GM Reveals 2018 GMC Terrain

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Reveals 2018 GMC Terrain

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,412 Times in 1,013 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

GM Reveals 2018 GMC Terrain

GMC Introduces Modern, Bold Design on 2018 Terrain
    Confident appearance, accommodating interior and turbo engines elevate new premium compact SUV
    General Motors

January 8, 2017

DETROIT — GMC today introduced the all-new 2018 Terrain and unveiled the next chapter of GMC design via a boldly styled and intelligently engineered successor to the brand’s popular compact SUV. The Terrain offers greater refinement and versatility to adapt to customers’ unique needs, and it’s packed with more available advanced safety technologies than ever before.

GMC offers customers the widest range of choices yet, with three all-new available turbocharged propulsion systems, including a new turbo-diesel. Two new efficiency-enhancing nine-speed automatic transmissions are matched with the gas engines — a first application for the GMC lineup.

Continuing the momentum of owning 25 percent of GMC’s overall retail sales, Denali returns to the Terrain with greater exclusivity than ever, offering a distinctive range-topping design and uniquely refined features.

“GMC’s strong growth over the past decade is due in large part to Terrain,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of global GMC Sales and Marketing. “The all-new Terrain builds on that success, leveraging GMC’s proven premium SUV experience to shake up the largest vehicle segment, with a strong blend of design, functionality and engineering excellence.”

The 2018 Terrain goes on sale this summer in SL, SLE, SLT and Denali models, maintaining the momentum created by the first-generation model, of which more than 700,000 have been sold in North America since it went on sale in 2009.

Bold, modern design

The new Terrain’s bold exterior signals the next chapter of GMC’s design language, evolving the brand’s signature cues with stronger, sharper and more sculpted elements such as the grille and lighting features. Its shape was refined in the wind tunnel to help ensure the distinctive profile cuts through the air with optimal efficiency and quietness.

“It is a striking design with functional beauty,” said Helen Emsley, executive director, Global GMC Design. “There’s confidence and optimism in its stance, with exceptional attention to detail that speaks to GMC’s rise as a premium brand.”

Elevating GMC’s new design, the all-new Terrain Denali will feature its signature chrome grille along with Denali-specific accents including body-color fascias and lower trim, plus chrome roof rails, door handles, side mirror caps and body-side molding. Additionally, LED headlamps and 19-inch ultra-bright machined aluminum wheels are standard on Denali.

All other models feature signature LED daytime running lamps and tail lamps. Bi-functional HID headlamps are standard on SL, SLE and SLT. Additionally, 17-inch wheels are standard on SL and SLE, with 18-inch wheels available on SL and SLE, and standard on SLT.

Turbocharged propulsion choices

A range of three all-new turbocharged engines, including an all-new 1.6L turbo-diesel, provides more choices when it comes to performance, efficiency and capability in the all-new 2018 GMC Terrain. New 1.5L and 2.0L turbocharged gas engines are matched with two unique new nine-speed automatic transmissions, with the 2.0L turbo engine offering stronger acceleration and a higher degree of performance than its 1.5L counterpart.

GMC’s new Electronic Precision Shift enables more storage room in the center console by replacing the conventional transmission shifter with electronically controlled gear selection consisting of intuitive push buttons and pull triggers.

The Terrain comes standard with GMC’s driver-controllable Traction Select system, which has choices for different driving conditions. Elements such as the throttle responses are optimized for the selected driving mode. AWD models include a FWD mode that disconnects the AWD system to minimize drag and optimize fuel economy, while the AWD mode offers all the benefits of an active AWD system.

Refined, versatile and purposeful interior

Like the exterior, the new Terrain’s interior makes a statement and serves as a fundamental component of the vehicle’s heightened emphasis on refinement and functionality. Elements such as authentic aluminum trim, soft-touch materials on the instrument panel and doors and standard active noise cancellation are premium features seamlessly integrated into the interior design for a luxurious customer experience.

The Terrain Denali heightens the GMC experience throughout the new interior with a unique trim tint color and Denali-specific logos and piping on the front seats. Denali customers will benefit from additional standard features including a heated steering wheel, navigation, Bose premium 7-speaker sound system and a hands-free programmable power liftgate.

An expanded center console with pass-through storage underneath and side-by-side cupholders adds to the Terrain’s functionality. A new fold-flat front passenger seat and flat-folding rear seat help Terrain offer greater versatility for stowing longer items and make it easier to load cargo. There are also new under-floor compartments in the cargo area for more secure storage.

GMC keeps passengers connected with 7- and available 8-inch-diagonal infotainment systems, featuring compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality and a standard OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot (data plan purchase required after limited trial period) that can accommodate up to seven mobile devices. Owners can also manage their vehicles remotely with the industry-leading myGMC mobile app via their compatible smartphones. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility are subject to their terms, privacy statements and data plan rates, and require a compatible smartphone.

Every new Terrain comes standard with five years of the OnStar Basic Plan[1] at no additional cost. Among other benefits, this connectivity plan features OnStar Smart Driver, an opt-in service designed to help GMC owners maximize their vehicle’s overall performance, reduce wear and tear, monitor fuel efficiency and become better drivers — all factors that add to the overall ownership experience.

Expanded range of safety features

An expanded range of available active safety technologies is designed to enhance driver awareness and even help make it easier to park and maneuver in low-speed situations. The features include radar- and camera-based adaptive technologies that can provide alerts to potential crash threats, allowing the driver to react and make changes to potentially avoid them, including:
    • New Surround Vision
    • New Forward Collision Alert with Following Distance Indicator
    • New Low-Speed Forward Automatic Braking
    • New Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
    • Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
    • Rear Cross Traffic Alert
    • New Safety Alert Seat
    The new Terrain also features GMC’s new Rear Seat Reminder[2] and Teen Driver[3]. Rear Seat Reminder alerts drivers to check the back seat as they exit their vehicles under certain circumstances, while Teen Driver allows parents to set controls and review an in-vehicle report card in order to help encourage better driving habits, even when adults are not in the vehicle.

Hidden Content
    Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-08-2017),96RIV (01-08-2017),BlackGTP (01-08-2017),Dheart (01-08-2017),dishdude (01-09-2017),dslay04 (01-08-2017),eastcoasthd (01-08-2017),GMTruckGuy74 (01-08-2017),kmacleod (01-08-2017),ksss (01-09-2017),mbukukanyau (01-09-2017),SierraGS (01-08-2017),SRFCTY (01-09-2017),XP300 (01-09-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Buick Park Avenue

Re: GM Reveals 2018 GMC Terrain

This one is gonna take a while to grow on me. I really like the 1st gen Terrain and there are a few styling choices that I really don't care for. Overall I don't think it's repulsive, just not my cup of tea.

Also, if that manumatic mode depends on just those two buttons above and below the 'L' setting, I'm calling shenanigans.
    Hidden Content
    Present Ride: 2002 Buick Park Avenue, 215,300 Miles

Past Rides:
    1996 Buick Riviera, 188,800 Miles
    1995 Pontiac Trans Sport 210,000 Miles

Buick, The American Riviera.
    Updated: 1-25-2017

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 778 Times in 1,063 Posts
    My Ride
    02 Sierra, 69 2500, 01 Saturn

Push button transmission & a USB-C charge port are in there. The front end will have to grow on me, but overall, I like it.
    Hidden Content

"Don't think of it as a slap. Think of it as a high 5.....for your stupid face." How I Met Your Mother--January 13, 2014

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

RamJet502 (01-09-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

At first I was really on the fence, more I see it the more I like it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ranchman For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (01-08-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 96RIV View Post
    Also, if that manumatic mode depends on just those two buttons above and below the 'L' setting, I'm calling shenanigans.
    Who the hell is going to hit buttons on the lower dash board to toggle between gears? I hope it has flappy paddles that are just invisible or something.

Thanks
    My Ride

It grew on me really quickly. I like the SLT better than the Denali.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

Goob (01-09-2017)

Thanks

It will sell because it is a mainstream crossover.....but I'm not impressed at all.

The only thing weirder than the front end is the convoluted push button transmission.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to member12 For This Useful Post:

jalberda (01-10-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    04 Canyon Z71 / 08 Accord V6

Quote Originally Posted by member12 View Post
    Who the hell is going to hit buttons on the lower dash board to toggle between gears? I hope it has flappy paddles that are just invisible or something.
    I'm not seeing any paddles. Lincoln at least includes paddles in their push-button vehicles.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF

I think it looks great.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t-rexx For This Useful Post:

dishdude (01-09-2017),SRFCTY (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,714 Times in 2,191 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I'll have to see it in real life, I don't hate it but I feel like all the design elements are cobbled together vs. being a cohesive whole.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ranchman View Post
    At first I was really on the fence, more I see it the more I like it.
    It's growing on me....very slowly. As others have pointed out, it doesn't look like a cohesive design. It just appears to be an accumulation of design elements from a number of different cars.
    Last edited by member12; 01-08-2017 at 07:36 PM.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Mazda CX-3 and 2016 CX-5

It looks good, not great. It looks to me like it should...it is a GMC version of the Equinox...not an exact twin, but you can see they are close.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

The floating roof/ invisible C pillar needs to go.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spd98 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Show-Me2 (01-08-2017),Murrow (01-08-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Sierra Dbl Cab Cardinal Red

At least now there's distinct differences in the Terrain and Equinox interiors. Not sure I like The tranny push buttons. The "L" shifting is odd. I'm sure 99.9% of owners never use the L anyway.

Thanks
    My Ride

http://www.gmc.com/suvs/2018-terrain-small-suv.html

Consumer site is live.

Hilariously enough I think the SLE trim looks best. Tones down all the chrome.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information