GM Inside News Forum banner

2013 Audi S8: Faster Than All of You

46K views 323 replies 28 participants last post by  germeezy1 
#1 · (Edited)
2013 Audi S8 First Test
Faster Than All of You (excerpts)
October 22, 2012 By Scott Evans | Photos Robert Kerian

How fast is your new whatever? Doesn't matter -- this full-size, four-door Audi is faster. That's right, kids, unless you're driving one of the absolute quickest cars on the market, the 2013 Audi S8 luxury sedan will probably show you its taillights.
Let's look at the numbers. This all-wheel drive luxo-cruiser weighs a stout 4619 pounds and packs a 520-horsepower, 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8 with 481 lb-ft of torque. Hah! Your Chevord Mustaro GZ-51 makes more power than that! Well, you'd better get that launch right, or you'll be explaining to your passengers why you just lost to a sedan. See, this new Audi S8 hits 60 mph in 3.5 seconds and runs the quarter mile in 11.8 seconds at 118.3 mph. Your Camaro ZL1 doesn't have a chance, and your Shelby GT500 better hook up or it's done, too. Of course, S8 buyers don't usually cross-shop Mustangs and Camaros, but it's still worth noting that you'd have to pay nearly the same coin for a Nissan GT-R or a Corvette ZR-1 that will actually beat the $110,000 Audi.
The only car in the class that can match the S8 for straight line speed is its distant cousin, the Porsche Panamera Turbo S, and it's still a dead heat. The Panamera will hit 60 mph in 3.5 seconds, same as the S8, and run the quarter in 11.8 seconds at 118.0 mph to the Audi's 11.8 seconds at 118.3 mph.

Motortrend

PS. I was going to post this earlier in the week but I’ve been busy so… This car - well, that and the Bentley Continental GT Speed currently in all the rags – exemplifies what’s unique about MLB Audis, Porsche and Bentley. ;-)

#4 ·
Yep, Quattro demonstrates that, when you get to this power level, getting power to the ground really, really matters. The quarter mile trap speed is not bad, at 118 mph. But, the GT500 that runs an identical 11.8 ET traps at 125 mph. The ZL1, which runs an identical 118 mph trap, ETs at 'only' 12.3. So, getting the power to the ground is roughly worth about a half-second in the quarter and almost all of that half second is gained at the launch.

That aside: HOLY COW -- full-sized sedans in the mid-3s to 60. That's insane!

#10 ·
The ZL1 has already broken into the 11 second range allegedly bone stock down to the air filter. This also illustrates why 0-60 in isolation is nigh on useless because that Mustang GT500 would be travelling 7 mph faster after 11.8 seconds.

A mighty fast sedan. Currently Porsche -with both the Turbo and Turbo S- has the only sedan(s) to duck under 12 seconds in the quarter. Looks like this is as fast as the Turbo and not much slower than the significantly more expensive (and less attractive IMO) Turbo S.

For sedans in this price range, the S8 is a great choice.
The CTS-V has also ran 11.9x stock down to the air filter, and will easily do so by normal drives with a drag radial. The S8's issue for me is that it is simply a shrinking violet, and I desire more gravitas for the fiscal expenditure.

That's a full-size luxury sedan faster than the CTS-V. Nothing against the CTS-V at all - which is amazing in itself. I read about this S8 a few months ago and was thoroughly impressed. That's having your cake and eating it too (I hate that stupid phrase). Full size and F'ing fast...
For all intents , and purposes the CTS-V is capable of performing in a way that is only marginally divergent from the S8 and for far less money.

Way faster than the STS V. Did they publish the mileage figures?
Pray tell can you remind me when the last STS V was made in relation to today?

#5 ·
A mighty fast sedan. Currently Porsche -with both the Turbo and Turbo S- has the only sedan(s) to duck under 12 seconds in the quarter. Looks like this is as fast as the Turbo and not much slower than the significantly more expensive (and less attractive IMO) Turbo S.

For sedans in this price range, the S8 is a great choice.

#6 ·
That's a full-size luxury sedan faster than the CTS-V. Nothing against the CTS-V at all - which is amazing in itself. I read about this S8 a few months ago and was thoroughly impressed. That's having your cake and eating it too (I hate that stupid phrase). Full size and F'ing fast...

#8 ·
For $110k, it better be damn fast. For $126k as tested? That is A LOT of money for any car.

Should Cadillac chase after something that will sell less than 500 units in the US? It would be nice to have it but lets get something a tad more practical here.

I wish the S8 looked more the part. A bigger grill? Still, pretty awesome car but again, it better be. lol

#32 ·
"um, uh...we have this:"

#11 ·
Probably the world’s greatest sleeper vehicle at this time...

If you want the same but have people notice you then the Porsche Panamera...

It also demonstrates that power has about reached the limit of practical tire grip technology.
I think we need aerodynamic skirting and PTO to a suction fan like the banned Brabham F1 Fan Car technology next, if power keeps going up... :D

;)

#13 ·
A rocket no doubt. Very impressive for a car of that size. The hi-po flagship segment now has a new benchmark.

However, it simply doesn't look the part. Audi's S line does not look impressive from a design standpoint and for that much coin, I'd expect a it look classy, but clearly more aggressive and purposeful.

Too plain Jane for my taste, but I certainly respect the performance.

#16 ·
No problem at all, and truth be told the S8 is simply not competition for either of those cars. Realistically it's true competitors are the S63/65, XJR, and Alpina B7.

Cadillac (and Chevrolet with the Camaro and Vette) had better learn a little more about high performance AWD or they won't be able to compete into the future. Over 400hp to just the rear wheels is just pissing away the power.
I drive a RWD car quite regularly with very near to 400 hp, and 400 lb ft of torque. I can emphatically assure you that this car could easily handle another 100 horsepower, and that is utilizing a simply not notable in any way 255 mm width tire.

The A8/S8 is literally the last large luxury sedan that I would buy notwithstanding the Equus which I do not even consider a true luxury car. The 7 series, XJ, S class, and Range Rover for me shade it in nearly every way, and quite simply I have no desire for a car that is such a shrinking violet in this rarefied air.

#22 ·
Cadillac doesnt need a car like this. Its quite simple. Why divert resources into a special, special, special edition when there isnt a full size car yet?

Would it be nice if Cadillac had a car like this? Hell yes. Sadly, Cadillac needs to become a better brand before they do a vehicle like this.

FFS, keep calm and chive on.

Once again, you are sadly mistaken in why a Cadillac is a Cadillac despite your supposed image laden life.

#23 ·
FFS think it through.

Cadillac needs an Omega. No amount of arguing and bitching and spreadsheet manipulation from anyone here or at GM can change that FACT.

Now... what is the level of effort to drop a better engine... nicer seats... tighter suspension... and better features into Omega? Absolutely nothing.

That's how Audi and everyone else manages to do it!!! There is no excuse for Cadillac NOT to. Unless of course, you work for GM, and excuses are about as abundant as ants in an ant farm.

#24 ·
So, you just want GM to just drop in stuff and charge more for it?

Once again, what is the point of this super duper special edition of a very low sales model? Nothing. Is it going to get more buyers to get into an A8? Nope. Is it awesome for magazines to rag the crap out of it just to prove its the fastest? Do people purchase an A8 in hopes that itll be the S8 of their dreams?

As I said, GM needs a complete lineup before attempting this type of super small niche. I never said for it to not happen.

#26 ·
It's to build the brand!! Cadillac cannot be a respected global luxury brand WITHOUT these types of cars!!
Of course it's all about the awesomeness of a magazine cover shot or fold out. Of course it's about proving which is fastest.

An S8 (or even an RS8) won't get more people into an A8... but it will make Audi a more recognizable brand! Who give a schnit if it only sells 500?

What's the point of a ZR1 Corvette? Couldn't they just make do with a standard Corvette Coupe? Why bother with a GS or Z06 as well!

Complete lineup? Cadillac will never have a "complete lineup" without a flagship -- no matter how many SUVs and CUVs Cadillac thinks they can stuff into a luxury lineup.

With Omega MUST COME a Performance variant. Now I believe it's already been said that Cadillac will have a V or a PE but not both. Personally, I think that's problematic and short-sighted.

#25 ·
These cars are not about sales: they are about building the brand. The demonstrate the capabilities of their manufacturers. Certainly a car like the S8, which according to testers is not just really fast but also quite a good drive, set the tone for the rest of the line-up. Don't kid yourself, the CTS-V does a similar feat for Cadillac, but at a class down. People who care about cars would not take Cadillac as seriously as we do if the CTS-V weren't so capable. And people who don't care as much as we do, DO care about people's perception of the brand. With Cadillac, the styling and the growing performance reputation opens some doors.

That said, in the uber-class, the really impressive cars (to me) are the big Rolls and Bentley. Sure they're fast, but they are extraordinary in so many ways: speed, style, materials ... they aren't trying to be "performance cars" so much as doing everything very, very well. That's what you expect at that price class, but it would be great to see Cadillac aim that high for its flagship, even though price-wise it will likely be a class down.

#28 ·
Also the Cadillac CTS-V should be considered nothing less than a rousing success, and as a testament to it's excellence is a retail value that is not utterly divergent from the BMW M5, and Mercedes E63 AMG.

#29 ·
At least the new Lincoln mkz is as fast!(mks)?

Good to see this 126 grand 4600 lb beast can roll out quick acceleration. Is the S7 as fast or Audi beautiful S5?

How does. It stack up to it's German and British rivals?

Jaguar xjR ......mb e or s63 or s65?.... BMW m series 5 which is rear wheel drive?

I d still take the cts V coupe over any of the vehicles if it were my money...

It's been said there is a lot more to performance from a roll than a dig and often times that's where all wheel drive is not the end all.....otherwise why are BMW m series all rear wheel drive cars?... The ultimate driving machine from Germany chides rear wheel drive over all wheel drive for what reason?

Or is the new much heralded M 3 coming in it's next generation as all wheel drive?

#33 ·
I also would prefer the V over all of these cars, and although it gives up launch traction no one aside from myself would ever call a vehicle with a 118 mph trap speeds slow. Simply put AWD is a band aid utilized on these vehicles because they are inherently FWD , and that would never work for a true performance vehicle.

I disagree, and also have experience with cars in mid 300hp RWD range.

In this country, unless you are taking it to a track, the operating speed is 0-80 or so. Once you pull second or third, you're right, 400 to the rear wheels, or even 500 is fine - and that's on near perfect pavement on a dry day. But while you're in first, this is just too much power and is pissed away by torque management (human or computer). Throw in our awful roads, etc and even 500 in second has to be limited. We don't have an autobahn - there's no public place to rocket to 150. That's why AWD is so key, it allows full torque to the wheels in first and second gear. That's where most Americans are going to get the thrill and use the power. Further, a touch of water, or a ripple in the pavement doesn't mess anything up. Forget the benefits in real weather where RWD just doesn't compare in any meaningful way (and you know that). Also, making the tires any larger adversely affects performance in weather. Also hurts fuel economy.

I'm surprised that Germany leads us in technology that is more applicable here, than there!
As someone who owns two of each vehicle type in some ways I am quite qualified to speak on this subject. Take my 300C for instance which I specifically bought RWD despite the best efforts of my dealer to offer me an AWD 300C. In exchange for better inclement weather traction I would have to put up with compromised ride/ handling balance, fuel economy, and performance as well as aesthetic things like a slightly raised ride height. Keep in mind that the Audi Quattro system mainly masks the chassis inherent FWD based AWD system, and does not propel it to the front of the class for handling. AWD in , and of itself is a beneficial addition to an inherently good RWD chassis which makes cars like the GTR notable in many ways.

Also there are many ways that a powerful RWD car can easily put down the power levels that you state, and some of them have no issue with it in showroom spec. I drive quite regularly a 446 rwhp showroom stock 392 Challenger, and that car has no issue putting down that level of power to a 255 width rear tire even in 1st gear with a driver that is skilled in RWD vehicles. Simply put my time in a 720 hp RWD C5 makes me a far better driver than had that time have been spent in an AWD car that invites a driver to utilize throttle control that would send them backwards into a hedge in a powerful RWD car.

FOR THE AVERAGE DRIVER AWD HAS SIGNIFICANT BENEFITS BUT FOR THOSE THAT DERIVE GREAT JOY FROM DRIVING NOTHING BEATS A POWERFUL RWD CAR.

#31 ·
I think they(GM, but really Ford and Chrysler too) should do more performance flagship large sedans, but that's because in my intuition I don't think the incremental cost of these things is that big. Most of the cost of engineering a new model/platform is in the design of the unibody and the styling, I think. Simply adding a larger engine and other performance upgrades actually doesn't cost very much, in the big scheme of things. They get to charge a price far higher than what it probably cost them to build them on top of what they've already spent to make the base model. It won't be *profitable* because they obviously don't sell in big volume but the marketing/brand image benefits are huge for something that really doesn't cost much.

Again that's just sort of my intuition on this, I don't actually know for a fact if that's how it works.

#34 · (Edited)
I also would prefer the V over all of these cars, and although it gives up launch traction no one aside from myself would ever call a vehicle with a 118 mph trap speeds slow. Simply put AWD is a band aid utilized on these vehicles because they are inherently FWD , and that would never work for a true performance vehicle.
Too funny; yes, and once again you display your complete lack of knowledge on the subject, actually most subjects – educated to the facts is no burden, ignorance is not bliss. Spamming almost every GMI discussion with nonsense ruins many threads – congratulations. ;-)
PS. Still waiting for you to post some proof… oh well, no hurry ;-)

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f37/next-audi-a4-use-e-quattro-awd-shed-weight-113023/
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...ntley-will-underpin-all-future-models-113250/

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...itching-all-aluminum-platform-next-a8-113156/

#35 · (Edited)
Can anyone perhaps discern for me what the definition of inherently is? Can anyone also illuminate me as to what drivetrain configuration the Audi A8 would be were it not AWD? Has the S class, 7 series, or XJ ever came in a FWD alternative or variant, and is it not true that the A8 is the only luxury car that is a FWD based AWD vehicle?

I find it a bit sad that I have to endure personal attacks from people who lack the ability to actually prove that I am wrong. If I truly bring nothing to this forum but spam than perhaps I should leave this forum to those who are truly knowledgeable, and would like to overrun this great forum with insults aimed at GM owners.

#36 ·
Offering a longitudinal powertrain as FWD does not make said vehicle inherently FWD only a transverse powertrain arrangement would satisfy such a statement. This is fact. The Facts speak for themselves both concerning the A8 and other... What’s truly unfortunate…. well… for another day. Hypocrisy or laugh of the day/morning-smile??

#50 ·
The Mercedes brand s class is trash compared to the s8.

I'm kidding. Both nice luxury cars. The new luxury Cadillac ciel would be the American interpretation of luxury. It'll be interesting to see how it upsets the euro faithful. Pick your poison I guess ?

#53 · (Edited)
How does the Audi R8 v8 and the beautiful S 5 compare to the Audi S8? and why can't Audi get their sports cars or sports coupes to be as fast as their s8 sedan?

Both nice vehicles in their respective segments but certainly not accelerating fireballs like this new S8....

Time for the Audi engineers to get back to work on the rest of their lineup or at least their two sports cars.

Why is the TT RS faster around the track than the r8 v10?

Whose running the show over at Audi? Stop letting the cars out half baked,

#55 ·
I believe the automobile magazine car of the year is the tesla s and personally find this as a statement of American ingenuity.

Far superior to the much more expensive euro luxury sedans from Mercedes and Audi or even BMW.

No gasoline needed period and zero to 60 mph in recent tests under 4 seconds!

#62 ·
Regarding Cadillac and the Gen V smallblock: no doubt that there were times during its development when decisions had to be made with am eye towards cost and the prime intended application in trucks. What would be nice is if you had a skunkworks of GM powertrain engineers and said: take this basic foundation, but instead of worrying about low cost, give me a unit with world-class NVH, smooth, effortless torque, surprisingly good fuel economy and emissions, etc. Give them a bunch of parameters that can't easily be changed (e.g., the basic block), some areas that can be changed if the payback is worthwhile (OHC heads? Three-valve? Viper-like cam shifting, turbocharging, etc) and a bunch of areas that can be easily changed (bolt-on parts beyond the basic shortblock, engine mounts, etc.). Let them come up with a Cadillac-exclusive variant that offers performance worthy of a flagship luxury car and enough of a difference to differentiate itself from other applications. Give it a brand of its own (like 'the Northstar system') and voila!

As long as there's substance there in terms of engineering improvements and performance, I think it would work.

#64 ·
The existing Gen V V8 will work if marketed correctly because it is one of the most advanced engines on the earth, and the only one of it's kind. I would like to see Cadillac exclusive, and iconic heritage displacements marketed as well as described in cubic inches. Displacements of 368, 390, and / or 425 would be quite divergent from the non Cadillac specific displacements that would be marketed, and described by liters. GM with the LT1 has only scratched the surface of what this Gen V V8 is capable of, and making one Cadillac specific V8 with a forced induction and naturally aspirated variant would be a great way to make Cadillac's engines more exclusive.