Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

  1. #1
    GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    17,628
    Thanks
    915
    Thanked 624 Times in 475 Posts
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

    Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    New products to help Holden maintain third place on sales charts

    19 June 2017

    By DANIEL DeGASPERI

    GoAuto.Com.au


    HOLDEN has banked on this year’s fresh product onslaught to help it cling to fourth position on the brand-sales charts, despite the impending effects of October’s factory shut-down, as well as Ford and Mitsubishi closing in on its numbers.

    Five years ago Holden was second only to Toyota for annual brand sales, recording 114,665 sales in 2012. It was overtaken by Mazda in 2015 and then Hyundai in 2016 as sales slumped to 94,308 units last year, while the top three brands continued to post six-figure tallies.

    According to sales data to the end of May 2017, Holden’s 32,840-unit haul has fallen by another 10.4 per cent year-to-date, remaining behind Hyundai (37,568 and down 10.7 per cent), and with Ford (31,582 and down 0.7 per cent) and Mitsubishi (30,407 and up 6.5 per cent) hounding at its heels.

    Meanwhile the Australian offshoot of General Motors (GM) has after three years replaced its executive director of sales Peter Keley with Michael Filazzola, who spoke with GoAuto about plans to turn the sales tide around at the national media launch of the Astra sedan in Byron Bay this week.

    Asked where the 21-year Holden veteran would be happy with the brand finishing in 2017, Mr Filazzola was clear: “We want to be in the top four.”

    “My drive is to ensure we actually don’t finish fifth, sixth, or seventh. We’ve got to keep the leadership within Hyundai, Mazda and Toyota. We have to keep it in that segment, I think, and that is where I’m aiming towards.”

    Much more at the LINK

    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

    Hidden Content

    Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    17,628
    Thanks
    915
    Thanked 624 Times in 475 Posts
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

    Re: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    So the rest of the market survives without a Commodore. What does Holden need to add, to survive without theirs?



    ...first one to say "customers" gets the smart ass award and a poke in the eye.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

    Hidden Content

    Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

  4. #3
    Chevrolet VOLT VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wagga NSW
    Posts
    10,527
    Thanks
    384
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 829 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

    Re: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    They need product

    Their range without Commodore is pretty dismal

    Colorado is getting there but needs a better engine , When you read that GM isnt going to replace it(the Colorado) till 2022 it doesnt give me a lot of confidence in teh brand considering I will be up for a new one in around 2020 I'm not going to buy the same vehicle I already have , this is what lost them Commodore sales

    Astra is a nice car - but they have screwed the sales mix and you need to be upsold to a near 30k model to get a decent engine - too much money for a small car

    The micro cars are decent and if I was in that market I'd consider one

    They desperately need decent SUV/CUV's

    The Captiva is pension age , however if they think they can suddenly charge full price for its replacement they're kidding themselves. They tried this with Astra initially and it didnt work

    Wont work for Commodore replacement either I fear as you can get decent cars from the opposition for less cash , a common complaint about Commodore from some , but they havent factored in that COmmodore is half a class bigger and is a better car IMO that 6 , Camry ect ect

    So

    Basically it's a bloody long hard journey back and in the short term Holden is ****ed
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

    I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

    kts3502.0 (06-19-2017),richmond2000 (06-20-2017)

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The land of the hethan
    Posts
    7,731
    Thanks
    821
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,429 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

    Re: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    I sense that Holden is trying to fix everything at once with a barrage of new product,
    they're throwing heaps of product at the market in the hopes that some or all will stick.

    That to me is not a plan, it wreaks of just trying to sell anything instead of asking,
    who are our actual buyers and what is it that they want compared to our competitors.

    The question is how Holden entices those buyers to choose its product over the competition,
    I'm actualy hoping that Holden sees more leverage in SUVs of all sizes - Arcadia is interesting...

  8. #5
    GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    17,628
    Thanks
    915
    Thanked 624 Times in 475 Posts
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

    Re: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

    Hidden Content

    Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

  9. #6
    GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    17,628
    Thanks
    915
    Thanked 624 Times in 475 Posts
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

    Re: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    I sense that Holden is trying to fix everything at once with a barrage of new product,
    they're throwing heaps of product at the market in the hopes that some or all will stick.

    That to me is not a plan, it wreaks of just trying to sell anything instead of asking,
    who are our actual buyers and what is it that they want compared to our competitors.

    The question is how Holden entices those buyers to choose its product over the competition,
    I'm actualy hoping that Holden sees more leverage in SUVs of all sizes - Arcadia is interesting...
    If you stand back and look at the new product from Astra going forward, it does look moderately cohesive (even though the Astra sedan doesn't look as fancy as the hatch or wagon). The entire small car lineup....er... lines up. From Spark to Trax and the 3 Astras, the Holden lot will look like a family again, even though it will be missing it's favourite son. I think Equinox will slot in just fine. We need to see the styling of the Acadia though because it will obviously be the adopted/milkmans step child.

    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

    Hidden Content

    Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

  10. #7
    GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne (no, not that one!)
    Posts
    8,541
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 893 Times in 598 Posts
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

    Re: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    Good luck with this - I was decried as a doomsayer but so far this is playing out exactly like I predicted.

    GM seemingly doesn't have a plan and making Keeley a scapegoat for it won't help - it's Opel sourced product too dear. My brother and his wife just bought an eight month old Spark, current shape. It's done 7000 km and they got it for $18k from a car yard. It's dropped like a stone in value even though it's the pricier model with pleather and nav - he said RRP was high twenties with options.

    Astra hatch going from Carsales' breakdowns in the comments section, has stalled. It's sold less so far this year than Cruze did in 2016, and Cruze was on limited runout - whatever Holden says, that's not to plan. Sedan going on history will add maybe one in four sales, not a big fillip and selling a Cruze as an Astra sedan - wrong move IMO. It's a bigger roomier vehicle (plus looks hatchy) and Cruze like Captiva actually has some street cred in the market for solid value.

    Colorado is promising, but like Captiva it's off the back of deals and not retail. At present, it's struggling.

    I reckon Holden's just lucky Nissan has lost the plot and VW's rebuilding or it'd be staring at eighth in the market, not fourth. You can't rely on own-goals from others and I fear Terrain (which is odd - why not Equinox which has cohesive styling) at full whack will prove to have buyer resistance, which will erode healthy medium/large SUV sales which Captiva has maintained.

    Ford's in a better position only because of one product - Ranger. That's a pretty tenuous thing, depending on Dearborn for product planning. They have a history of following winners with whoopsies.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 06-18-2017 at 10:14 PM.

  11. #8
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 isszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    3,033
    Thanks
    150
    Thanked 743 Times in 381 Posts
    My Ride
    VF SV6, GC8 WRX, Audi A3 Cab

    Re: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    Hidden Content
    2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2015 Audi A3 Attraction Cabriolet
    Black/black, Auto, Technik pack
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to isszy For This Useful Post:

    kts3502.0 (06-19-2017)

  13. #9
    GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    17,628
    Thanks
    915
    Thanked 624 Times in 475 Posts
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

    Re: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post
    Good luck with this - I was decried as a doomsayer but so far this is playing out exactly like I predicted.

    GM seemingly doesn't have a plan and making Keeley a scapegoat for it won't help - it's Opel sourced product too dear. My brother and his wife just bought an eight month old Spark, current shape. It's done 7000 km and they got it for $18k from a car yard. It's dropped like a stone in value even though it's the pricier model with pleather and nav - he said RRP was high twenties with options.

    Astra hatch going from Carsales' breakdowns in the comments section, has stalled. It's sold less so far this year than Cruze did in 2016, and Cruze was on limited runout - whatever Holden says, that's not to plan. Sedan going on history will add maybe one in four sales, not a big fillip and selling a Cruze as an Astra sedan - wrong move IMO. It's a bigger roomier vehicle (plus looks hatchy) and Cruze like Captiva actually has some street cred in the market for solid value.

    Colorado is promising, but like Captiva it's off the back of deals and not retail. At present, it's struggling.

    I reckon Holden's just lucky Nissan has lost the plot and VW's rebuilding or it'd be staring at eighth in the market, not fourth. You can't rely on own-goals from others and I fear Terrain (which is odd - why not Equinox which has cohesive styling) at full whack will prove to have buyer resistance, which will erode healthy medium/large SUV sales which Captiva has maintained.

    Ford's in a better position only because of one product - Ranger. That's a pretty tenuous thing, depending on Dearborn for product planning. They have a history of following winners with whoopsies.
    We are getting Equinox, not Terrain. Unless you are referring to the the big un we are getting which is Acadia.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

    Hidden Content

    Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

  14. #10
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carlsbad Commiefornia
    Posts
    24,030
    Thanks
    2,555
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 1,510 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

    Re: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    They need product

    Their range without Commodore is pretty dismal

    Colorado is getting there but needs a better engine , When you read that GM isnt going to replace it(the Colorado) till 2022 it doesnt give me a lot of confidence in teh brand considering I will be up for a new one in around 2020 I'm not going to buy the same vehicle I already have , this is what lost them Commodore sales

    Astra is a nice car - but they have screwed the sales mix and you need to be upsold to a near 30k model to get a decent engine - too much money for a small car

    The micro cars are decent and if I was in that market I'd consider one

    They desperately need decent SUV/CUV's

    The Captiva is pension age , however if they think they can suddenly charge full price for its replacement they're kidding themselves. They tried this with Astra initially and it didnt work

    Wont work for Commodore replacement either I fear as you can get decent cars from the opposition for less cash , a common complaint about Commodore from some , but they havent factored in that COmmodore is half a class bigger and is a better car IMO that 6 , Camry ect ect

    So

    Basically it's a bloody long hard journey back and in the short term Holden is ****ed
    The Global Colorado and the US Colorado are on different platforms and different product cycles.
    My Humble opinion is that Australia is sophisticated enough of a market to justify the North American Colorado over the Global Colorado. But UAW together with their North American Engineering counterparts probably do not have the ability of making a RHD model even if someone put a gun to their heads,

  15. #11
    Chevrolet VOLT VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wagga NSW
    Posts
    10,527
    Thanks
    384
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 829 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

    Re: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    The Global Colorado and the US Colorado are on different platforms and different product cycles.
    My Humble opinion is that Australia is sophisticated enough of a market to justify the North American Colorado over the Global Colorado. But UAW together with their North American Engineering counterparts probably do not have the ability of making a RHD model even if someone put a gun to their heads,
    They are the same platform don't kid yourself

    GM has ditched it's partnership with Isuzu (who are now in bed with Mazda) so we will be getting the next US model Colorado thats for sure
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

    I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

  16. #12
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carlsbad Commiefornia
    Posts
    24,030
    Thanks
    2,555
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 1,510 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

    Re: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    They are the same platform don't kid yourself

    GM has ditched it's partnership with Isuzu (who are now in bed with Mazda) so we will be getting the next US model Colorado thats for sure
    So your current Colorado will be on the US platform in the next cycle, definitely yours is going to be loong in the tooth by 2022.

    They are not on the Same platform. The Mexico S10 which I often see is definitely not on the same platform as the US Colorado




    I believe the S10 is your Colorado no?

    These are here side by side, both sold in Mexico
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 06-18-2017 at 11:36 PM.

  17. #13
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dandenong (Melbourne) Australia
    Posts
    9,689
    Thanks
    655
    Thanked 614 Times in 450 Posts
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

    Re: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    I had a look at my local Holden dealer on the weekend. There were four people inside the showroom and they were all looking at an immaculate HG Premier they have on display. I saw them go in and out and they didn't even glance at any other vehicle.
    I also stopped at the Ford dealer and walked around the lot for fifteen minutes, particularly looking at XR6 and Mustang demos. Not a sole came near me and I could have bought any of them if I wanted to -none floated my boat especially the drab colours on the Falcons.

  18. #14
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 isszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    3,033
    Thanks
    150
    Thanked 743 Times in 381 Posts
    My Ride
    VF SV6, GC8 WRX, Audi A3 Cab

    Re: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    Hang on - they want to be one better that 2017th ? I think that is achievable !
    Hidden Content
    2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2015 Audi A3 Attraction Cabriolet
    Black/black, Auto, Technik pack
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to isszy For This Useful Post:

    hq308 (06-19-2017),kts3502.0 (06-19-2017),mikmak (06-19-2017)

  20. #15
    Chevrolet VOLT VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wagga NSW
    Posts
    10,527
    Thanks
    384
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 829 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

    Re: Holden Aiming for 2017 +1

    Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    So your current Colorado will be on the US platform in the next cycle, definitely yours is going to be loong in the tooth by 2022.

    They are not on the Same platform. The Mexico S10 which I often see is definitely not on the same platform as the US Colorado




    I believe the S10 is your Colorado no?

    These are here side by side, both sold in Mexico
    The doors windows windscreen rear screen,roof dashpad chassis (extended in us model) are all the same - the only difference is panel styling of the nose and bed and that's only because the US was 2-3 years late to the party
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

    I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

  21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2