2013 Update For Holden Cruze Includes Moar Powa!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Update For Holden Cruze Includes Moar Powa!

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    I'm walkin'!

2013 Update For Holden Cruze Includes Moar Powa!

2013 Holden Cruze: higher-performance variant part of small car update

Caradvice.com.au

By Daniel DeGasperi
    November 28th, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Caradvice
    Local engineers have been busy re-engineering the Holden Cruze, which will be heavily upgraded in March 2013 – launching neatly between the VF Commodore’s reveal in February and on-sale date in April.

Speaking at the launch of the Colorado 7, Holden’s director of external communications, Craig Cheetham, confirmed the Cruze will get a reworked 1.8-litre four-cylinder engine, a “higher performance” variant with a powered-up 1.4-litre turbo engine, and a suspension tune (again) revised by local engineers.

The Cruze will also pick up the revised exterior and interior previewed by the Chevrolet Cruze (pictured) at the Paris motor show in September.

The Cruze’s 1.8-litre Ecotec four-cylinder dates back to the 1998 TS Astra, but was revised with variable valve timing for the 2007 AH Astra update.

Acknowledging that the ageing 103kW Ecotec struggles to compete with rival engines, Cheetham said engineers have “reworked the valve timing system and developed a new head” for the 1.8-litre to help breathe new life into the entry engine.

At the other end of the Cruze range, a higher-performance variant will debut, featuring a more powerful 1.4-litre turbo engine. Cheetham said Holden engineers found they could do “a lot of things with that [engine]” to increase power and torque beyond the current car’s 103kW and 200Nm.

The spec level will likely top the current SRi-V flagship, a warm rather than hot hatch, priced from around $32K.

A true hot hatch version of the five-door Holden Cruze still seems unlikely, after Holden boss Mike Devereux dismissed such a plan in 2011.
    Read more at the LINK
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Follow me on TWITTER!!
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! LoflytKULTURE

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2013 Update For Holden Cruze Includes Moar Powa!

So why can't "local engineers" in the US make any significant changes to the 200K+ units we sell per year?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

OK, Reuss, you worked for Holden, how about getting Akerson to unclench his butt cheeks and getting all those changes to the NA Cruze?
    No excuses left. Either make the changes here or quit. All of them.

While you're at it, how about doing something about the antifreeze smell plaguing the tiny turbo? Maybe Holden engineers can handle something Chevy engineers are too incompetent to do themselves.

Thanks

At the other end of the Cruze range, a higher-performance variant will debut, featuring a more powerful 1.4-litre turbo engine. Cheetham said Holden engineers found they could do “a lot of things with that [engine]” to increase power and torque beyond the current car’s 103kW and 200Nm.
    Hopefully Chevrolet here will find a way they can do things with that more powerful version to stick it in Cruzes with bowtie logos...

Maybe Sonics/Barinas too...
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I really wonder what goes on at GM head quarters.....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

Hang on guys before we draw and quarter Chev and GMNA engineers lets give them a channce to reveal their updates which are also coming i believe?

Perhaps they are just playing cards a little closer to the chest
    She’s got four a colour, four a clear
    She’s lookin’ better year by year
    And unlike you tonight she’s riding low

So baby its goodbye
    You could never get me high
    Like when I light the nitro on my
    HQ454 Monroe

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Hang on guys before we draw and quarter Chev and GMNA engineers lets give them a channce to reveal their updates which are also coming i believe?

Perhaps they are just playing cards a little closer to the chest
    I hope you are right. I really do

But I doubt it - we all know GM blows their load on almost every bit of news dealing with upcoming product - releasing info, images about upcoming technology and vehicles far too early. It is amazing they've held back the Corvette and Silverado MCEs so long without spilling the beans. So maybe they are learning after all

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    My Ride
    98 VT Commodore 50th Wagon

Hope it works, sales have been slow this year and the base engine needs some more get up and go.
    And if they want hot, shove the 2.0T under the bonnet and make it look more mini-SS.
    Current Garage:

- 1998 VT Commodore 50th Anniversary Wagon
    - 2000 Holden Jackaroo SE V6
    - 2001 Holden Jackaroo SE TD
    - 2008 Toyota Hiace D4D LWB (Work)
    - 2010 Ford BF Mk 3 Wagon XT LPG (Work)

Future:

2014 VF SV6 Storm Sportwagon
    Subaru Liberty GT Wagon
    2010 Nissan Skyline 370GT Sedan

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 SV6 Manual, Impulse Blue

^^^^^ So too the VF/Chev SS it to this point is probably the best kept secret especially with lack of unclad (car bras n padding) camo cars this close to launch. Yes the NASCAR will be seen this week but will only be representative of the front end and nothing more.. I'd give my left bean for a look at the interior. Hmmm better make that my brothers, he's got three boys already

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

GM sells the same engine/tune around the world - and the US will get this too. I have just come back from driving the wagon, and it didn't have the new engine but it did have Australian-spec current suspension tune despite Korean origin and I can confirm it does handle almost exactly like local sedans and hatches. This is about to be superceded by Australian-spec tune v3.0.

It also had the new Australian-spec trans tune 2nd Gen which is going worldwide - and this is an improvement on what happened previously, too. It helps the engine stay in it's effective powerband which aids tractability. To the point where you need cruise control on the flat at 100km/h or the car will run away and creep to illegal speeds! The performance isn't quite transformed, but it is vastly improved and - coupled with the new engine spec I was told they were working on about a year ago, should bring the car right up to scratch. The wagon is a real sweetie of a deal, too. Looker, as well as highly practical.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Commodoreman2000 View Post
    ^^^^^ So too the VF/Chev SS it to this point is probably the best kept secret especially with lack of unclad (car bras n padding) camo cars this close to launch. Yes the NASCAR will be seen this week but will only be representative of the front end and nothing more.. I'd give my left bean for a look at the interior. Hmmm better make that my brothers, he's got three boys already

Yeah i don't think we'll get much of a look after the NASCAR reveal

It's proportions will be vastly different
    She’s got four a colour, four a clear
    She’s lookin’ better year by year
    And unlike you tonight she’s riding low

So baby its goodbye
    You could never get me high
    Like when I light the nitro on my
    HQ454 Monroe

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I think the reputation of the 1.8 amongst Australian small car buyers means that Holden I think should of dropped the engine. As long as it remains, it will drag down the image of the rest of the range.

I have never seen a vehicle in the last 5 years which has gained such a negative powertrain perception amongst buyers, even though you can get the brilliant diesel and 1.4 turbo.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 VEII SV6 "Chlorophyll"

And a lot don't give two hoots and buy the 1.8 because they don't want to spend the extra coin.

There must be enough of them to justify the engine staying.
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.
    [I]plus[I] U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6

Keep Holden On.

St George Illawarra, Mudgee Dragons

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden series 2 LX Captiva

I recon there's nothing that can be done to the 1.8L it's a crap engine nobody I know and yes I know a quite a few people with Cruzes or test drove a cruze and bought something else same thing from all of them the 1.8L is crap big reason why some of them bought other brands.
    Why do you think Opel don't sell a 1.8L Astra here in Australia..
    The 1.4L should have more power but still it's not a barn storming engine because of the weight of the cruze, my pick of the Cruze engines is the diesel.
    It's better on fuel then the 1.8 or 1.4 and my opinon goes harder then them, the torque of the diesel is amazing.
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree www.kts350.com

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

The 1.8 in the heavy Cruze is an embarrassment and the engineers that drove this car in testing phase and thought that it was acceptable should hang their heads in shame.

I really believe the Cruze would be a top 2 car if it had a decent engine as the base engine.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information