New Audi TDI At LAAS

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Audi TDI At LAAS

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Quest's Avatar
    Thanks

New Audi TDI At LAAS

Nov 19, 2012 , HERNDON, Va.
    Audi to introduce four new TDI® clean diesel models to the U.S. Market at the L.A. Autoshow

Audi Media US

Promo Vid

The Audi A8 TDI clean diesel achieves manufacturer estimated fuel efficiency of 24 city/ 36 highway

New 3.0 liter V6 TDI clean diesel models will include the Audi A8, A7, A6, Q5 and an updated Q7 TDI

Audi to use #FuelForThought at the LA Auto Show to create a social media experience at the display and online

Audi of America announces the arrival of the new TDI® clean diesel models for the Audi A8, A7, A6 and Q5 to debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The addition of these four models marks the first time Audi will feature a full lineup of TDI clean diesel vehicles in the U.S. as they join the updated Q7 model. Each TDI vehicle delivers up to 30% better fuel economy and 30% lower carbon dioxide emissions than gasoline engines*, resulting in longer range and fewer trips to the fuel pump. By having more density than gasoline, diesel packs more energy content in the same amount of fuel, which helps maximize the miles per gallon when that energy is released during a more powerful combustion cycle.

Audi A8 TDI
    The flagship of the Audi brand, the A8 TDI, makes a powerful statement in achieving a manufacturer estimated fuel efficiency of 24 MPG in the city and 36 MPG on the highway*. The A8 TDI clean diesel executive sedan embodies superior design and progressive advancements which sets new standards for luxury sedans in terms of uncompromising efficiency and performance. The new 2014 A8 sedans dramatically expand the flagship’s engine offerings by moving from two variants (4.2 liter V8 and W12) to five, including: the entry level A8 3.0T V6; the 420 horsepower A8 4.0T V8; the new Audi S8 4.0T V8; the A8 6.0 liter W12; and the new A8 3.0 TDI V6. The new 3.0 liter TDI clean diesel engine generates an astonishing 240 horsepower with 406 lb.-ft. of torque and seamlessly goes 0-60 in 6.4 seconds.

Audi A7 TDI
    The Audi A7 TDI clean diesel is the pinnacle of design and is now more fuel efficient than ever. Without compromising design or performance, every detail of the A7 TDI delivers a striking visual statement. The A7 was the first car in the world to feature available factory-installed Wi-Fi (for up to 8 passenger devices) with Audi connect™ and MMI® navigation plus with 3D Google Earth™ maps. From the groundbreaking available MMI touch and its gracefully integrated display screen, to the state-of-the-art head-up display, the Audi A7 TDI is the perfect marriage of progressive design, efficiency and versatile space.

Audi A6 TDI
    One of Audi’s most innovative and technologically advanced models to date, the A6 TDI performance sedan sacrifices virtually nothing in performance, comfort or design. As with the successful A6 TFSI® gas engines, the A6 TDI clean diesel engine can make up to 2,000 decisions per second. Available driver assistance systems include night vision assistant, head-up display and Audi pre sense plus that helps detect imminent collisions and initiates protective measures when needed. Other available intelligent features include head-up display and the MMI touch that recognizes handwriting, along with the available Audi connect – the first factory-installed wireless internet connection that enables Google Earth maps, Google Local Search, and a WiFi hotspot for up to eight passenger devices.

Audi Q5 TDI
    The Audi Q5 has proven itself an absolute success as one of the best-selling models in the Audi lineup. For the 2014 model year, the Q5 will receive the new TDI engine which will allow for better fuel economy along with increased torque. The Audi Q5 TDI combines the driving appeal of a sedan with high versatility of its interior space and many practical solutions for recreation and everyday driving. Audi has further sharpened the profile of its performance SUV in its design, technological advancements, driver assistance systems and fuel efficiencies. The new TDI clean diesel engine marks the fourth engine variant for the Audi Q5 model lineup, adding to the current four-cylinder 2.0T, the 3.0T V6, and the Q5 hybrid.

Audi Q7 TDI
    The Audi Q7 continues to establish the standard in progressive design, sophisticated technology and fuel efficiency in premium sport utility vehicles. The benefits of TDI clean diesel technology are further enhanced through the revised V6 TDI engine that offers a 10 percent efficiency improvement compared to gasoline engines. The revised TDI clean diesel engine has an increased output of 240 horsepower and 406 lb-ft of torque that helps improve performance and offers impressive fuel economy with an EPA estimated 19 city/ 28 highway miles per gallon*. The incredibly efficient TDI clean diesel engine enables the Q7 TDI to achieve a range in excess of 700 miles per tank***.

2014 MY Availability
    A8 TDI Spring 2013
    A7 TDI Fall 2013
    A6 TDI Fall 2013
    Q5 TDI Fall 2013

Pricing for all 2014 MY vehicles to be announced at a later date

2013 MY Availability Starting MSRP
    Q7 TDI Since September 2012 $52,000

* EPA estimates. Mileage will vary.
    ** Based on total A3 TDI and Q7 TDI vehicles sold, average nationwide gasoline fuel prices, and EPA estimated annual average miles driven.
    *** Range based on 28-mpg highway EPA estimates and a 26.4-gallon fuel-tank. Mileage will vary.
    Any rigidity by an automobile manufacturer, no matter how large or how well established, is severely penalized in the market.
    -Alfred P. Sloan Jr. (1965) My Years with General Motors.

Longitudinal powertrain Audi vehicles with quattro are indistinguishable from RWD vehicles with Full-Time AWD; both meet the criteria to be labeled RWD/AWD - to argue otherwise is a “logical fallacy” (argumentum ad logicam).

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

jry
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chrysler 300, others

Re: New Audi TDI At LAAS

Its about time. I can hardly wait to try out a full sized, diesel sedan.
    '13 Chrysler 300 AWD, '14 Expy EL,'09 Escape Hybrid and shopping for a sports car.
    Good night and good luck.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I dream of the day when VW/ Audi as well as BMW will bring their class leading performance diesels to the US. Audi's new 3.0 TTDi with 309 hp, and 480 lb ft of torque would be a far more compelling alternative to the relatively weak US spec 3.0 TDi. Also the new Audi W12 is a 6.3 liter W12 not the 6.0 liter W12 as stated in the post above.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

And in the other corner -

"From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    And in the other corner -

Isn't it amazing what utilizing ZF 8HP kits can do as far as minimal investment, and then other strides can be made in other powertrain technologies? BMW's world beating tri turbo N57S diesel would truly be a game changer in the US market, and I would like to see the BMW M550d debut in the US market.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar voyager's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Guzzi Monza Alfa Romeo 156SW

There is more VAG news at the LAAS. The 2013 Porsche Cayman.
    GeneratinGMobilizing
    Good Day Shine

Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

So..... if you really look at some of the details appears that milder Audi 3.0 V6 TDs are going to end up matched in at least a few places - with stronger per litre but lower overall BMW i4 TDs......although both could come out well with it.

It's gonna' be interesting - that's for sure.

Traverse TD product from whomever .... with some kind of 9HP regardless of gear spread chosen...... are the other to watch for further out.

I sincerely hope Chrysler gets in on all of this especially that last.

- like something simple but not as small as it could be .... so I guess a Dart with -

Meanwhile -

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/volv...#axzz2CnLttkHo
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 11-20-2012 at 11:20 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    So..... if you really look at some of the details appears that milder Audi 3.0 V6 TDs are going to end up matched in at least a few places - with stronger per litre BMW i4 TDs but lower overall......although both could come out well with it.

It's gonna' be interesting - that's for sure.

Traverse TD product from whomever .... with some kind of 9HP regardless of gear spread chosen...... are the other to watch for further out.

I sincerely hope Chrysler gets in on all of this especially that last.

- like something simple but not as small as it could be .... so I guess a Dart with -

Meanwhile -

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/volv...#axzz2CnLttkHo
    I believe Fiat to be the best poised of the automakers in unveiling US market small diesels as they are considered by many to be at the forefront of small diesel technology. Sadly the upcoming Range Rover hybrid/ diesel with the TDV6 will not be offered in the US market. GM has access in many ways to the quite excellent VM Motori, and Fiat diesels which they debut in the US market soon with their Cruze Diesel which utilizes a Fiat powertrain JTD variant.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I wonder if the quite excellent 4.2 TDI would sell in a volume here in the US to justify it in this market? I would imagine the engine of course would be utilized in the A8 but also could be utilized in S Diesel variants of the A6, Q7, and A7 as well as the A5.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Actually, 'VM' appears to be lagging a bit behind - in order - of MB and then BMW for TD emissions control in a net sense - to name just two. ( Way early Euro 6 //// / US T2B2 etc - not talkin' so much about in the lab - but more about on the street or 'soon' or 'sooner'. )

The Audi 4.2 is becoming a bit dated in a sense..... as are many in VW / Audi's stable - just has to do with the normal life cycle of things and related - and it appears..... they're working on all of it as we speak.

So.... freshened up - yes, indeed.

( Would or could also be made into a nice PU motor going another way with it..... oh well )

This improved 3.0L we're now going to get was / is just the start and 'it' meaning the td program as a whole, will likely get better - faster....... as they go along.

I hope they can include the 6.0L V12 or a successor.... and really get going with it again.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 11-20-2012 at 03:13 PM.

jry
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    I dream of the day when VW/ Audi as well as BMW will bring their class leading performance diesels to the US. Audi's new 3.0 TTDi with 309 hp, and 480 lb ft of torque would be a far more compelling alternative to the relatively weak US spec 3.0 TDi. Also the new Audi W12 is a 6.3 liter W12 not the 6.0 liter W12 as stated in the post above.

What is keeping them from selling those power plants over here?
    '13 Chrysler 300 AWD, '14 Expy EL,'09 Escape Hybrid and shopping for a sports car.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by jry View Post
    What is keeping them from selling those power plants over here?
    Emissions , and certification reasons are a large part of the issue, and a more significant issue is the additional cost that they demand in relation to their gas competition.

jry
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    Emissions , and certification reasons are a large part of the issue, and a more significant issue is the additional cost that they demand in relation to their gas competition.
    So, Europe, that bastion of all things "green", the region that our current Administration is trying to emulate, allows their oil burners to pollute at a higher lever than we do in the states?

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

There are currently ONLY 62 vehicle configurations rated Euro Step VI all from either BMW, Mazda, or Mercedes. None are gasoline.

That is out of 3941 gasoline and diesel offerings.

So, Europe, that bastion of all things "green", the region that our current Administration is trying to emulate, allows their oil burners to pollute at a higher lever than we do in the states?
    Answer = yes and no!

EU Step V diesels appear to be lower particulate emissions than US gasser that emit very very fine particulates that pose greater health risk due to greater depth of respiratory penetration ...

NOx is interesting.

Step VI is 80 mgNOx/km while current US is about 43 mgNOx/km. Currently some scientists believe that within limits NOx is beneficial in that it suppresses the generation of ozone and subsequently smog ... currently usually the result of assorted combustion byproducts, complex hydrocarbons, from gasoline engines.

The challenge to be resolved is the optimum crossover points.
    Last edited by 44 mpg by 2010; 11-21-2012 at 10:57 PM.
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

With that being said many parts of Europe are not exactly notable for air quality although there are more sources of pollution than just automobiles.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information