Mercedes CLA starts at $29990 - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mercedes CLA starts at $29990

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Pinnacle's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mercedes CLA starts at $29990

This thing looks almost exactly like the CLS, nobody in their right mind will pick a Verano/Regal over this, even if the Verano/Regal is loaded. I've always liked how the CLS looked on the road and now its going to look like everyone driving the CLA is driving a $100000 car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

It will be interesting to see what impact this has. I can see it doing well or failing miserably and/or having unintended consequences for Mercedes, such as cannibalizing the C Class.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I never thought I would see the day that Mercedes, and their incessant drive downmarket would leave them with a lineup that compares so poorly to its competition in many ways. Appealing to the low hanging fruit at the bottom will never appease those who truly desire to have the best or nothing.

Mercedes Benz

FWD FOR $29,999 OR NOTHING

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Also what kind of hypocrisy would allow someone to accuse Escalade owners of being low hanging fruit luxury customers just above vagrants, and prostitutes but yet would defend a FWD economy car in drag as being a luxury car?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 balthazar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

This car never should have happened.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Xenon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    It will be interesting to see what impact this has. I can see it doing well or failing miserably and/or having unintended consequences for Mercedes, such as cannibalizing the C Class.
    C Class is going upmarket.

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    Also what kind of hypocrisy would allow someone to accuse Escalade owners of being low hanging fruit luxury customers just above vagrants, and prostitutes but yet would defend a FWD economy car in drag as being a luxury car?
    Well look at the situation:
    The market is demanding overall for more efficient cars, even more so in Europe
    There's significant growth opportunity in this segment.
    Daimler doesn't have a feeder brand that they can punt their economy fuel misers in. (BMW has Mini, Audi has VW)
    Daimler also has nothing in the high end, so they are stuck doing a balancing act with their cars (while BMW has Rolls Royce and VW has....everything else)

So they are kinda stuck having to appeal to buyers of all kinds instead of focusing on their traditional stuff. Besides, how can you call this "a FWD economy car in luxury drag" if MB has no economy car? This IS their economy car!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
    This thing looks almost exactly like the CLS, nobody in their right mind will pick a Verano/Regal over this, even if the Verano/Regal is loaded. I've always liked how the CLS looked on the road and now its going to look like everyone driving the CLA is driving a $100000 car.
    Bingo.

This will attract those wanna be types that buy the badge. The fact that it resembles a car worth 2-3 times its price is icing on the cake.

"I drive a CLA, you know, the baby CLS"

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

This car will no doubt sell very well for Mercedes. However there is a huge downside to that. Soon there will be lots of these cars everywhere. That increased volume and presence on the road will dilute not only the Mercedes badge, but also the whole CLS/CLA styling concept, which would in turn also damage the much more upmarket CLS' image. Why would I spend $72k+ buying a CLS if everyone and their mother is driving around in a car that most people would mistake the CLS for? The appeal of these cars is in their image, novel styling, and exclusivity. We will see an erosion of that.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    C Class is going upmarket.

Well look at the situation:
    The market is demanding overall for more efficient cars, even more so in Europe
    There's significant growth opportunity in this segment.
    Daimler doesn't have a feeder brand that they can punt their economy fuel misers in. (BMW has Mini, Audi has VW)
    Daimler also has nothing in the high end, so they are stuck doing a balancing act with their cars (while BMW has Rolls Royce and VW has....everything else)

So they are kinda stuck having to appeal to buyers of all kinds instead of focusing on their traditional stuff. Besides, how can you call this "a FWD economy car in luxury drag" if MB has no economy car? This IS their economy car!
    May I present exhibit A ( Actually the CLA is exhibit A, and this is technically exhibit B)?

If the XTS does not represent the brand heritage of a company that preceded the XTS with the FWD DTS than how can MB be given a pass with this utter travesty in comparison to its US brand values?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    I never thought I would see the day that Mercedes, and their incessant drive downmarket would leave them with a lineup that compares so poorly to its competition in many ways. Appealing to the low hanging fruit at the bottom will never appease those who truly desire to have the best or nothing.

Mercedes Benz

FWD FOR $29,999 OR NOTHING
    You think this is downmarket? During my trip to Canada last year, I saw a few first generation B-Classes. They look like fancy Honda Fits.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by CheetahDC View Post
    You think this is downmarket? During my trip to Canada last year, I saw a few first generation B-Classes. They look like fancy Honda Fits.
    I have seen them as well in person, and if MB brings that to the US I will cry myself to sleep in my memory foam bed with large luxury tears.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar ral1960's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

I thought this was a Ford Granada for a minute.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Saab, Cadillac

MB builds everything from compacts to city buses. It's only Americans who are sheltered from the brand's wide spectrum of products.

That said, the US is still MB's most profitable market likely because they can charge quite a premium for German taxis that we perceive to be exclusive. The CLA will eat into C-class sales but MB's market share will also expand. It's a risk but unlike the C230 hatchback I think this will pay off.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I am not convinced Buick is the target competitor for the new CLA...

I think it has more to do with the VW killer march....

The volume and profitability of VW has both Mercedes and BMW on the move to greater volume...

I'd suggest this very attractive mercedes CLA....is more a competitor for the up level Passat turbo...than the Buick Verano turbo....

Somehow I believe the verano turbo will smoke the Mercedes CLA although I don't think consumers will want anything other than the three pointed star at 30 grand....(at least the female buyer and those wishing to attract them)

I don't see this CLA as a performance vehicle although possibly the AMG version will scoot quite well....

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Avalanche

When cadillac had lower pricing than BMW and MB = cheapened the brand, not luxury, cant compete with sie Germans
    When MB breaks out a Toyota-priced car = effective strategy to fight Audi

I love it. What used to be an exclusive brand of pseudo luxury snobs who bought the badge, will soon be the realm of suburban teenagers wielding freshly-minted driver's licenses. All hail our new FWD-hooning overlords, to the ability to keep up with the Jones for $250 a month, the common man's Mercedes Benz!

And the suspension wont even be as good as the Regal GS's.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information