NAIAS: Cadillac may double lineup, starting with ELR plug-in in 2014

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NAIAS: Cadillac may double lineup, starting with ELR plug-in in 2014

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

NAIAS: Cadillac may double lineup, starting with ELR plug-in in 2014

Cadillac may double lineup, starting with ELR plug-in in 2014
    Automotive News
    January 15, 2013
    by Ben Klayman and Paul Lienert

Cadillac may double its product lineup over the next four years as part of General Motors' strategy to turn the U.S. luxury brand into a global power, starting late this year with the ELR plug-in hybrid, the upscale sibling of the Chevrolet Volt.

Cadillac is firming up plans to expand its family of cars and crossovers to as many as 10 models by 2016, including potentially a flagship sedan, a small crossover and a small car to take on BMW's 1-Series, according to two people familiar with the company's discussions with suppliers.

Central to GM's plans to bulk up Cadillac is the development of a new rear-wheel-drive architecture dubbed Omega for full-size and luxury sedans, including a potential rival in 2015 to the BMW 7-Series that might be called the Cadillac LTS, said the sources, who asked not to be identified discussing GM strategy.

Cadillac also is considering whether to expand its stable of luxury crossover vehicles to include a compact five-passenger model aimed at the BMW X1 and a full-size, seven-passenger model aimed at the X5, the sources said.

Cadillac also plans to add an ATS coupe in early 2015, but may have shelved plans for an ATS convertible, the sources said.

Both the ATS and the 2014 CTS are based on the Alpha platform, which can be built in both rear- and all-wheel-drive versions. A smaller Alpha derivative, targeted at the 1-Series and as yet unnamed, is being considered for 2016 or later, the sources said.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Re: NAIAS: Cadillac may double lineup, starting with ELR plug-in in 2014

Do it!

emh
    Thanks

This is good. But I hope each models receives the attention it needs to be at or near the top of the class and not ship half-baked in a rush to expand the lineup.

The ELR appears to be excellent both in and out. Hopefully Cadillac can maintain that level of execution as they expand the lineup.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC darkangel's Avatar
    Thanks

I will be honest here. Cadillac does not need to copy or duplicate its rivals for market share leadership or growth. They just need to think outside the box and do things different. I believe a line up should be The CTS in coupe and sedan form, The ELR, The ATS in coupe and sedan, an SUV thats based off the ACadia structure, a car to compete with BMW's 1 series to lure young people in and its design must be spectacular. A small SUV below their SRX and keep the SRX--They keep Escalade in small and big form, They need a big sedan --They need a showstopper convertible based off of the Corvette ZR1 2015 model. I truly believe Cadillace should just design a spectacular true pick up truck --This would give many with more money a true upscale truck product as well as bring in huge profits. A truck would stun many and that should be a part of the line-up. GM should just design great and inspiring cars that bring people in. I am still not a fan of GM's Cadillac design language. I feel Hyundai is the one to watch with their designs and Genesis Luxury cars. Cadillac needs a new design language, it needs more organic shapes as well as science. I am scared all the great design will be taken soon and cadillac will be stealing from others soon--
    DARK ANGEL

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkangel View Post
    I will be honest here. Cadillac does not need to copy or duplicate its rivals for market share leadership or growth. They just need to think outside the box and do things different. I believe a line up should be The CTS in coupe and sedan form, The ELR, The ATS in coupe and sedan, an SUV thats based off the ACadia structure, a car to compete with BMW's 1 series to lure young people in and its design must be spectacular. A small SUV below their SRX and keep the SRX--They keep Escalade in small and big form, They need a big sedan --They need a showstopper convertible based off of the Corvette ZR1 2015 model. I truly believe Cadillace should just design a spectacular true pick up truck --This would give many with more money a true upscale truck product as well as bring in huge profits. A truck would stun many and that should be a part of the line-up. GM should just design great and inspiring cars that bring people in. I am still not a fan of GM's Cadillac design language. I feel Hyundai is the one to watch with their designs and Genesis Luxury cars. Cadillac needs a new design language, it needs more organic shapes as well as science. I am scared all the great design will be taken soon and cadillac will be stealing from others soon--
    The pickup truck would turn off too many buyers as it's too MAIRCAN. No ZR1. No Hyundai copycat designs.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

I like this:
    "They may still be suffering from 'Lincoln disease' - the lack of long-term commitment by the parent company,"
    The gentleman is not entirely wrong, I must admit. But I think it's fair to say that if Cadillac does suffer from "Lincoln Disease", it's a much milder case and is showing signs of a robust recovery.

"Anyone who says money can't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop!"

-Mrs. Thurston Howell III

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

I would have to question early 2015 as the release for the ATS coupe. I was thinking more like early 2014. If the encore is well received i dont see Caddy getting a version. Now a 1-series competitor thats available in coupe and sedan would sale well and wouldnt hurt Buicks lineup. GM just needs to get a lineup whatever it is to the showroom asap.

Current rides: 08' Sunburst Orange Cobalt SS/TC
    12' VW Passat TDI Manual

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    This is good. But I hope each models receives the attention it needs to be at or near the top of the class and not ship half-baked in a rush to expand the lineup.

The ELR appears to be excellent both in and out. Hopefully Cadillac can maintain that level of execution as they expand the lineup.
    Took 18 Months. Not bad execution

Thanks

Why isn't Buick saying stuff like this? Why does Opel have a GTC, Cascada, Zafira, a full raft of Astra body styles, and the Adam, and Buick gets three facelifts and no NAIAS reveal...no new feature, no new trim level, no facelift, no production-ready concept, no full-fledged concept...nothing?

Is the Encore the end of the Buick product renaissance? Or is GM's insular risk-averse, avoidant decision-making process bogging Buick down? I'm especially alarmed that Cadillac is talking about doubling the line, when the ELR marks a doubling of the Cadillac line already from three models (SRX, CTS, Escalade) in '12 to six (ATS, SRX, CTS, XTS, ELR, Escalade) in '14. Cadillac's recently proposed new models - a Lambda and a sub-SRX crossover - seem to, at least in theory, step on Buick's toes.

I'm not against some product overlap. But the raft of Cadillac news combined with the lack of Buick news/activity is disconcerting to me.
    Peace,

Autoplaybook

Wouldn't You Really Rather Have A Buick?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

The C7 is so good, and so appealing that it would be a crying shame if they did not produce an XLR based on the C7 platform. This car even with the base LT1, and Cadillac specific equipment would easily shade the current leader of the class in almost every way.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 LetsRace's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

I like this guy Ferguson. He knows were the brand needs to go with RHD and Diesel car in Europe and a true Omega flagship. Some people may not like the crossovers but they pay the bills and pay the awesome cars we want to see. Get moving people time to give the germans a good headache.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Cadillac may double its product lineup over the next four years as part of General Motors' strategy to turn the U.S. luxury brand into a global power, starting late this year with the ELR plug-in hybrid, the upscale sibling of the Chevrolet Volt.

Cadillac is firming up plans to expand its family of cars and crossovers to as many as 10 models by 2016, including potentially a flagship sedan, a small crossover and a small car to take on BMW's 1-Series, according to two people familiar with the company's discussions with suppliers.
    Now, when he says "double the product lineup," he mean adding 2 new series of car (i.e. - ATS + ELR)?
    Right now, Cadillac has 5 models -- ATS, CTS, XTS, SRX, Escalade.

Central to GM's plans to bulk up Cadillac is the development of a new rear-wheel-drive architecture dubbed Omega for full-size and luxury sedans, including a potential rival in 2015 to the BMW 7-Series that might be called the Cadillac LTS, said the sources, who asked not to be identified discussing GM strategy.
    So, now they're rivaling the 7-series? All this talk about "A8" in the past, the focus is now on 7-series?

Cadillac also is considering whether to expand its stable of luxury crossover vehicles to include a compact five-passenger model aimed at the BMW X1 and a full-size, seven-passenger model aimed at the X5, the sources said.
    Alpha and ALpha+? It can't be Lambda.
    Now, about the 1-series. Is this the outgoing 1-series that is RWD-based? Or the incoming 1-series that is FWD based? The 1-series now evolves to 2-series.

I would prefer Cadillac focus on cars that are CTS level and HIGHER instead of focusing on low end niche vehicles at this point in time. It's time for Cadillac to build up its portfolio of cars >$50,000 that isn't a truck.

Cadillac also plans to add an ATS coupe in early 2015, but may have shelved plans for an ATS convertible, the sources said.
    Ummm... Why not both? Is the engineering really all that difficult?

Both the ATS and the 2014 CTS are based on the Alpha platform, which can be built in both rear- and all-wheel-drive versions. A smaller Alpha derivative, targeted at the 1-Series and as yet unnamed, is being considered for 2016 or later, the sources said.
    Then it is actually 2-series, not 1-series.

So we can assume a future lineup of....

1) Cadillac 2-series competitor
    2) ATS Family
    3) CTS Family
    4) Cadillac 7-series competitor
    5) XTS
    6) Cadillac compact CUV
    7) Cadillac SRX
    8) Cadillac X5 competitor
    9) Escalade
    10) ELR

Can Cadillac drop XTS or make it fleet only and bring back XLR???????
    #7 and 8 are stupid. Make SRX the X5 competitor and have an SRX-L with the 3rd row. Then you can build a GL or Q7 competitor.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 LetsRace's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    The C7 is so good, and so appealing that it would be a crying shame if they did not produce an XLR based on the C7 platform. This car even with the base LT1, and Cadillac specific equipment would easily shade the current leader of the class in almost every way.
    Cadillac needs a Mercedea SL fighter no question about that. I have always wanted to see a Cadillac supercar something awesome mid engine, AWD, and twin turbocharged ferrari enZo nightmare. Maybe with something of Voltec technology and I know that right now that is not the priority but its great to dream

Thanks
    My Ride
    04 GTO 09 G8GT & 15 MustangGT?

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    What if Cadillac eschewed the V8 over a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6 with 450-480 HP instead?

(2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I was originally planning on purchasing an ELR until I saw the $60-75k price tag. I would be interested in an ELR with a conventional drivetrain (2.0L Verano motor) as my daily commuter for $35k. I would be paying for that incredible exterior styling and incredible interior, plus it should have more than sporty handling.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information