Chicago: Scion xB & xD

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago: Scion xB & xD

Administrator Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

Chicago: Scion xB & xD

More significant, however, is xB’s all-new compact-car platform, which represents a move away from the xD—the replacement for the previous xB’s platformmate, the xA—which has transitioned to the Yaris’ subcompact architecture. As such, the all-new xB offers more space inside for guitars, amps, and retro-punk hairdos. Gone are the moronic center-mounted gauges, replaced by a more stylish, more conventional dashboard arrangement.

The news gets even better under the hood, where a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine (shared with the tC) making 158 horsepower and 162 pound-feet of torque replaces the wimpy 103-hp 1.5-liter four-pot of xB version 1.0. Five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmissions deliver the newfound power to the front wheels, the latter with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

====

Scion chose the Chicago Auto Show to lift the veil from its first new model since the tC, called xD. Though the xD effectively replaces the not-so-popular xA, it is different enough to warrant a new name to match its infinitely more stylish, squared-off sheetmetal. The new name also underscores that the subcompact xD, which arrives late this summer, no longer shares a platform—or even engines—with Scion’s other Chicago debutant: the all-new 2008 xB, which has grown into a proper compact and is scheduled to arrive late this spring.

The 2008 xD is based on the Yaris platform but, thankfully, Scion saw fit to skip over the Yaris’ wimpy 103-hp, 1.5-liter four-banger and install a 128-hp 1.8-liter four (as found in the Toyota Corolla/Matrix) under the clamshell hood. Said motor will be mated to either a four-speed automatic or a five-speed manual transmission. The xD’s wheels are 16 inches in diameter, though Scion certainly will have an array of larger wheels available as accessories, along with myriad other items to help customers individualize their ‘D.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Chicago: Scion xB & xD

Can't wait to see more pictures. I'm sure the new xB will take a good fuel economy hit in the name of performance. It's also not as squared-off as the old one. Both of those attributes helped sell the original xB, it was essentially a LHD version of a JDM microbox with a tiny engine. I guess it will find new buyers to replace the ones that will be turned-off by the changes.

The xD looks pretty promising, except for all of that ground clearance.
    Last edited by AndrewGS; 02-07-2007 at 06:22 AM.
    Andrew - Facebook - Flickr - KD5FHW
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado C1500 ECSB LS
    2001 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT
    2008 Pontiac Torrent
    2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT Turbo - The Thread

Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

Thanks

As a current Scion owner, I have to say I'm disappointed. And once again, This proves to me more that Toyota is losing it. The xD looks like a mini-Rav4. Now, when Toyota introduced the xB in the US back in 2003, it was identical to the Japanese version (Toyota bB). Now, Toyota has made them into two completely different looking cars.

Here's a pics of what the Japanese-Spec xB look like.

Unfortunatly, i don't have a rear shot, but you all can visit... http://toyota.jp/bb/exterior/garally/index.html

And as much as i didn't like the Japanese version, i like over the xB2 they have shown at the Chicago Auto Show.

I don't go fishing, I go fish sticking. How do you think we get the fish sticks?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koasterking
    As a current Scion owner, I have to say I'm disappointed. And once again, This proves to me more that Toyota is losing it. The xD looks like a mini-Rav4. Now, when Toyota introduced the xB in the US back in 2003, it was identical to the Japanese version (Toyota bB). Now, Toyota has made them into two completely different looking cars.

Here's a pics of what the Japanese-Spec xB look like.

Unfortunatly, i don't have a rear shot, but you all can visit... http://toyota.jp/bb/exterior/garally/index.html

And as much as i didn't like the Japanese version, i like over the xB2 they have shown at the Chicago Auto Show.
    The bB and xB no longer share platforms. The xB grew a class.
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT
    2008 Pontiac Torrent

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Raider

More significant, however, is xB’s all-new compact-car platform, which represents a move away from the xD—the replacement for the previous xB’s platformmate, the xA—which has transitioned to the Yaris’ subcompact architecture. As such, the all-new xB offers more space inside for guitars, amps, and retro-punk hairdos. Gone are the moronic center-mounted gauges, replaced by a more stylish, more conventional dashboard arrangement.

The news gets even better under the hood, where a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine (shared with the tC) making 158 horsepower and 162 pound-feet of torque replaces the wimpy 103-hp 1.5-liter four-pot of xB version 1.0. Five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmissions deliver the newfound power to the front wheels, the latter with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

====

Scion chose the Chicago Auto Show to lift the veil from its first new model since the tC, called xD. Though the xD effectively replaces the not-so-popular xA, it is different enough to warrant a new name to match its infinitely more stylish, squared-off sheetmetal. The new name also underscores that the subcompact xD, which arrives late this summer, no longer shares a platform—or even engines—with Scion’s other Chicago debutant: the all-new 2008 xB, which has grown into a proper compact and is scheduled to arrive late this spring.

The 2008 xD is based on the Yaris platform but, thankfully, Scion saw fit to skip over the Yaris’ wimpy 103-hp, 1.5-liter four-banger and install a 128-hp 1.8-liter four (as found in the Toyota Corolla/Matrix) under the clamshell hood. Said motor will be mated to either a four-speed automatic or a five-speed manual transmission. The xD’s wheels are 16 inches in diameter, though Scion certainly will have an array of larger wheels available as accessories, along with myriad other items to help customers individualize their ‘D.
    I don't know if all the Toyota lovers can defend this or not. Definately not class leading, but watch people act like these are the second coming of th 86 Taurus.

Ahh, a underpower 4-cylinder and a 4-speed transmission. Is Toyota going 80's retro on us? Hee he he he

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unkillsam
    Ahh, a underpower 4-cylinder and a 4-speed transmission. Is Toyota going 80's retro on us? Hee he he he
    They are definately not underpowered. Have you driven a the 1.8L in the Corolla/Matrix/Vibe? It has more than enough power to move this subcompact car. The 2.4L will be more than enough for the new xB as well. In fact, I wish they would've used the 1.8L in it as well for better fuel economy.

As for the 4-speed automatic, I'm suprised Toyota hasn't built/bought a 5-speed for everything that is currently without it. The 4-speed will be fine though. I was pretty impressed with the 1.8L/4-speed combo in my sister's rental Vibe; at 90mph it still had decent pull to it.
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT
    2008 Pontiac Torrent

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Darc Requiem's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Taurus SHO White

My friend owned a Scion tC with the 2.4 liter I4. He got worse gas mileage than I did with my old 98 Z24. The xB is a much lighter vehicle than the tC but its gas mileage is going to take a serious hit. Yeah I noticed the use of 4 speed autos as well. I bet car mags will gloss over this fact since both vehicles are made by Toyota.

Thanks

Ugly.

Not even the slightest bit of appeal.
    "It's starting to hit me like a ....ummmm... two ton heavy thing"

Current Car : 2004 Chevrolet Classic (RIP Dad)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Butz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    DC Metro

They have better Kei-cars in Japan, I don't like the new xB and xD at all!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

This is just an opinion so no flames please..

Do people actually plan on buying this?

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Well, the xB is a little more stylish than its predicessor.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

Those are so ugly...they'll never sell.

Wait. I forgot how bad people's taste are nowadays. I just don't see the appeal. It's weak, ugly, and has a horrible stigma.
    Last edited by member12; 02-07-2007 at 07:05 AM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze/2014/Silver

Wow, I didn't think they could make their cars any uglier. Guess I was wrong. Apparently this type of car appeals to a certain audience anyway.

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    2003 8.1L 2500 4x4 Suburban
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Manual

Thanks

Those are terrible, really ugly, Aztek ugly people.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGS
    They are definately not underpowered. Have you driven a the 1.8L in the Corolla/Matrix/Vibe? It has more than enough power to move this subcompact car. The 2.4L will be more than enough for the new xB as well. In fact, I wish they would've used the 1.8L in it as well for better fuel economy.

As for the 4-speed automatic, I'm suprised Toyota hasn't built/bought a 5-speed for everything that is currently without it. The 4-speed will be fine though. I was pretty impressed with the 1.8L/4-speed combo in my sister's rental Vibe; at 90mph it still had decent pull to it.

Ok, the new astra and the current Civic both have 140 horsepower 1.8 liter engines. So, Toyota is behind the competition on that one, not to mention that motor has no Torque whatsoever. If you think that the Matrix has some giddyup, then I want what your smoking.

Mitsubishi, Honda, GM, Subaru, Nissan, etc.... all have more powerful 4-cylinder engines in the 2.4-2.5 liter class. Again, Toyota is behind the competition. And, that 2.4 engine only has a 6,000 redline, certainly not class competitive if you like to really drive stick.

So it's ok to gloss over the fact that Toyota uses 4-speeds in its cars but if GM uses a 4-speed in the Cobalt then they need to be executed?

Again, if your impressed by the 1.8 4-speed combo it terms of acceleration then I want what you are smoking, that motor begs for a 6-speed to keep it in its powerband. BTW, bet you were wasting lots of gas cruising over 4,000 rpms.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information