US. The SS will also become Chevrolet’s next NASCAR Sprint Cup racecar debuting next year in its race configuration at the world renowned Daytona 500.

Based on the much anticipated Australian-built car, the Chevrolet SS will benefit from significant technology advances including innovations in light weighting and fuel efficiency.

Mark Reuss, GM President of North America said as a passionate race fan and performance enthusiast he was thrilled with today’s announcement. “I am delighted to say that Chevrolet will deliver a true rear-wheel-drive NASCAR racecar in the SS that very closely links the performance sedan that will be available for sale,” Reuss said. “The Chevrolet SS is a great example of how GM is able to leverage its global product portfolio to deliver a unique performance experience that extends well beyond the track and I am personally looking forward to driving it.”

GM Holden’s Executive Director of Engineering Greg Tyus, said Chevrolet and its customers would benefit from Holden’s proven expertise in developing and manufacturing rear wheel drive vehicles. “Holden has a great track record of producing performance cars for GM and the world,” Mr
    Tyus said.

"We were responsible for the design and engineering of the Chevrolet Camaro, VECommodore was sold as the Pontiac G8 and we are currently exporting the Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle - so we understand the needs of the North American market."

Mr Tyus highlighted that although exporting in the current economic environment was difficult, Holden vehicle exports were up 54 per cent last year compared to 2010. "Today's announcement shows that we can, and will, continue to pursue targeted, profitable export programs that add value to Holden and GM.

“We continue to export our engineering and design capability around the GM world and we have significant vehicle export programs to the Middle East, New Zealand and North America. “I’m incredibly proud of the talent we have here at Holden to design, engineer and build performance vehicles that appeal to both local and overseas markets and the new VF Commodore will be no different.

“Our expertise in this arena is second to none and highlights the flexibility of Holden’s Elizabeth manufacturing operations. It's great to have secured this new export program that will continue to support our plant." The Minister for Industry and Innovation Greg Combet said Holden had again demonstrated
    to the world the quality of Australian technological innovation, and the design and engineering skills of our manufacturing workforce.

“In what are challenging times for many manufacturing businesses, Holden is designing and making products wanted in markets across the world,” Mr Combet said. “This achievement shows what Australian manufacturers can do and is possible because of the co-investment support of the Australian Government through our $5.4 billion New Car Plan.”
    Read GMInsidenews coverage from the Chevrolet end HERE: Chevy Confirms What We Already Knew, 2014 SS Sedan Coming

Last edited by mikmak; 05-17-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Follow me on TWITTER!!
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! LoflytKULTURE

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Holden Announces Export Deal to North America

YES! it should have been a chevy in the first place....
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

Thanks
    My Ride
    04 GTO 09 G8GT & 15 MustangGT?

Shouldn't this thread be merged?

2015 Mustang GT TY A6 (ON ORDER!)
    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: Neanderthal LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC G8Montana's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Pontiac G8GT 2009 Pacific Sl.

I hope it stays "Chevy" priced, other than that I don't care what brand name it comes in under. Sucks that V8 performance is no longer offered much n blue collar pricing like the G8 was......considering in AU it cost almost twice of what we paid for the G8 series under Pontiac.
    New Aug-08 with 3 miles on ticker: 2009 Pontiac G8GT 54k miles
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 218k miles

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Hallelujah it's finally officially official! Now all they need to do is change up that name. Even I as an Aussie can see it is stupid to give the car a name which has historically been a trim level not a standalone vehicle.
    Then again this is all good news for Aussie manufacturing and for Holden. Go Holden!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Aussie "muscle" is stretching it (quite) a bit. How about Aussie performance sedan using American muscle?

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    I'm walkin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit Orange View Post
    Shouldn't this thread be merged?
    The Front page news is directly related to the Chevrolet vehicle. This thread is aimed at, and adds new information relating to, the export business and its impact on Holden.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me
    Aussie "muscle" is stretching it (quite) a bit. How about Aussie performance sedan using American muscle?
    You'll just have to wait for details, but I'll amend it just for you.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Follow me on TWITTER!!
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! LoflytKULTURE

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Thanks!
    I'm sure Oz is as happy about this announcement as Americans are. It's a win-win for performance car enthusiasts.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC jaywestfall's Avatar
    Thanks

Holden mates! Thanks for sharing, again!!
    Member of The: I will never buy a Japanese car in my life Club
    Join our new grassroots Pontiac Resurrection Discussion @ http://www.resurrectpontiac.com/

1.8 Liter ECOTEC pontiacfan1972's Avatar
    Thanks

Will Canada be getting this model? We would gladly trade for the Orlando lol

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC WWI Flying Ace's Avatar
    Thanks

Hoooooooooooooooooooooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
    2007 Jeep Commander
    2001 Buick Century
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX

“I never wonder to see men wicked, but I often wonder to see them not ashamed.”
    -Jonathan Swift

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS

I have a question - why is the high Australian dollar such a problem for exporting into the US? We hear the same here in Canada that our dollars is now worth more than the US one thus exports suffer.

Why are the Japanese able to make cars on the other side of the world and sell them for profit here?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 MisterMe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Pontiac G8/2009/White

Quote Originally Posted by We 2 R 1 View Post

Why are the Japanese able to make cars on the other side of the world and sell them for profit here?
    You make a huge assumption that may not be true. Japan, Inc. operates on a very different business model than North America, Inc. It is common for Japan companies to subsidize their exports with domestic sales. Exports keep the factories operating at full capacity, but they may not be required to earn a profit. In this case, the Japanese home market provides the profit.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Yyyeeeeessssss!!!!! NOW WHERE'S MY UTE!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by We 2 R 1 View Post
    I have a question - why is the high Australian dollar such a problem for exporting into the US? We hear the same here in Canada that our dollars is now worth more than the US one thus exports suffer.

Because the supplier base to those AUS-made cars is pretty AUS-exclusive. Which means that it's built for AUS car market volumes. Which means that economies of scale aren't as good because there's less scale or production to spread development, tooling, and marketing costs over.

These costs were offset by a weaker AUS dollar. But now that the AUS dollar is quite strong compared to the US dollar, the higher supply costs are no longer being offset.
    Peace,

Autoplaybook

Wouldn't You Really Rather Have A Buick?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information