Beijing: Buick Invicta Concept revealed

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beijing: Buick Invicta Concept revealed

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Beijing: Buick Invicta Concept revealed

Last edited by nsap; 04-19-2008 at 08:36 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Design Contest Official A.J.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Buick Invicta Concept revealed; 2010 LaCrosse previewed

Excellent-looking. It seems like Buick's going with an Enclave formula here - a "concept" car with minimal production changes. I don't like the color scheme with the interior though...

However, it seems very promising. Hopefully it'll be named Invicta when it hits production.

EDIT: I see push-button start!
    Last edited by A.J.; 04-19-2008 at 08:34 AM.

A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Re: Buick Invicta Concept revealed; 2010 LaCrosse previewed

Interesting. A bit more squared off around the lights and top of the grille than I thought and depicted in my chop below. Not sure I like that on a Buick which usually is more rounded in it's styling.

This is not a thinly veiled production car as there are cut lines that differ from the production prototype. The cut line at the base of the A pillar is changed, as is the cut line between the front bumper clip and the front fender. The lower vent under the front bumper will be almost exactly as portrayed on my chop, going by the spy pic. Also the top of the grille on the spy pic shows a much softer top to the waterfall grille bars with less protrusion out from the horizontal grille surround. This concept also has a lower roofline and a shorter trunk than the prototype. So it will be interesting to see how 'softened' the design is on the final production car.

Below is a comparison between parts of the concept and the production prototype. I thought I would explain why they are different and what it may mean for how much of the concepts design makes it to production.

If you look at the red arrow on the concepts inset pic of the A pillar you will see that the line next to the windscreen is sharp, making the A pillar slab sided. But if you look at the red arrow on the A pillar on the prototype on the trailer you will see that the A pillar is curved and rounded like most cars. This is because, especially with CAF, you need the best aerodynamics for low fuel use.

We know with the Volt concept that it was made before going in the wind tunnel and they have had to change a lot. The same with this concept. As wind piles up as it runs into the windscreen and forms a high-pressure zone then it must move around the windscreen. Some goes up over the roof and the rest goes around the sides.

So a high-pressure stream of air has to pass across the A pillar at high speed from the windscreen side to the side windows. If this is rounded then the air moves smoothly and maintains it's laminar flow, meaning that it doesn't break up and start to tumble and cause eddies and turbulence, which saps fuel economy. But if the edge is sharp then it's like falling over a small waterfall, and just like the water bubbles and boils around turbulently under a waterfall, so too would air over that concept's sharp A pillar.

The problem is that if they smooth that off, as they have done, then what of the sharp raised ridge on the bonnet which the A pillar flows into and which the portholes are on the inside edge of? Will they be softened and rounded too - probably. They may even have to reposition the portholes.

If we look at the inset of the concepts grille and compare it to the prototypes grille we see under the red arrows that the top of the grille bars sit out much further on the concept than on the production prototype. This is again due to airflow. Those 'teeth' like tops of the grille on the concept would be like forcing air through a comb, it would cause a break-up of the laminar flow needed. The prototypes much smoother softer grille will interfere with airflow much less and get better fuel economy.

The sharp edge at the top of the lights may also have to be rounded more in the name of good aerodynamics and fuel economy.

Just though I’d share these little interesting facts.

I think these colored cars are closer to what the production cars will look like. I raised the roof, smoothed the body a little and changed the grille and under bumper vent to match the prototype.

OK. I did this one with smaller wheels just for jason4225 who asked for them and more normal side windows.

I also made the B pillar more prominent and changed the A pillar and front clip cut lines to production.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 04-20-2008 at 02:30 AM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Beijing: Buick Invicta Concept revealed

Well if it's close to the car in those pics the "It's just an Aura crowd" will be sad. That looks awesome! That will sit beautifully alongside the Enclave. The Chinese Park Avenue is too tame next to this thing! Can't wait to see it... the simple addition of this car (again, assuming it looks as good in production form) gives me hope for Buick.
    It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC JohnPetrosky2k's Avatar
    Thanks

Much better then the Lucerne and Lacrosse ,
    which isnt saying much. But I'd buy one.
    [ 2008 Chevrolet HHR SS ][ 1998 Pontiac Trans AM "WS7" ]

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC GAIntrigue's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Black GMC Terrain

Very nice design. The portholes on top of the hood may need to grow on me a bit, but I don't think they take away from the design.

The teal/aqua backlighting works for me. But, wasn't that Oldsmobile's signature backlighting scheme? Pontiac has red. Saturn has amber. Chevrolet has blue (I read one Malibu review where the author said he felt like he was on the set of Tron with the mood lighting). It seems like I remember Olds having the teal/aqua. I've never been a big Buick guy. So I have no idea if Buick had a signature backlighting.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

looks nice!
    Member of The: I will never buy a Japanese car in my life Club

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I don't care for the belt line but then I would imagine the car manufacturers are working to create something "different and exciting"

Hope its a winner for buick.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Beautiful car. Can't wait to see it in production form. Now let's see what Lucerne replacement will look like.

Armrests looks plenty long to me.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC THE_SMURF's Avatar
    Thanks

Finally a handsome Buick, that a non AARP member would want to drive. Very Lexus in appearance. Nice, classy, without being gawdy

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Wow...I really really like it Congrats Buick

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Here's the new Buick!

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/19/b...lo-to-next-la/

[ EDIT: Sorry, someone else had it posted and I didn't see it. ]
    Last edited by 1957wildcat; 04-19-2008 at 08:58 AM.
    B U I C K
    My kind of luxury

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC CADZILLA_53's Avatar
    Thanks

WOW......What a beautiful car. I love everything about it. I think I see my next car in this one. Can't wait to see it next spring.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Nice, VERY nice.

This is it folks. Minimal changes from show car and you have the next Buick Invicta. The interior has a lot of heritage Buick cues. Wow. Exterior carries the theme. The rear looks nice. Those tail lights are both classy and modern.

Good job. Still looks very American, for all those who worried about the Chinese influence. The Chinese probably worked on engineering issues, such as testing, more than they did design. They have a lot of engineers in that country and they work cheap. If it is going to be sold there, let them be a part of it and they will buy it. Global world now.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar prototype66's Avatar
    Thanks

That is a beautiful car. The full canopy glass won't make it naturally but a cool design none the less.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information