SEMA 08: Pontiac G8 ST Concept

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SEMA 08: Pontiac G8 ST Concept

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,622 Times in 372 Posts
    Blog Entries

www.gminsidenews.com

G8 ST concept

The 2010 Pontiac G8 ST is a dramatically different vehicle that blends the performance of the G8 sports sedan with the cargo capabilities of a light truck. It significantly stretches Pontiac’s commitment to style and performance and is expected to arrive in dealers’ showrooms in late 2009.

Pontiac ramps up the excitement for the production model with a concept vehicle upgraded with accessories that inspire enthusiasts about the possibilities of this distinctive vehicle. In fact, this concept incorporates many parts that will likely be offered by GM Accessories when the G8 ST hits dealerships.

Highlights of the concept vehicle include:

* Liquid Hot exterior color with enhanced clear coat
    * Lowered ride height
    * Custom 20-inch wheels
    * Leather-trimmed seats with red inserts
    * G8 GXP steering wheel with red inserts
    * G8 GXP shift knob with red inserts
    * Custom interior trim kit (proposed GM Accessories part)
    * Hard tonneau cover (proposed GM Accessories part)

The G8 ST concept is powered by a uniquely configured 6.0L small-block V-8, rated at 361 horsepower (269 kW) and 385 lb.-ft. of torque (522 Nm). It features GM’s Active Fuel Management technology, which allows the engine to switch from V-8 power to four-cylinder operation during light-load driving conditions, enhancing fuel economy. The transmission is a Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: SEMA 08: Pontiac G8 ST Concept

im sorry..

am i the only one that thinks bring this to America is a bad idea.

i do not think it is the time for it.. i think it will not sell good

Thanks
    My Ride
    1968 SS Impala

Meh...

...Do you think the average redneck would treat this like a truck??

I just don't think it will appeal to a big enough audience.
    "“Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.” -- Goethe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by killerrd2 View Post
    Meh...

...Do you think the average redneck would treat this like a truck??

I just don't think it will appeal to a big enough audience.
    good point.. (redneck)

i really dont think it will .. it could be embarrassing

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

This thing needed to be a Chevy and marketed as an alternative to a full size or midsize work truck from the start...

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

They're not planning to sell tens of thousands of these. If they sell 2-3,000 of these a year, and 2-3000 GXPs you're up to 25,000 G8s a year. I think that's all they're ever intending to sell.

Nothing is as much fun to screw around on a dry road with as a Ute. All that power, no weight in the back and RWD with an LSD, traction/stability control off - tons of fun. Starting to appear in Drift events, childsplay to go sideways.

I'd say there'd be plenty of people, maybe young, outdoorsy and single, maybe as a second vehicle for family guys who'd buy it, rather than have something that struggles to get double-digit fuel economy and has the driving - and parking - dynamics of a whale.

Yesterday on the news they were saying due to a fall in demand for commodities like steel, aluminium, iron, coal from China the Oz dollar may fall as low as 40c US, where it hasn't been in ten years. All of a sudden, the G8 looks like a much better propostion for Pontiac - earlier this year we were almost at parity, for the first time since the 1970s.

You never know - the Sportwagon is selling 1 in 4 and getting very good reviews as an alternative to small SUVs here. That might even end up over there. There's another potential few thou a year.

Good thing about all of them, they drive almost like the G8 (i.e. very nicely, sedan like) and common parts and servicing means no special arrangements. Anyone who can support a G8, can support the whole range. Underneath on a hoist they all look pretty much the same, V6-V6, V8-V8.

And the customising possibilities are endless - GXP bits on ute, wagon. Lotsa small service joints here run a V8 ute as their gofer vehicle, and use the same vehicle as a rolling advertisement for their services. Hence things like the 1000hp - 1022hp at the treads - CAPA VE (G8) Ute.

HSV has versions of both - the Clubsport R8 Tourer (basically a G8 GXP wagon) is only just released but the Maloo is their biggest seller.

A pair of haulers that will dust most 'sports' cars on the road - not just in a straight line!
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 10-31-2008 at 07:42 PM.
    • Barbados Series III CV8 'VT Coupe'
    • 245kW LS1
    • T56 six-speed manual
    • GTO PBR 320mm brakes/DBA 4000 vented discs
    • HSV GTO Wheels

Thanks

dont get me wrong the HSV version looks sweet.. i just dont think its the best idea right now

Thanks

so where is the aftermarket company that offers Chevy kit & El Camino badges for it?
    Ordering those parts would be the first thing I did, if I bought this cool truck.

Thanks

Cool, I can replace my two Fords with a single vehicle, it would combine the attributes of my Mustang GT, and my Ranger.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

It's basically stock. Couldn't they have at least raided the HSV parts bin for SEMA?
    2007 Avalanche, Black LTZ 4x4
    2002 Grand Prix Black GTP, Intercooled

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by powervette View Post
    so where is the aftermarket company that offers Chevy kit & El Camino badges for it?
    Ordering those parts would be the first thing I did, if I bought this cool truck.

You dont need an aftermarket company, Holden makes them themselves:

Well first you buy the Holden front bar:
    Ebay link 1

and then you buy the South African chev badges:
    Ebay link 2

Ebay link 3

Ebay link 4

wheel caps:
    Ebay link 5

steering wheel cap:
    Ebay link 6

.............and then you're pretty much set.

Last edited by Aych Es Vee; 10-31-2008 at 08:28 PM.

My cars:
    1987 Holden VL Turbo - Nissan RB25det under the hood
    2004 Ford Falcon XLS Ute

Thanks

The Aussies sure like some wild colors..........thanks for posting the pictures from down
    under.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 StormHunter77's Avatar
    Thanks

I too think this is a vehicle that is just not timed right. Who needs a two seater sports coupe pickup? Are G8 sedans flying off the shelves? I feel like this is going to be one of the cars people will point to IF GM or Pontiac fails. They'll point to it and say, "See? They built that now but the Cruze won't be here for years." And they'd be right!

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I think they'll easily sell the relative few they bring here. People need something that can haul stuff, but not necessarily heavy stuff. Dirtbikes, shifter karts, etc. And this way they'll use a lot less gas in the process, less than even small pickup trucks. I think it's a vehicle that could find a following.

And what's this "redneck" thing? I'm a college-educated computer geek but I also own a home and I need something that can get 2X4s from the lumber yard. I happen to have a 3/4 ton truck for other reasons, but if I didn't I would consider one of these.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 FierySolstice's Avatar
    Thanks

This car/truck is a joke. They should of brought the coupe and wagon over. I think the wagon looks badass. People like SUV's, the space to put people and other cargo. The people that like trucks still like trucks. They will continue to buy pickups. The wagon would of sold better. But GM's management really doesn't know how to manage so we get the Pontiac El Camino. What a joke this car will be.
    Current Ride: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT

Past Rides: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible * 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS * 2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ * 2007 Saturn Aura XE * 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE * 2004 Pontiac G6 * 1991 Saturn SC * 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information